Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

the lad who said he did 100 marathons in 100 days this year says he's going to do 60 ultras (39 miles) in 60 days next year

http://steveysepicadventure.com/#contact

Any reason to believe he didn't run the 100? He had some impressive results in the quadrathon (sp) and other back to back events so I assumed he was legit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Any reason to believe he didn't run the 100? He had some impressive results in the quadrathon (sp) and other back to back events so I assumed he was legit

Early on in the 100 marathons there was a lot of doubt surrounding his runs. No garmin file shared as evidence, arranging to meet people to run with him then running somewhere else etc. I lost interest after a while to be honest, maybe he proved he did run 100 maras. Best of luck to him with his next challenge, hope he raises a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

Next year Don plans to run a 100 miler out and back as well the 50. I have to say in those conditions I don't think I'd be able for it. 28000 ft of climb - up and down Mt Everest. It's tempting!

Out of interest where did you get that figure for total climb. It looks a little bit high, to say the least, given that the UTMB has about 9000m of climb for example.

Rick Ford wrote: »

It's a bit of a rambling post, mixing in some pretty damn significant points (PED use and testing in Ultras) with some trivial ones (One iconic runner now needing to qualify for one race).

His overall point is a bit king Kanute though. As ultrarunning becomes more popular it will inevitably change. He's also way too insular and American-centric in his thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ultrarunner

Enduro wrote: »
    Out of interest where did you get that figure for total climb. It looks a little bit high, to say the least, given that the UTMB has about 9000m of climb for example.

The elevation for the WW50 M was 14,111 ft according to my Suunto, so I just doubled it for the out and back. The watch is supposed to have a barometric altimeter. Don't know how accurate it is to be honest.

100 miler in the winter will be very tough (at least my my standards) but a piece of cake for you! :)

• Advertisement

The elevation for the WW50 M was 14,111 ft according to my Suunto, so I just doubled it for the out and back. The watch is supposed to have a barometric altimeter. Don't know how accurate it is to be honest.

100 miler in the winter will be very tough (at least my my standards) but a piece of cake for you! :)

I thought they added in more climbing to the UTMB to bring it above 10,000m?

The climb for the WW50 M was 5,397m according to my Suunto and the descent 5,568m, giving 10,965m for the out and back. The watch is supposed to have a barometric altimeter. Don't know how accurate it is to be honest.

My original estimate was based on doubling the 14,111ft that Strava estimated for the W50 M.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

The climb for the WW50 M was 5,397m according to my Suunto and the descent 5,568m, giving 10,965m for the out and back. The watch is supposed to have a barometric altimeter. Don't know how accurate it is to be honest.

I don't think that is correct. I got the first 62k on Strava before my battery died and it says elevation was 2,224m

https://www.strava.com/activities/445182599

Think the total for the 50 miler is about 2,950m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have a Suunto Ambit as well and I can see on my stats in strava that it definitely overestimates the elevation (so yes, I don't deserve to be so high up on the leaderboard - sorry bout that!)

I can't post the link to my Strava as I have a new user name on boards. I haven't posted for years so I picked a new name.

• Advertisement

The winter bit is the x-factor there! Could be a long time out for a lot of people alright. These things are never a piece of cake!

I heard they changed the course a little this year, but haven't looked at the details. I've run it 3 times, and its been a different course each time (only my last one wasn't affected by weather diversions). There was already plenty of climb in it :)

grahamor wrote: »
    I don't think that is correct. I got the first 62k on Strava before my battery died and it says elevation was 2,224m

https://www.strava.com/activities/445182599

Think the total for the 50 miler is about 2,950m

That looks a lot more likely.

Measuring climb (or distance) over an irregular trail route (i.e. any trail route in reality) is entirely dependant on the accuracy (both the height accuracy and the sampling interval) of the measuring device, so there's a very high level of probability that you'll get a different result every time it is measured by GPS, even with the same device. It's the fractal nature of natural landscapes. Higher sampling frequencies and more fine grained accuracy of the measurement will increase the height/gain loss measured to an almost unlimited degree (you could measure the up and down of each molecule!!).

A more consistant and real-world accurate way to measure height gain/loss would be to simply take the high and low point of each significant valley as indicated on OS maps (in the Irish case) and use the difference, ignoring all the intervening ups and downs.

The climb figure for Everest is an example of that. It's just the difference between the sea level and the peak, without taking any account of all the ups and downs along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

It's the fractal nature of natural landscapes.

Not fractal, really, as there isn't the duplication of shapes at different scales, but I know what you mean.

davedanon wrote: »
    Not fractal, really, as there isn't the duplication of shapes at different scales, but I know what you mean.

Indeed, not a strictly defined fractal with the same patern repeated, but definitely has a fractal nature (and a fractional dimension, which tends to vary depending on the nature of the landscape and the magnification it is being viewed from), which means that measurement of parameters such as height gain over a distance is entirely variable depending on the accuracy of the measuring tool. It's a classic real world case, and results in the extremely realistic results that fractal methods produce for computer-generated artificial landscape imaging.

Scientific background, or just a bit of a dweeb, like me?

davedanon wrote: »
    Scientific background, or just a bit of a dweeb, like me?

Have been a science nerd since a very young age. Did MSc thesis in the area of fractal graphics :)

Have been a science nerd since a very young age. Did MSc thesis in the area of fractal graphics :)

Ah. I just read a book about chaos theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

UTMB registration today :)

Have the points so registered for the main race.

I'm still baffled why the TDS only requires 3 points. It's the lowest in demand by far but still incredibly difficult. Spoke to a number of French runners on the route who believe it's harder than the main race.

I'm still baffled why the TDS only requires 3 points.

Supply and demand. No more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

UTMB registration today :)

Have the points so registered for the main race.

I'm still baffled why the TDS only requires 3 points. It's the lowest in demand by far but still incredibly difficult. Spoke to a number of French runners on the route who believe it's harder than the main race.

Me too. Fingers crossed for the lottery. I didnt get in to WS100 so pinning all my hopes on UTMB!

• Advertisement

I'm in for the CCC.

Will do the TDS or UTMR if the draw doesn't work out.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

In for the CCC myself, fingers crossed.

A fair Irish already registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Eddie g leading the pack at 12hr race in barca,
    .....s mcarty in 3rd place in 24hr

UM1 wrote: »
    Eddie g leading the pack at 12hr race in barca,
    .....s mcarty in 3rd place in 24hr
    Sttill in lead with 90 mins left....

UM1 wrote: »
    Sttill in lead with 90 mins left....

1st with 134km..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

100 seven-minute miles, back to back.

Zach Bitter sets new American record for 100 miles. 11 hours 28.

http://www.irunfar.com/2015/12/this-week-in-running-december-21-2015.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I got this message the other day. A guy called Ian McNairn is doing a PhD study. Anyone connected to ultra running can take part if they want.
    I am unrolling news of my PhD project today. It is an exploration of community in ultrarunning. I am hoping to recruit AS MANY participants as possible. This includes runners, volunteers, directors, coaches, documentarians, fans. Elites and DFL. Veterans to the sport and those training for their first ultra. It is my hope to create the most extensive, comprehensive, and representative study of ultrarunning to-date and so I need your help!
    If you're interested please contact me directly at my (new) project-specific email address: ianmacnairn.ultrastudy@gmail.com. Please feel free to share news of the project with others that may be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Interesting, should have done my thesis on ultra instead of swimming :-)

RIP Maurice Mullins.

• Advertisement

Rip to one of the good guys and a pioneer of ultra running in Ireland

Advertisement