Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anyone else doing it? 6, 12 or 24 hour option?
    I'm registered for the 12 hour as 24 would be too soon after Belfast. I hit 61 miles at 12 hours in Belfast, so hoping that if the stomach plays ball this time I can run a lot farther than that, and I think the short track laps will suit me better too.

Anyone tempted?

It clashes for me. Best of luck with it. Nothing beats the knowledge you build through experience.

Hope the race goes well for the organisers too. Amazing to see more than one 24 hour race in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Enduro wrote: »
    It clashes for me. Best of luck with it. Nothing beats the knowledge you build through experience.

Hope the race goes well for the organisers too. Amazing to see more than one 24 hour race in the country.

How do you find a 400m track yourself compared to a surface like Belfast this year for a race of this duration? Interested in your opinion.

btw, I meant to thank you before for your help in the lead up to this race. It was great to get advice from the likes of yourself and Thomas and Ed. Much appreciated!

How do you find a 400m track yourself compared to a surface like Belfast this year for a race of this duration? Interested in your opinion.

btw, I meant to thank you before for your help in the lead up to this race. It was great to get advice from the likes of yourself and Thomas and Ed. Much appreciated!

Glad to help!

Personally I very much like 24 hour races on a track, but not because of the surface. I didn't really notice the change in surface (They're both flat/paved to me, as opposed to hillly/off-road). A lot of other people seemed to notice though.

I like the 400m track for a few reasons. It's good for racing (you can see everyone all the time... great if you like the tactical battles of racing). The shortness of the laps means you're always close to everything, such as aid stations, toilets etc.

The maths are easy (As long as you're in the 99% of the world that works in Kilometers :)), which in turn makes it much easier to accurately track your pacing, and know how you're doing against target paces etc.

There's a purity to it as well. Hrd to define, but very much similar to the way a 5k on roads is different to a track 5000m race.

There are downsides, the main one for me being the congestion in lane 1, especially on the curves.

Glad to help!

Personally I very much like 24 hour races on a track, but not because of the surface. I didn't really notice the change in surface (They're both flat/paved to me, as opposed to hillly/off-road). A lot of other people seemed to notice though.

I like the 400m track for a few reasons. It's good for racing (you can see everyone all the time... great if you like the tactical battles of racing). The shortness of the laps means you're always close to everything, such as aid stations, toilets etc.

The maths are easy (As long as you're in the 99% of the world that works in Kilometers :)), which in turn makes it much easier to accurately track your pacing, and know how you're doing against target paces etc.

There's a purity to it as well. Hrd to define, but very much similar to the way a 5k on roads is different to a track 5000m race.

There are downsides, the main one for me being the congestion in lane 1, especially on the curves.
    Thanks for that insight.

Kilometers? Ya wha? :D

Thanks for that insight.

Kilometers? Ya wha? :D

How's that race report coming on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Exactly wrote: »

+1 .... sure stick up the first part that you've written to whet our appetites :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    +1 .... sure stick up the first part what you've written to whet our appetites :)

More pressure than the race! I'm one race behind at the moment. It's coming though!

Exactly wrote: »
    Neady83 wrote: »
    +1 .... sure stick up the first part that you've written to whet our appetites :)

You might be sorry you asked...:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100280914&postcount=2546

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

More pressure than the race! I'm one race behind at the moment. It's coming though!

Ososlo has hers done, no pressure Enduro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

There is an attempt at a world record happening in Ireland at the moment. Some one is attempting to run 60 40 milers on consequtive days. It's for charity of course I'm not sure if there is an existing record holder as details are very sketchy. Does anybody have any concrete info on it?

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    There is an attempt at a world record happening in Ireland at the moment. Some one is attempting to run 60 40 milers on consequtive days. It's for charity of course I'm not sure if there is an existing record holder as details are very sketchy. Does anybody have any concrete info on it?

It's the usual makey uppey thing. Do something that no-one else has done before so that you can call it a world record. There's no existing record, as its a pretty much random challenge.

All for chariddeeee, naturally! It nearly always is with these things.

In fairness, it looks like he has a lot of talent. Shame he doesn't try racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

It's the usual makey uppey thing. Do something that no-one else has done before so that you can call it a world record. There's no existing record, as its a pretty much random challenge.

Yes indeed if it's legit it looks like the lad would do well in Ultra scene. Trying to raise 300k which is admirable too but it seems like a waste of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Yes indeed if it's legit it looks like the lad would do well in Ultra scene. Trying to raise 300k which is admirable too but it seems like a waste of talent.

If it's the guy I think it is, I passed him in the car near Spiddal a few weeks back. He was running on his own in terrible conditions and he looked very strong and seemed to be running well.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

It's akin to a decent sprinter deciding to run the most amount of 100m runs from blocks in a one month period and claim a WR because of that. What's the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

If it's the guy I think it is, I passed him in the car near Spiddal a few weeks back. He was running on his own in terrible conditions and he looked very strong and seemed to be running well.

TbL

That's him. I passed him that day too (twice) but didn't realise it till I was gone passed as his van announcing who he was etc was up ahead of him. Would have been far better to have it behind both as a protection and to elicit some support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Serious going and respect to him for raising that amount for charity.

Regarding the van, others might know otherwise, but I'd assume it has to be in front of the runner.
    If it is behind the runner then:
    -Any vehicle passing the van would have to pull in sharply after overtaking, blind to the exact location of the runner: and that's assuming the penny has dropped with the driver that there might actually be a runner just in front of the van. Especially dangerous on country roads.
    -Over the course of 60 days the runner is in danger of, at some point, being run over by his own support van!
    -The van being in front can block a headwind which is a significant factor in completing the challenge (assuming its draft legal)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Is anyone signed up for the Wicklow Coastal Ultra 28th August?

Basically it'll be my first 50km and I tried getting some hill training in. I ran from the Clonskeagh direction to Howth and through the village up the Summit and around. That hill really took it out of me. I've driven it so many times but running was a completely different kettle of fish. It literally went on forever, up and up and up... Even when you reach the Summit and start going down, there's more ups! Pretty much running near walking pace towards the end and admittedly, walked the last 3km of a 35.6km run.

My back was feeling it. My legs definitely were too. I'm fine today though thankfully.

Just wondering if there are any tips? Is it simply a matter of running hills over and over? Baring in mind that the Wicklow run will have a 350m climb of Bray to contend with at about the 25km mark too.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

demfad wrote: »
    Serious going and respect to him for raising that amount for charity.

Regarding the van, others might know otherwise, but I'd assume it has to be in front of the runner.
    If it is behind the runner then:
    -Any vehicle passing the van would have to pull in sharply after overtaking, blind to the exact location of the runner: and that's assuming the penny has dropped with the driver that there might actually be a runner just in front of the van. Especially dangerous on country roads.
    -Over the course of 60 days the runner is in danger of, at some point, being run over by his own support van!
    -The van being in front can block a headwind which is a significant factor in completing the challenge (assuming its draft legal)

The van has a big sign on the back announcing what he is doing and, as such, alerting you to the fact that there is a runner on the road. We passed him on a narrow Connemara road in windy, wet conditions where the visibility was very bad. His clothing didn't lend itself to making him visible either. Having seen the situation I am in no doubt that he would have been much safer if the van was behind him. I felt strong enough about this to message his page on fb but got no response.

That made me smile. It's a makey up challenge. Draft legal doesn't come into it. They can do whatever they want. It'll still be a "world record" that nobody else has done before. Granted, if he was actually in the van that would probably generate a bit more debate :) (See the Rob Young thread).

Jay D wrote: »
    Is anyone signed up for the Wicklow Coastal Ultra 28th August?

Basically it'll be my first 50km and I tried getting some hill training in. I ran from the Clonskeagh direction to Howth and through the village up the Summit and around. That hill really took it out of me. I've driven it so many times but running was a completely different kettle of fish. It literally went on forever, up and up and up... Even when you reach the Summit and start going down, there's more ups! Pretty much running near walking pace towards the end and admittedly, walked the last 3km of a 35.6km run.

My back was feeling it. My legs definitely were too. I'm fine today though thankfully.

Just wondering if there are any tips? Is it simply a matter of running hills over and over? Baring in mind that the Wicklow run will have a 350m climb of Bray to contend with at about the 25km mark too.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

If you want to be good at running hills then the best practice is to run hills. By the sound of this you already know this. Hill repeats are definitely good to do as well. But just get out and run on hillier routes. Even once a week would help a lot.

For an ultra its important to remember to keep your effort as constant as possible, irrespective of speed.

If you want to get really good at running hills, and have a lot of fun at the same time, try doing the IMRA races.

350m in 50km is actually a pretty flat course, for reference :)

• Advertisement

kit3 wrote: »
    The van has a big sign on the back announcing what he is doing and, as such, alerting you to the fact that there is a runner on the road. We passed him on a narrow Connemara road in windy, wet conditions where the visibility was very bad. His clothing didn't lend itself to making him visible either. Having seen the situation I am in no doubt that he would have been much safer if the van was behind him. I felt strong enough about this to message his page on fb but got no response.

In fairness, you only saw that his clothing wasn't sufficiently visible. The issues created by that would be the exact same as for any other runner or cyclist on the road with poor visablity clothing. Wearing clothes that make them more visible is a solution; sticking a big Van behind them and forcing other road users into blind overtaking manouvres isn't.

In fairness, you only saw that his clothing wasn't sufficiently visible. The issues created by that would be the exact same as for any other runner or cyclist on the road with poor viz clothing. Getting them to wear high viz gear is a solution; sticking a big Van behind them and forcing other road users into blind overtaking manouvres isn't.

That was my assessment of the situation having seen him twice - once early in the day in Connemara and later in the evening on the outskirts of Galway. Both times I felt that he wasn't safe. Given that the van was travelling with him I think it would have served him better behind him. This is my informed opinion having seen the situation first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Where u drivin or a passenger kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Getting them to wear high viz gear is a solution.

You've probably seen it but there's a massive thread in the Cycling forum on the pros and cons of wearing high viz. Personally I don't think it's the panacea for running during daylight hours, and it's the reflectivity of clothing rather than high vis which is of greater benefit at night.

UM1 wrote: »
    Where u drivin or a passenger kit

Front seat passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

kit3 wrote: »
    Front seat passenger
    Dats grand,cos i hate seein burds doin their make up and droolin over half naked men while drivin..

UM1 wrote: »
    Dats grand,cos i hate seein burds doin their make up and droolin over half naked men while drivin..

Haha, yeah, that's me alright ;)

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You've probably seen it but there's a massive thread in the Cycling forum on the pros and cons of wearing high viz. Personally I don't think it's the panacea for running during daylight hours, and it's the reflectivity of clothing rather than high vis which is of greater benefit at night.

Yes, fair enough. The post I was replying to stated that "His clothing didn't lend itself to making him visible". What I meant was that he should have worn clothing that 'did lend itself to making him more visible'. (whatever they may be, not necessarily high viz).

That made me smile. It's a makey up challenge. Draft legal doesn't come into it. They can do whatever they want. It'll still be a "world record" that nobody else has done before. Granted, if he was actually in the van that would probably generate a bit more debate :) (See the Rob Young thread).

Fair enough. But what about the less makey up challenges. Can you draft behind support vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

If you want to be good at running hills then the best practice is to run hills. By the sound of this you already know this. Hill repeats are definitely good to do as well. But just get out and run on hillier routes. Even once a week would help a lot.

For an ultra its important to remember to keep your effort as constant as possible, irrespective of speed.

If you want to get really good at running hills, and have a lot of fun at the same time, try doing the IMRA races.

350m in 50km is actually a pretty flat course, for reference :)

Thank you very much for your reply and pointers.

Yes I suppose I probably did know. May just suck it up and do it repeatedly so. Will do hills at start of runs I think though until I build up a little more hill-stamina.

Yep I do realise 350 is pretty flat for an ultra. To be honest I had been checking out the Kerry one later in the year and those hills don't look like too much fun right now, to be honest! :) The flatter the better starting off really. Also I think this is an IMRA race, if I'm not mistaken. Very much looking forward to it. If all goes well I'm sure there'll be more. I certainly hope so.

Advertisement