Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Plenty of carbs in beans, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

efe1029123872842afd604a245f471f43a5863018dd0c24db07c2d89262094b3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

davedanon wrote: »

Define plenty dude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Stablemaster

my coach from another forum has me on the banting diet

Define plenty dude.

you don't know what 'plenty' means?

In any case, what does it matter? Maybe he had lots and lots of beans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

60% typically, but then it depends how many you have :)

What I said.

you don't know what 'plenty' means?

In any case, what does it matter? Maybe he had lots and lots of beans.

Ah David you seem a little stressed. Try and include some avocados in your diet, I hear they have a calming effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    60% typically, but then it depends how many you have :)

In fairness, would it not depend on the type of beans & how they were served (any special sauces etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Nice. Not much carbs though. Was that intentional?

the chicken was southern fried in breadcrumbs - there's carbs and fats right there.
    And there were plenty of beans - kidney and navy.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    the chicken was southern fried in breadcrumbs - there's carbs and fats right there.

I like your style

You mean baiting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 runnter

Paddy,

stop giving the secrets away. Next thing you'll be telling them bout Friday gift

Hadn't heard of this one so went to my friend google. Had to laugh at the introduction:

'William Banting was a British undertaker who was very obese and desperately wanted to loose weight.....'

Is this a weight loss diet for you or is it performance linked ?

I like your style

I missed breakfast. Actually since the main topic of discussion at the moment here is diet and fasting and stuff, while walking to the canteen today I mentioned to a colleague that I was starving because I forgot to have breakfast. He was amazed that I was able to cycle the whole 6 miles to work on an empty stomach. I told him I was fat adapted.

PaulieC wrote: »

Hmm, can we expect an extra fast, wind assisted cycle this evening then ?

kit3 wrote: »
    Hmm, can we expect an extra fast, wind assisted cycle this evening then ?

fo' shizzle. All Downhill too...

runnter wrote: »
    Paddy,

stop giving the secrets away. Next thing you'll be telling them bout Friday gift

Them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

In fairness, would it not depend on the type of beans & how they were served (any special sauces etc)

You don't need to over think it, pick dark beans and add a simple dressing and you pack a lot of carbs in. Part of my staple diet for lunch.
    Kidney beans, tuna, red onion, olive oil and some parsley and black pepper with a sprinkle of curry powder is a cracker :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Hadn't heard of this one so went to my friend google. Had to laugh at the introduction:

'William Banting was a British undertaker who was very obese and desperately wanted to loose weight.....'

Is this a weight loss diet for you or is it performance linked ?

Tim Noakes uses the term a lot for his HFLC dietry guidlines. And being Tim Noakes it is very much performance related. Add performance to the google search terms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You don't need to over think it, pick dark beans and add a simple dressing and you pack a lot of carbs in. Part of my staple diet for lunch.
    Kidney beans, tuna, red onion, olive oil and some parsley and black pepper with a sprinkle of curry powder is a cracker :cool:

Some walnuts and avocados are great to add in for good fats even almonds or cashews if you have them. Try IF, Lydiard and almonds for great results.

Them?

P. If I had a secret sauce, I wouldn't want to give out the recipe to the general public ;).

One thing I can say however is that I don't like leaks in my sauce. I hope you are not a leak man :D

Ah David you seem a little stressed. Try and include some avocados in your diet, I hear they have a calming effect.

Trying too hard, Barry.

P. We can discuss it in the private place later. After I deconstruct Andrew's training and map out how to build him into a running machine (just like I did with the youngfella ;))

Of course if you don't see it you'll know why!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 runnter

I'm confused here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Enduro wrote: »
    Tim Noakes uses the term a lot for his HFLC dietry guidlines. And being Tim Noakes it is very much performance related. Add performance to the google search terms!

Is his research recently performance related? I know he is a friend of Phinney and Volek now but I thought that most of his views related to carb resistancy and general health over the past four years? I know he has mentioned weight of runners being a limiter but I haven't come across any of his research looking solely at performance markers (would be interested in reading as I was a big fan of his earlier work prior to his area of focus shifting however I have seen a few back and forths pop up but for the most part have avoided his research as of late so could well have missed any performance related papers)

I know Noakes has come under criticism over the years from a wide range of sources (most notably )

This lead to arguments and counter arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Good top end for Raw100 tomorrow night,few italian heads capable of 13/14 hrs,keith whyte,think last years winner is back again...shud be good

UM1 wrote: »
    Good top end for Raw100 tomorrow night,few italian heads capable of 13/14 hrs,keith whyte,think last years winner is back again...shud be good

And of course at least 5 or 6 Irish international ultra runners racing in Ireland's oldest ultra tomorrow, the newly renamed Maurice Mullins Ultra! Shame they clash.

Preume 100 miles will be a new experience for the Italians. Very few countries bother with non-standard Imperial distance races.

Is his research recently performance related? I know he is a friend of Phinney and Volek now but I thought that most of his views related to carb resistancy and general health over the past four years? I know he has mentioned weight of runners being a limiter but I haven't come across any of his research looking solely at performance markers (would be interested in reading as I was a big fan of his earlier work prior to his area of focus shifting however I have seen a few back and forths pop up but for the most part have avoided his research as of late so could well have missed any performance related papers)

I know Noakes has come under criticism over the years from a wide range of sources (most notably )

This lead to arguments and counter arguments

I'd be pretty sure he is still very much involved in performance related research. He was a keynote speaker at the RCSI's FSEM conference last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Enduro wrote: »
    Preume 100 miles will be a new experience for the Italians. Very few countries bother with non-standard Imperial distance races.

There are quite a few 100 mile races on the continent, sometimes billed as 160km

Advertisement