Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

There are quite a few 100 mile races on the continent, sometimes billed as 160km

Measured precisely to 100 miles with a jones counter, or literally 160km (cause its a big difference, as you know)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Enduro wrote: »
    Measured precisely to 100 miles with a jones counter, or literally 160km (cause its a big difference, as you know)?

The trail races aren't going to be measured by Jones counter I'm sure, as for the road races I guess it entirely depends on the RD of each race.

You're missing the point here. I wasn't going to argue if the 100 mile races in Europe are all correctly measured. I was merely pointing out that the Italians coming over may well have experience in 100 milers already.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They got a cracking day for it anyway (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

They got a cracking day for it anyway (so far)
    What time does it start at?

What time does it start at?

6pm for the 100mile, sometime tomorrow for the 50, I think

• Advertisement

6pm for the 100mile, sometime tomorrow for the 50, I think
    Thanks, local man Liam Vines is doing it, I'll try head up to support! I was up training at the lake last night, the trail is in good condition.

The trail races aren't going to be measured by Jones counter I'm sure, as for the road races I guess it entirely depends on the RD of each race.

You're missing the point here. I wasn't going to argue if the 100 mile races in Europe are all correctly measured. I was merely pointing out that the Italians coming over may well have experience in 100 milers already.

Ah yeah, as I see what you mean.

I was referring to actual measured 100 mile races, where the course is measured so that a 100 mile time could be taken for record purposes etc.

Agreed there are races that are "in or around" 100 miles (like UTMB), but you wouldn't be able to count those for official 100 mile records.

I'd still be interested if you know of many road/track races (very different to off road) that advertise themselves as 100 miles / 160km. Plenty in the imperial countries of USA and UK, and one or two imperial hold-outs here, but my impression is it just isn't on the radar beyond those. I'm open to correction!

Thanks, local man Liam Vines is doing it, I'll try head up to support! I was up training at the lake last night, the trail is in good condition.

Good man Liam! He's down as an entry for the Maurice Mullins Ultra as well. Now that's ambition :)

I'd still be interested if you know of many road/track races (very different to off road) that advertise themselves as 100 miles / 160km.

That Berlin Wall race springs to mind. I've overheard a few German Spartathlon runners talk about it and got the impression they do count it for record purposes. I have no idea if it's certified though, and a quick check of their website didn't reveal the answer either.

http://100meilen.de/en/

A lot of wind to contend with tonight, hope it clears up!

• Advertisement

A lot of wind to contend with tonight, hope it clears up!

Chilly enough too. Though, they didn't sign up thinking it'd be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Chilly enough too. Though, they didn't sign up thinking it'd be easy.
    Fockin freezin..though quite warm beside the fire if u drop out

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Artifunkin just about to take the win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Are there results anywhere for the Vartry race?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Murph_D wrote: »
    Are there results anywhere for the Vartry race?

http://www.rawultra.com/

What a weekend of ultrarunning.

Firstly, a big well done to Artiefufkin. Looks like your 2016 targets are being exceeded at this point! I'm guessing that was your first 100 miler... talk about starting with a bang!

Also great to see some real classy performance in the Maurice Mullins Ultra. A super win from Eoin Lennon, and a slew of new young talent emerging at the top of the field. Great to see. It looks like trail ultras are Ireland's healthiest ultra discipline. It should be an good team heading to the worlds in Portugal later this year.

And even with two big ultra races running at the same time in different parts of Wicklow, the biggest ultra talents in the county at the time were at neither, but were doing recces for the Wicklow round. There's a good possibility of the Wiclow Round record being smashed this year (It's a relatively weak record anyway).

Finally, it looks like we have a new poster here who is apparently going to be the World 24 hour running champion next year. Will he reveal himself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

And even with two big ultra races running at the same time in different parts of Wicklow, the biggest ultra talents in the county at the time were at neither, but were doing recces for the Wicklow round. There's a good possibility of the Wiclow Round record being smashed this year (It's a relatively weak record anyway).

Looks like Scott Jurek and Rickey Gates will be attempting the Round this week. They’ve been recceeing the course all weekend.

https://twitter.com/rickeygates/status/714220467423473665

Although they're down in the Comeragh mountains now.

https://twitter.com/ScottJurek/status/714797119505362945

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDeauGCSlL_/?hl=en
    Great weekend. Did the Maurice Mullins ultra. Tricky conditions around Djouce with a cold wind blowing. Seems to have affected a lot of people, noticed far more people struggling compared to last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Nice scenery in that second pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

They're in Kerry now and have been joined by Dakota Jones.

What a weekend of ultrarunning.

Firstly, a big well done to Artiefufkin. Looks like your 2016 targets are being exceeded at this point! I'm guessing that was your first 100 miler... talk about starting with a bang!

Thanks Enduro! Yes, it was my first but not my last. Believe it not I wasn't targeting even getting top 3. I only wanted to finish. With hindsight I probably went a bit too fast for the first 50 miles. The second 50 were just a case of bringing it on home at a steady pace.

I think I learned more about ultra running in that one race than I have over the last two years (my first ultra was in 2014).

• Advertisement

(my first ultra was in 2014).

I remember :) You went out a bit too fast in that one as well and got caught by some old fogie very late. :)

Congratulations! Massive result!!

Thanks Enduro! Yes, it was my first but not my last. Believe it not I wasn't targeting even getting top 3. I only wanted to finish. With hindsight I probably went a bit too fast for the first 50 miles. The second 50 were just a case of bringing it on home at a steady pace.

I think I learned more about ultra running in that one race than I have over the last two years (my first ultra was in 2014).

Super stuff! That conservative mental approach was certainly the right one for your first go at the distance. Experience is so so valuable in ultrarunning. That's why you should always stick in a race, even when things are going badly, unless you have medical reasons to retire! It's always good to treat the first go at any event as a "rangefinder" to gain the valuable experience that will enable you to have a more aggressive go at the second one.

I hope you've signed up for, or will sign up for, a 24 hour race this year. It looks like 200km would be a very realistic target for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Stablemaster

24 hr world championships Belfast 2017 wud b a gud place to debut

24 hr world championships Belfast 2017 wud b a gud place to debut

No it wouldn't. He has done the training, and has the ability. The 24 hours in Belfast this year would be the perfect place to debut if it fits his schedule.

Plus there's always the chance that he could run well enough to qualify to be in the actual world champs rather than the open race come 2017.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Stablemaster

If u win the open race and beat all people in championship in 2017 are u world champion?

If u win the open race and beat all people in championship in 2017 are u world champion?

No

I'd love to do the Belfast 24 but my brother inconsiderately booked his wedding that weekend :/

I remember :) You went out a bit too fast in that one as well and got caught by some old fogie very late. :)

Congratulations! Massive result!!

Thanks! You're not so old. In fact I think there's only a year or two between us.

I'd love to do the Belfast 24 but my brother inconsiderately booked his wedding that weekend :/

How extremely inconsiderate of him :) I think there is another one in Kerry later in the year. First time running of that event. And of course loads of them abroad as well!

• Advertisement

Just expand on my previous answer a little...

Just like you can only be the olympic 100 meters champions if you win the 100 meters final at the olympics, to be the world 24 hour champion you have to win the world championship race. The open race is a seperate race that happens to run on the same day at the same time (I presume it will anyway). The open race is simply a support race which the organisers put on to allow more people to experience the event. No more than that.

More often than not there is no open race run in parallel with the world champs. And there has never been a case of anyone coming within an ass's roar of a podium worthy finish in the open race, never mind beating the champion's distance.

Now if you're good enough to run 270km+ next year to win the world champs then the good news is that it is going to be trivially easy to get into the world champs. All you have to do is turn up to a properly certified 24 hour race and run 220km, which is the standard required to get onto the Irish team (presuming you're male). Obviously for a 270km+ runner this will be no more than a easy training run for you.

If you turn up to this year's Belfast race and run your qualifier there you also get the advantage of running on the championship course in championship conditions (It's the Irish champs). Again, being a 270km+ runner, it should be trivial enough to break the Irish record while you're there to make sure of qualifying ahead of all the current Irish team.

Advertisement