Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

davedanon wrote: »
    poetic licence, or did you mean 'through'?

Paddy Casey fan, I borrowed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done to all the Boardsies... Particularly delighted for Killerz and Ososlo for great debut performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

The Muppet wrote: »
    Mixed emotions for the last hour mentally I'd imagine, I'm delighted for ososlo hope we get a race report.

Well done to all concerned! That's a fantastic performance by Ososlo. Super stuff! We're all looking forward to that report!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How did Oso do?

Well done folks. Great performance from Enduro was winning by a landslide and great debuts from Killerz and Gary from EOI marathons too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

How did Oso do?

Well done folks. Great performance from Enduro was winning by a landslide and great debuts from Killerz and Gary from EOI marathons too

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lwdq42BTOIGZNLegyWbR8P6d32BUIUzxRWOnddOgeMc/htmlview?pli=1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've been following that but wasn't sure of her name :) - got it now.

Great result for Finn O'Mara there too. Can't remember her username on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I've been following that but wasn't sure of her name :) - got it now.

Great result for Finn O'Mara there too. Can't remember her username on boards!

Is that the final results ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Ososlo broke the 100 mile tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Just back from Belfast. All I can say is it was some roller coaster to watch and I still cant get my head around it. Some great runs and some equally good blow ups.

Final Results. Previous post was with an hour to go and a lot happened in that hour.

ger664 wrote: »
    Just back from Belfast. All I can say is it was some roller coaster to watch and I still cant get my head around it. Some great runs and some equally good blow ups.

Final Results. Previous post was with an hour to go and a lot happened in that hour.

Some serious distances there - congrats to Enduro on the win. Some great debuts there too.

Curious about the results - where two people have the same no of laps & one has some distance added on which means they covered a greater distance, why don't they move up in the overall results. A few instances of that there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done to everyone running today (and yesterday!). I woke up at 3am last night and was thinking of you all running in the dark and realised how mad you all are! I'm still in awe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

kit3 wrote: »
    Some serious distances there - congrats to Enduro on the win. Some great debuts there too.

Curious about the results - where two people have the same no of laps & one has some distance added on which means they covered a greater distance, why don't they move up in the overall results. A few instances of that there.

Agree maybe spreadsheet was sorted wrong before been put up on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ger664 wrote: »

Agree maybe spreadsheet was sorted wrong before been put up on the web.

No, the spreadsheet is sorted right. The "extra" distance is not right in my case and say least one other. That spreadsheet is only the provisional results and was created by someone who just spent a sleepless night

No, the spreadsheet is sorted right. The "extra" distance is not right in my case and say least one other. That spreadsheet is only the provisional results and was created by someone who just spent a sleepless night

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

demfad wrote: »
    Well done to all concerned! That's a fantastic performance by Ososlo. Super stuff! We're all looking forward to that report!

Thanks so much demfad et al!
    My A goal was out the window very early on due to stomach issues (4 hrs in I think), and only minimal heavily diluted carb and electrolyte drinks consumed, and no solids throughout, so gotta be happy with the 100 mile B goal. I have never run more than 53k (5.5 hrs) before so for a first attempt at a crazy distance I am maybe, a tiny bit proud of myself :)

I know I am capable of much better so I will be back with a vengence! This morning I have already been eyeing up a 12 hour track race in Kerry in Sept and can't wait to do 24 hour again:D
    I might do up report if I get the log going again. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great to catch up on all the posts and support here - thanks very much. Wonderful time had in Belfast in the company of great people, on and off the course. My plan worked, better than I thought it might. I'll put a full report up on the log over the coming days to share the experience in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

You'll certainly get one from Enduro anyway - great going by all boardsies.

Gonna have to alright!

How did Oso do?

Thanks for that. Was far from a landslide though. Was a proper race all the way!

Enduro wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Was far from a landslide though. Was a proper race all the way!

Fantastic going. Huge congrats. Was great to watch you in action. Hope you are recovering well!

That was the hardest racing I've done in a while.

Great event, as ever. As a course I thought it was excellent. Much better than I had anticipated. The huge number of people who set PBs seemed to confirm that.

Great running from the boardsies I recognised, as well as the ones I don't recognise in RL but know by username here! Particular Kudos to EdMc who stormed past his old 200km target with interest. Not an easy thing to do. That's a big push on from the first go. Well done to Thomas for pushing out the distance, even though it seemed to me like you weren't having your best day. Delighted that Ososlo had a great debut and more importantly enjoyed the whole experience.

Unbelieveably the overall standard went up again this year, from what was a pretty good base. Superb debut runs from 2 Corkonians (Alex O'Shea and Aidan Hogan). At one point the top 3 were all Corkonian :) Aidan set the best Debut 24hour run by an Irishman ever. In fact Aidan's 238km is the 4th best ever mark by an Irish person. Some going. His run basically forced me to empty the tank and run my own second best distance to hold onto the lead (which I only gained in the last third of the race).

The remarkable Eddie Gallen keeps on going, and set a new PB in his 33rd 24hour race to battle into a very hard fought bronze medal. That's truely inspirational stuff, removing any excuses about getting too old from the rest of us! Great PBs too from Don Hannon and Tim Brownlie.

Having 5 Males getting over 220km (the baseline for consideration to be picked for the Irish team) is unprecedented. I think only 2 Irish runners had exceeded 230km before this race, and this has now been doubled! Also good to see the female winner exceed 200km to exceed the female baseline consideration distance. Having 12 runners exceeding 200km is a very high standard indeed.

And of course a massive number of people got past the 100 mile mark. Clearly lots of hard work being rewarded.

Busy weekend on the ultra front. We also had some Irish participants in the Chamonix 80km race, with some solid runs being laid down, and also a few over at the Lavarado trail in Italy (Which looks absolutely spectacular... definitely has to go on the bucket list). Well done to Barry Murray on running a solid race there. Very high standard at the front of that race too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Enduro wrote: »
    and also a few over at the Lavarado trail in Italy (Which looks absolutely spectacular... definitely has to go on the bucket list). Well done to Barry Murray on running a solid race there. Very high standard at the front of that race too.

He managed to bag himself a top 100 place, Djoucer also ran a great race on his first run of such a distance coming in the top 150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

ultrapercy wrote: »
    The scheduling doesn't matter because there is no cross over athletes and ultra Runners do it out of love for the sport rather than out of need for validation or recognition.

I think there's some crossover among spectators at least! I was up in Belfast supporting and I loved it and was so impressed by the running, and I've supported / watched other ultras too and recognised some runners etc, but I was really sorry to miss the Nationals -- there were loads of races I wanted to see there, and I'd love to have seen Ciara Mageean run again, and I've never seen Siofra Cleirigh-Buttner or David Gillick running live, and I'd love to ... so for me it was a pity they clashed. Roll on the Morton Games! (anyway, back to the ultra talk. Belfast was brilliant!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

PS didn't know all the congrats were going on over here, so had started a new thread (with photos!) - maybe it could be merged into this one?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057615258

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I think there's some crossover among spectators at least! I was up in Belfast supporting and I loved it and was so impressed by the running, and I've supported / watched other ultras too and recognised some runners etc, but I was really sorry to miss the Nationals -- there were loads of races I wanted to see there, and I'd love to have seen Ciara Mageean run again, and I've never seen Siofra Cleirigh-Buttner or David Gillick running live, and I'd love to ... so for me it was a pity they clashed. Roll on the Morton Games! (anyway, back to the ultra talk. Belfast was brilliant!)

Yeh pity indeed. Nationals were very muted the year which isn't what we want in an Olympic year. Euro 2016 had a lot to do with that, but having 2 events at national level shouldn't really happen on the same weekend.

Anyway congrats to all those who competed. Do not know how you guys manage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ososlo wrote: »
    My A goal was out the window very early on due to stomach issues (4 hrs in I think), and only minimal heavily diluted carb and electrolyte drinks consumed, and no solids throughout, so gotta be happy with the 100 mile B goal. I have never run more than 53k (5.5 hrs) before so for a first attempt at a crazy distance I am maybe, a tiny bit proud of myself :)

I know I am capable of much better so I will be back with a vengence! This morning I have already been eyeing up a 12 hour track race in Kerry in Sept and can't wait to do 24 hour again:D

I've been meaning to say: Very well done. Tremendous effort. It must be extremely taxing mentally, never mind physically. I'd say the bookies would have done well out of you. Make sure and rest up now properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sorry I'm a bit late to this party, well done to everyone who ran this race, and won this race!!!! I have absolutely no clue of the physical and mental turmoil you go through but have the utmost admiration for each of you. However, I want to particularly congratulate ososlo on her debut. A you worked hard to achieve your goal and you should be more than a tiny bit proud. Well done, Kudos, hats off, whatever way you want to phrase it I'm delighted you did it and please please give us a race report :)

Brilliant running too by Killerz and his mayflies relay team for a great cause, I'm not a bit surprised to see him smiling in every single photo :) Yiz are just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

:eek:
    I just found out this morning that I have been accepted in to the Spine Race in 2017. Didn't think I would get in and now I am starting to wonder about my sanity.

Enduro- I may need to bend your ear at some time for some advice on equipment. This is very new territory for me.

:eek:
    I just found out this morning that I have been accepted in to the Spine Race in 2017. Didn't think I would get in and now I am starting to wonder about my sanity.

Enduro- I may need to bend your ear at some time for some advice on equipment. This is very new territory for me.

No problem!

It's a big experience. Embrace the challenge :)

Sept 2016 – Kerry 24/12/6 Hour Endurance Track Race

Kerry - Sept 2016
    Saturday 24th / Sunday September 2016

The Kerry 24/12/6 Hour Endurance Race will be one of the ultimate tests of running endurance in Ireland, are you ready to take up the challenge and see how far you can go for 24 Hours?
    (Sep 24th at 12:00 PM to Sep 25th at 12:00 PM)

Registration Fee : €60.00 [ 24 hour – 12 hour – 6 hour Race ]

Register Online Status: Registration is now open.

The Kerry 24/12/6 Hour Endurance Race will take place on Saturday/Sunday 24/25th September 2016. The route will be on the An Riocht Track in Castleisland.
    Link: http://runthekingdom.ie/events-calendar/sept-2016-kerry-24126-hour-endurance-track-race/

Anyone else doing it? 6, 12 or 24 hour option?
    I'm registered for the 12 hour as 24 would be too soon after Belfast. I hit 61 miles at 12 hours in Belfast, so hoping that if the stomach plays ball this time I can run a lot farther than that, and I think the short track laps will suit me better too.

Anyone tempted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Anyone else doing it? 6, 12 or 24 hour option?
    I'm registered for the 12 hour as 24 would be too soon after Belfast. I hit 61 miles at 12 hours in Belfast, so hoping that if the stomach plays ball this time I can run a lot farther than that, and I think the short track laps will suit me better too.

Anyone tempted?

Not tempted myself, but best of luck... You'll nail this one!

Advertisement