Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

New research to back up low carb diet and fat burning.

"Elite endurance athletes who eat very few carbohydrates burned more than twice as much fat as high-carb athletes during maximum exertion and prolonged exercise in a new study - the highest fat-burning rates under these conditions ever seen by researchers."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-11/osu-eaw111615.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Most interesting thing in that article is that glycogen stores did not reduce on a restricted carb diet. That been the case then surely carb loading or increasing carb intake isnt going to increases your glycogen storage either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Djoucer wrote: »
    New research to back up low carb diet and fat burning. while running at sub maximal efforts in Ultra marathoners

Few Caveats

- All participants were Ultra Marathon runners, there was no comparison between Ultra Marathoner's and Marathon runners

- Participants running at sub maximal levels for 3 hours (64% Vo2 max) well below relative race efforts for that duration (significantly lower RER)

A fair bit of bias overall in the study to be honest with very little bearing on performance.

Full manuscript here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

Few Caveats

- All participants were Ultra Marathon runners, there was no comparison between Ultra Marathoner's and Marathon runners

- Participants running at sub maximal levels for 3 hours (64% Vo2 max) well below relative race efforts for that duration (significantly lower RER)

A fair bit of bias overall in the study to be honest with very little bearing on performance.

Full manuscript here

You know this is the ultra thread here! Marathon performance wasn't the subject of the experiment. I don't know why you're raising the subject of marathon runners in relation to this paper.

Athletics doesn't end at the marathon. There is a lot to be learned by looking at the extremes, as this paper shows (thanks for the link to the original by the way... I've been looking for it a few days and hadn't found it).

- It's not about comparing marathon runners to ultra marathon runners. It's much more interesting than that.

- It sounds like participants were running at levels of intensity which would be quite compatable to the levels of intensity that they are training to compete (at elite level) in. Well below what relative race efforts? This has nothing to do with marathon runners remember.

There is no bias there whatsoever. I don't think the word marathon was mentioned once in the paper.

I've been hearing about this experiment for ages. It's been flagged for some time by some of the more interesting sports scientists (and ultra runners taking part in the experiments). It's great to see some good science being done on the subject using actual elite athletes that have been going HFLC for months and years, rather than a short timeframe, and being tested over relatively longer durations.

It's a pity its so hard to measure longer durations... it'd be really interesting to get some hard data beyond 12 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I hadn't noticed that it was confined to ultra-runners. Thanks for pointing that out, Myles.

That on its own doesn't give me pause. The research and conclusions could still be valid.

What does give me pause, however, is the fact that the study was funded by the Atkins people, proponents, miracle of miracles, of a high-fat, low-carb, best-selling diet.

I mean, what are the chances?

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    You know this is the ultra thread here! Marathon performance wasn't the subject of the experiment. I don't know why you're raising the subject of marathon runners in relation to this paper.

Athletics doesn't end at the marathon. There is a lot to be learned by looking at the extremes, as this paper shows (thanks for the link to the original by the way... I've been looking for it a few days and hadn't found it).

- It's not about comparing marathon runners to ultra marathon runners. It's much more interesting than that.

- It sounds like participants were running at levels of intensity which would be quite compatable to the levels of intensity that they are training to compete (at elite level) in. Well below what relative race efforts? This has nothing to do with marathon runners remember.

There is no bias there whatsoever. I don't think the word marathon was mentioned once in the paper.

I've been hearing about this experiment for ages. It's been flagged for some time by some of the more interesting sports scientists (and ultra runners taking part in the experiments). It's great to see some good science being done on the subject using actual elite athletes that have been going HFLC for months and years, rather than a short timeframe, and being tested over relatively longer durations.

It's a pity its so hard to measure longer durations... it'd be really interesting to get some hard data beyond 12 hours.

Well aware of the fact it is an ultra marathon thread however given that 3 hours was the duration tested the duration is too short to draw conclusions from in terms of ultra marathon running as 3 hours duration would fall short off all bar elite 50k runners with relation to "maximal exertion" and even then effort levels would be higher than 64% of Vo2max. This would have a huge bearing on the glycogen utilization.

Similarly one of the references (Phinney 1983) also uses this effort level in his study of elite cyclists performances despite it being too far short of race efforts.

Well aware of the fact it is an ultra marathon thread however given that 3 hours was the duration tested the duration is too short to draw conclusions from in terms of ultra marathon running as 3 hours duration would fall short off all bar elite 50k runners with relation to "maximal exertion" and even then effort levels would be higher than 64% of Vo2max. This would have a huge bearing on the glycogen utilization.

Similarly one of the references (Phinney 1983) also uses this effort level in his study of elite cyclists performances despite it being too far short of race efforts.

Yeah, as I say it's a pity it's so difficult to measure long ultra efforts in the lab (never mind in real life). But 64% Vo2max doesn't sound outragous for maximal effort in a long ultra. Beyond 16 hours / 200km or so is really quite unlike the marathon in terms of realistic maximal exertion. (And most of these guys would probably be well able for reasonably fast marathons (2:31 for Zach Bitter anyway)).

Yeah, as I say it's a pity it's so difficult to measure long ultra efforts in the lab (never mind in real life). But 64% Vo2max doesn't sound outragous for maximal effort in a long ultra. Beyond 16 hours / 200km or so is really quite unlike the marathon in terms of realistic maximal exertion. (And most of these guys would probably be well able for reasonably fast marathons (2:31 for Zach Bitter anyway)).

Need to rope in a few of the treadmill record chasers ;)

While it doesn't sound outlandish in terms of race effort it does make a huge difference at that duration as the rate of exertion would dramatically change from a race effort to a handy long run (to draw a comparison would be like trying to determine fueling efficiency of a Kenya by having them run a 5 mile @ MP)

For what it's worth I do think there is a place for fat adaptation in Ultra distance running (and even for 4+ marathon runners to an extent) however I must confess I am not a fan of Volek's work on the subject and don't feel that alot of his research actually lends itself to supporting the advocates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Catriona Jennings to run for Ireland in the World 50K in Doha. Gary O'Hanlon & Barry Minnock to run in the men's race.

Took it from some other threads on here that Jennings wasn't doing anything since London 2012.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Catriona Jennings to run for Ireland in the World 50K in Doha. Gary O'Hanlon & Barry Minnock to run in the men's race.

Took it from some other threads on here that Jennings wasn't doing anything since London 2012.

From my googling about this, she reverted to rowing thinking it would be easy to qualify for Rio in, then found out it wasn't..

• Advertisement

From my googling about this, she reverted to rowing thinking it would be easy to qualify for Rio in, then found out it wasn't..

That's what I thought alright. Wonder on what basis or results she was selected?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It would be strange if we hadn't heard she'd run a marathon recently, unless she's done something very low key or has done a 50K somewhere. She might have entered the open race though?

How come it's in Doha again?

It would be strange if we hadn't heard she'd run a marathon recently, unless she's done something very low key or has done a 50K somewhere. She might have entered the open race though?

On the Athletics Ireland press release so they're entering the team. Google doesn't show anything results wise in last couple of years. Hopefully she runs well anyway.
    How come it's in Doha again?

Money, money, money. Was talking to Gary last week and he said there is nothing to do there and the conditions are awful to run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

On that point, this is the athletics and running thread should adventure races and events like the out and back, back again and out again Wicklow way not be posted to the TDAR thread?

On that point, this is the athletics and running thread should adventure races and events like the out and back, back again and out again Wicklow way not be posted to the TDAR thread?

Because it is running. And clearly marked the ultra thread.

Seriously, ridiculous contribution to an otherwise interesting thread.

There's a wealth of research and you pick up on some petty nonsense that has nothing to do with running or the ultra thread or even the tdar thread.

Djoucer wrote: »
    Because it is running. And clearly marked the ultra thread.

Seriously, ridiculous contribution to an otherwise interesting thread.

I'm just pointing out that there is an adventure race forum specifically for a lot of the events mentioned in this thread! If I was argumentative, I could suggest that this thread is a ridiculous contribution to an otherwise interesting forum!

I think we need a poll!

I'm just pointing out that there is an adventure race forum specifically for a lot of the events mentioned in this thread! If I was argumentative, I could suggest that this thread is a ridiculous contribution to an otherwise interesting forum!

I think we need a poll!

You're not pointing out anything. It's all running and features Irish international runners.

It's an interesting thread and easy to ignore due to the name "ultra thread."

You're an interesting poster with no interest in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I think we need a poll!

What section of the WW did don kayak? Cycle?

lgk wrote: »
    What section of the WW did don kayak? Cycle?

Wasn't aware that an adventure race had to have these 3 components if I'm honest. From what I read, I see he had to hurdle a fence though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And what exact adventure race do you have issues with on this thread?

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    And what exact adventure race do you have issues with on this thread?

Don't have an issue with any of these non standard events (probably wouldn't call some of them races as that would imply a field of competitors). I was just being a pedant and wondering should they be discussed in a forum specifically designated for adventure races. Seems these non standard events aren't adventure races as they don't have biking/kayaking/rock climbing/bungee jumping etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Wasn't aware that an adventure race had to have these 3 components if I'm honest. From what I read, I see he had to hurdle a fence though!

Ah, so it was the hurdling threw you. Sure enough you wouldn't see anyone hurdling at a track event...:D

See here for the generally accepted international understanding of what adventure racing involves, and head over to TDAR where the current and very epic World Championships are being tracked.

Mourne Skyline race was was on channel 4 this morning. Should be 4od now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We had to run through water (flooding ) doing the clonakilty marathon one year, it was half a foot deep and was 200metres long. Was it an adventure race? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Live updates from world 50k in Doha here: http://my6.raceresult.com/46817/?lang=en#1_EBD534
    After 5k Gary O'H is in 15th and Bazman 22nd but it's all pretty bunched
    Catriona Jennings in 5th in the Women's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

5 laps in and the lead men have upped to pace to pull away from Gary and the others.Gary still in 8th place but over a minute behind.

In the women's race Catriona is in 5th overall but is in a pack of 5 chasing the bronze. The two leaders are over 4 minutes ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The 50k Wicklow Way race is this weekend isn't it?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The 50k Wicklow Way race is this weekend isn't it?

No standard distances this weekend outside of Doha. It's one of Don's 50 mile events on the Wicklow Way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

No standard distances this weekend outside of Doha. It's one of Don's 50 mile events on the Wicklow Way.

Yep, its the 50 mile swim on the wicklow way. It was a running event but with the forecast for tomorrow they had to change it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yep, its the 50 mile swim on the wicklow way. It was a running event but with the forecast for tomorrow they had to change it up.

Does that mean it has to go in the 'adventure race' forum, as per TRR's dictum?

Advertisement