Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gary 11th in 3:07, Bazman 21st in 3:16 and Catriona Jennings 4th in 3:31 (new Irish Record?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

menoscemo wrote: »
    Gary 11th in 3:07, Bazman 21st in 3:16 and Catriona Jennings 4th in 3:31 (new Irish Record?)

Whatever about the longer distances, but surely the fact Jennings coming 4th in the world despite being a rower for the last few years, and before that a complete also ran in terms of world marathon running, illustrates just how piss poor the standard of 50km running really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Whatever about the longer distances, but surely the fact Jennings coming 4th in the world despite being a rower for the last few years, and before that a complete also ran in terms of world marathon running, illustrates just how piss poor the standard of 50km running really is.

Whatever about the validity of your post, surely someone of your journalistic aspirations should be capable of constructing a proper sentence? It's both and neither a question or a statement. It looks like a multi word pile up on a rush hour literary motorway. The standard is not what it could be for sure, the awarding of this race to Doha by the IAU is not helping it's cause. There were many top 50k runners absent from the starting field yesterday. The race could use some proper promotion and investment from the governing body. Well done to Gary Barry and Catriona for producing very creditable performances in difficult conditions and circumstances.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Whatever about the validity of your post, surely someone of your journalistic aspirations should be capable of constructing a proper sentence? It's both and neither a question or a statement. It looks like a multi word pile up on a rush hour literary motorway.

There really was no need for this. Just because you read something you don't like doesn't mean it is acceptable to make personal references and insults like that.

On the topic of the 50k, it seems like the distance itself probably does it little favours. Not considered an ultra by many, too close to the marathon distance to be a a genuine alternative in terms of prize money or prestige for Olympic standard marathon runners. Every distance increases by approx 100% on the previous distance. 100-200-400-800-1500-3000-5000-10000-21100-42200.

50km is only a slight percentage increase on the marathon. Not really sure what the point of it is. It doesn't seem to attract either the best marathon runners or ultra runners by all accounts. It's sort of stuck in no mans land. It would be akin to having a 450m sprint on top of having a 400m.

That's my opinion. If you don't like it, hit the gym or something to release the unnecessary aggression, but leave the personal remarks behind. It is not a good reflection of somebody to take pot shots like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Prize money a bit weak isn't it? 2000 USD for female winner! :eek:
    Where the Irish folks sent over by Athletics Ireland or did they pay for that off their own backs?
    How did Catriona qualify?

• Advertisement

There really was no need for this. Just because you read something you don't like doesn't mean it is acceptable to make personal references and insults like that.

On the topic of the 50k, it seems like the distance itself probably does it little favours. Not considered an ultra by many, too close to the marathon distance to be a a genuine alternative in terms of prize money or prestige for Olympic standard marathon runners. Every distance increases by approx 100% on the previous distance. 100-200-400-800-1500-3000-5000-10000-21100-42200.

50km is only a slight percentage increase on the marathon. Not really sure what the point of it is. It doesn't seem to attract either the best marathon runners or ultra runners by all accounts. It's sort of stuck in no mans land. It would be akin to having a 450m sprint on top of having a 400m.

That's my opinion. If you don't like it, hit the gym or something to release the unnecessary aggression, but leave the personal remarks behind. It is not a good reflection of somebody to take pot shots like that.

With respect my learned friend, you will see if you examine closer my reply that I am largely in agreement with the point you make. I take exception occasionally to the way you make your points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Rick Ford

Where the Irish folks sent over by Athletics Ireland or did they pay for that off their own backs?
    How did Catriona qualify?
    Piss poor prize money,
    They were sent over by AAI as there was an expression of interest link sent out by Aai through their social media and on their website,so wud guess ur focked if ur not on fb/twitter or have a smart fone or check website ,.am not aware of Cj's marathon times but there is a qualifying time to be eligable for selection..

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Er, are you mixing up Caitriona Jennings and Sinead Jennings? Sinead rows, Caitriona is a runner as far as I know. She ran in the 2012 Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Whatever about the validity of your post, surely someone of your journalistic aspirations should be capable of constructing a proper sentence? It's both and neither a question or a statement. It looks like a multi word pile up on a rush hour literary motorway. The standard is not what it could be for sure, the awarding of this race to Doha by the IAU is not helping it's cause. There were many top 50k runners absent from the starting field yesterday. The race could use some proper promotion and investment from the governing body. Well done to Gary Barry and Catriona for producing very creditable performances in difficult conditions and circumstances.

I'm a grammar Nazi and even I think this post is way OTT. Many posts here use much worse English than this. Ironically your own post is full of errors. There's no excuse for using it's when you should use its.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pc11 wrote: »
    Er, are you mixing up Caitriona Jennings and Sinead Jennings? Sinead rows, Caitriona is a runner as far as I know. She ran in the 2012 Olympics.

Catriona packed in running to try qualify for the Olympics in rowing, found out it was tougher than she thought it would be and seemingly went back to running.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/catr%C3%ADona-jennings-calls-time-on-her-bid-to-make-rio-olympics-1.2026109

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

I'm a grammar Nazi and even I think this post is way OTT. Many posts here use much worse English than this. Ironically your own post is full of errors. There's no excuse for using it's when you should use its.

Ironically, you missed a comma after "Ironically".

How about predictive text as an excuse. I have being using it for years but their is know getting to grips with it.Grammar gas chamber for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

It's better than the prize money for the rest of the ultra world championship races by about 2000USD! I don't know about the T&F WC, but isn't the prize money for an olympic gold exactly 0 (in your currency of choice) as well?

I think they need prize money in this one for the reasons outlined above. It's basically a marathon distance, but with little attraction to the very top level marathon runners.

Well done to the Irish team on their performances. Whatever about any griping and bitching about the level of the competition, you can only compete against those who enter. The Irish team certainly punched above their weight, so well done to them on representing their country with such distinction. (I'd love to see them all give 100km a go though :))

Enduro wrote: »
    It's better than the prize money for the rest of the ultra world championship races by about 2000USD! I don't know about the T&F WC, but isn't the prize money for an olympic gold exactly 0 (in your currency of choice) as well?

Yeh the Olympics is 0, but for the World Championships there's $60,000 for the winner. I remember Derval getting a good pay check for her 4th place back in 2009. Made up for the drop in funding she had received only 12 months earlier!

http://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/beijing-2015-money

And for a subject change...

Well done to everyone who (a) started and (b) finished Don's 50 mile race on the Wicklow way on Saturday. That weather was truely awful. Well done to Don and his crew for keeping the race going and ensuring that everyone got home safely. That was a big challenge under the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Well done to Don and his crew for keeping the race going and ensuring that everyone got home safely. That was a big challenge under the circumstances.

Will he see this though?

Not sure if he posts here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So you mean every time I post saying someone has had a great run at a world class race, or that someone is playing great over in one of the match threads on the rugby forum, they may not actually see it?

I better not ask you about those rumours I've been hearing about Santa.....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Well done to everyone who (a) started and (b) finished Don's 50 mile race on the Wicklow way on Saturday. That weather was truely awful. Well done to Don and his crew for keeping the race going and ensuring that everyone got home safely. That was a big challenge under the circumstances.

And well done to Dogslysmile coming second only four minutes behind first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Haven't seen the results, well done Dogslysmile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Only 7 minutes separated the top 3 after 9 and half hours of racing.

Well done Dogsly.

I opted to stay in bed given the weather. A great race by all accounts.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Haven't seen the results, well done Dogslysmile.

Results are here

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Was an enjoyable run overall although it seemed like a lot more than 50 miles :D

The first 30k to Glendalough felt really long but there was a decent bit of shelter in the forest areas. The group of runners spread out really fast. Had a nice sambo and soup at the checkpoint and began the trek towards Glenmalure. Feet were wet and i knew that wasn't going to change for the whole day. I had spare socks in my backpack but foolishly didn't cover the pack with a waterproof cover.

It was a mild temperature up until about 3pm and the wind on Djouce was as horrific as expected. It was actually easier to stay off the boardwalk and just let the wind drag you diagonally in the right direction. The wind felt like sharp hail stones being thrown in your face.

I arrived into Crone at 4.40pm and was given a seat in front of a heater. Waterproof gloves were wet inside so tried to dry them out a bit. Don suggested changing clothes but i felt fine and not too cold. He assured me 2 hours would be enough for the remaining 23k but i laughed and said 3 minimum. It took almost 4 hours as i went off course for about 30 mins.

I came home in 12:43 which is about 2 hours slower than my Highland Fling or Mourne Way Ultra times.

The checkpoints and helpers were great and hope to do it again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ultrarunner

I think this race, the Wicklow Way 50M, is destined to grow.

It's a fabulous course and finishing in the city is a big plus. The weather made for tough conditions. I've been out in worse but it was the relentlessness of it that eventually became exhausting. The aid stations and organisation were superb.

Next year Don plans to run a 100 miler out and back as well the 50. I have to say in those conditions I don't think I'd be able for it. 28000 ft of climb - up and down Mt Everest. It's tempting!

I've been like a kid in a sweet shop doing ultras this year - this was my tenth. WW 50M was among the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Rick Ford

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

quick question.... love running and am new to the ultra scene....what do runners do to maintain muscle and decent physique, is it just a case of eat eat eat or is there a a supplement along with eating a lot i shoulld invest in. for 8 weeks in the summer i row as a hobby. in the past ive given up running around april to try add body weight but this year id like to continue running and maintain weight and muscle mass for rowing season.
    any advice welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Yes, eat as much as you possibly can. Also, lie on the sofa. You'll put on lots of muscle* very quickly.

*may not actually be muscle

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

i attend gym too 3/4times / week. but finding it difficult to maintain weight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You keep eating just normally. If you run a lot of miles you will initially lose a few pounds but that will stabilise after a few weeks.

If you're insisting on a supplement, get some whey protein powder and have a protein drink after a workout, but in general real food is what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Ultra trail Mount Fuji on Sky channel 507 at 17:10 today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

the lad who said he did 100 marathons in 100 days this year says he's going to do 60 ultras (39 miles) in 60 days next year

http://steveysepicadventure.com/#contact

Advertisement