Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

demfad wrote: »
    Fair enough. But what about the less makey up challenges. Can you draft behind support vehicles?

Got any examples of the less makey uppey challenges you're thinking of? Round the world running has a rules body, but support vehicles don't seem to come into it. Beyond that it tends to be an honour system.

Jay D wrote: »
    Yes I suppose I probably did know. May just suck it up and do it repeatedly so. Will do hills at start of runs I think though until I build up a little more hill-stamina.

Don't necessarily feel the need to include hills in every run (but fine if you do). Hill repeats (repeatedly running up the same section of hill muliple times in one session... like interval sessions only less speed for the same work!) are generally condidered a good way of building up hill stamina and speed.
    Jay D wrote: »
    Yep I do realise 350 is pretty flat for an ultra. To be honest I had been checking out the Kerry one later in the year and those hills don't look like too much fun right now, to be honest! :) The flatter the better starting off really. Also I think this is an IMRA race, if I'm not mistaken. Very much looking forward to it. If all goes well I'm sure there'll be more. I certainly hope so.

No , its not an IMRA race at all. All IMRA races are on the events calendar on the IMRA website. If its not on that list, its not an IMRA race. I think its the first ultra for the organisers.

Yes, the Kerry Way Ultra is the longest continuous Ultra in Ireland at the moment. It would be a relatively big undertaking (not that that's a reason not to do it). There are a few relatively flat ultras in Ireland too. And of the Donadea ultras or simillar, for example. Most of the road ultras are pretty flat too.

Best of luck with your race. Hopefuly the first of many!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

How hard is it to get into Sparthathlon if you have the qualifying race time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ososlo wrote: »
    How hard is it to get into Sparthathlon if you have the qualifying race time?

Right now I think the chances in the lottery are a bit better than 50:50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Enduro wrote: »
    Don't necessarily feel the need to include hills in every run (but fine if you do). Hill repeats (repeatedly running up the same section of hill muliple times in one session... like interval sessions only less speed for the same work!) are generally condidered a good way of building up hill stamina and speed.

No , its not an IMRA race at all. All IMRA races are on the events calendar on the IMRA website. If its not on that list, its not an IMRA race. I think its the first ultra for the organisers.

Yes, the Kerry Way Ultra is the longest continuous Ultra in Ireland at the moment. It would be a relatively big undertaking (not that that's a reason not to do it). There are a few relatively flat ultras in Ireland too. And of the Donadea ultras or simillar, for example. Most of the road ultras are pretty flat too.

Best of luck with your race. Hopefuly the first of many!

I didn't mean every run but just incorporate more of them. I honestly rarely had any hill runs this year. Thanks again for the pointers.

Yeah I got mixed up when checking back when I posted that, sorry :P I was looking at the Wicklow Way rather than Coastal. Clearly a newbie. I am going to see how I get on with this one anyway before looking at any others but appreciate for the info.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Did I just hear a regular of this thread sing Parachute on Tom Dunne after he ran the Eiger?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

New course record in badwater..

UM1 wrote: »
    New course record in badwater..

And a new ladies record 25:×× alison venti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Not bad, eh, UM?

• Advertisement

Apparently a new nightime starttime was imposed on the race by the parkies, and it was expected that course records would go as a result (less furnace time).

To me, someone getting caught is good news. I've never doubted that PED abuse happens in ultras. It would be nieve to think otherwise. Not enough testing is a bigger problem.

Enduro wrote: »
    To me, someone getting caught is good news. I've never doubted that PED abuse happens in ultras. It would be nieve to think otherwise. Not enough testing is a bigger problem.

Agreed..but bad news that brass monkeys have infiltrated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I had the pleasure of meeting her in Athens last year - she's class, alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Agreed..but bad news that brass monkeys have infiltrated

Some fairly suspicious results over the years. Course records etc and then never heard of again.

Given the amount of people willing to cheat by not even running the actual distances, it's hard to believe that there isn't a minority of runners doping and winning.

With rise of sponsorship deals etc there is going to more dopers caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Did I just hear a regular of this thread sing Parachute on Tom Dunne after he ran the Eiger?

Yes you did. I am available to play at stags, hens, baby-showers, christenings etc to butcher the living daylights out of once popular songs :P

But just to be clear, I was on guitar - that wasnt me singing!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Can anyone recommend or suggest a 48hr race in Europe next year.

Can anyone recommend or suggest a 48hr race in Europe next year.
    Athensultrafest....myself and the hairy fella were plannin on goin over . did it a few yrs ago,not the most scenic as u run around a carpark but easy to get to and cheap enuf
    www.dayrunners.gr
    Edit its on in february...u can fock off if u think ur deferin the 50k again :)

Edit its on in february...u can fock off if u think ur deferin the 50k again[/quote]

I've basically paid for your flights so, between that and the other one.😊

• Advertisement

Athensultrafest....myself and the hairy fella were plannin on goin over . did it a few yrs ago,not the most scenic as u run around a carpark but easy to get to and cheap enuf
    www.dayrunners.gr
    Edit its on in february...u can fock off if u think ur deferin the 50k again :)

Looked up the race details and flights etc. Definitely interested, especially if there's company for pints after (before,possible during).
    Cheers.

This one is particulaly good.... http://www.therunion.com/runner-aims-for-historic-marathon-challenge/

Getting harder to tell the spoofs from the spoofers.

Actually, came across this (real) article the other day that is genuinely good (as you'd expect given the athlete in question)

ultrapercy wrote: »
    There is an attempt at a world record happening in Ireland at the moment. Some one is attempting to run 60 40 milers on consequtive days. It's for charity of course I'm not sure if there is an existing record holder as details are very sketchy. Does anybody have any concrete info on it?
    Finished it on saturday or sunday,Must have a few medals left over as virtual racing makes an appearance..

https://www.facebook.com/events/490345004496148/?ti=cl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Finished it on saturday or sunday,Must have a few medals left over as virtual racing makes an appearance..

https://www.facebook.com/events/490345004496148/?ti=cl

Unbelievable is a word that will soon go out of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

did he win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anyone who's raced 12/24 hours on a track, would you have trained much on a track or is there any need to do some very long runs on a track?

Ososlo wrote:
    Anyone who's raced 12/24 hours on a track, would you have trained much on a track or is there any need to do some very long runs on a track?

In my expierence zero training on the track was sufficient enough.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »

I've never run a full lap of a track outside of a race!

Advertisement