Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

In my expierence zero training on the track was sufficient enough.
    Enduro wrote: »
    I've never run a full lap of a track outside of a race!

Same here. The cumulative mileage I've trained on a track over the years is exactly 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

^^^ok thanks. Won't bother so. I'll save the excitement of the track for race day!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

UM1 wrote: »

hold on till I verify it-

Nice guy Check
    Charadee Check
    Makey uppie Check

ITS A WORLD RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

jamule wrote: »
    hold on till I verify it-

Nice guy Check
    Charadee Check
    Makey uppie Check

ITS A WORLD RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I've just set a world record for me sitting at my kitchen table surfing the internet and drinking a glass of wine.....oh, there's another one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I'll just leave this here :)

2lmkrar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Our very own Enduro on the first climb at UTMB :) Runner number 193 [URL] http://utmb.livetrail.net/coureur.php [/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Am I reading it right that he's withdrawn?

It looked like his pace dropped right down on the descent & his state reads as 'Withdrawn'.

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Am I reading it right that he's withdrawn?

It looked like his pace dropped right down on the descent & his state reads as 'Withdrawn'.

Mine too, oh no. I hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Yup, withdrawn. Tendonitis after iterra. Was going pretty well apart from that. Frustrating!

• Advertisement

Having had the privilage of being in Chamonix for UTMB week I gotta say that it really is something special. The atmosphere around the place is just fantastic. Someone was saying to me that the town (native population 10,000) is at its peak population during UTMB week of about 130,000. The place is electric. Ultra Trail Runners everywhere. The best in the world mixing in with everyone else.

The exceptionally warm weather (temps up to 35 degrees in the windless valleys at times) took its toll this year with a lot of runners accross all abilities and all the races affected. The drop out rate with the Irish was proportionatly low though, with a lot of good finishes being achieved. Great to see.

One good thing about the good weather is that ariel filming was possible. Some nice videos starting to appear. A good one below... I'm hobbling along about 1:24 at the start of being overtaken by about 500 people on the way down to San Gearvais.

Wow, thanks for the link to the video Enduro. It looks spectacular. I was in Chamonix a few years back and witnessed the start of the race, it was epic. Well done for getting to the start line less than a week after an impressive performance at ITERA. I hope you're healing well.

p.s. Seen as I didn't get to see any of the ITERA course, a race report would really be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

anyone interested in the Kerryway Ultra the live tracking is in link below

http://live.opentracking.co.uk/kerryultra16/

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Is year long ultra training the best way to improve at ultra distances (specifically 24hr in my case)?
    Or would training cycles during half the year spent working on the shorter distances, marathon and below, give a greater benefit?
    Or would a mix of speed work(5k pace-MP) along with Endurance runs throughout the year be a better option?

I'm currently training towards DCM hoping to improve my speed and strength before moving into more specific training for a 24hr in Feb '17.
    Just wondering am I wasting time on the marathon training when I could be using this time to better prepare for the 24hr.

Ask 100 experienced ultra runners, you'll probably get 100 different answers. Even just confining to international level athletes I've heard lots of massive variations. And of course in the end what works for someone else may not necessarily work as well for you.

Two key general things to watch out for though, IMO, in any ultra-focused training programme are (1) not to overtrain and (2) keep the enjoyment.

If pushed for a direct answer I'd say marathon training wouldn't be wasting time at all. Racing shorter distances is good practice for racing longer distances IMHO. Add a second LSR to make a BtoB weekend on a standard training cycle and you're probably going to get a nice mix (and someone like you should be able for that kind of training load I would think).

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

The winner is almost home in the Tor des Geants - http://live.tordesgeants.it

Noticed Dan Doherty withdrew after 10 hours.

Seems the weather has been better this year compared to last year.

More info on race - http://www.tordesgeants.it/en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1154043261

There's a new app for sparthatlon this year, also on Android. Making it very handy to follow the race by the look of it.

There's a good few Irish doing it and a couple of boardies.

Best of luck lads.

If only tang was still about to do a running commentary, (I would but im working all weekend.)

Also available for Andorid I think. Will be a bit too busy to use though!

Enduro wrote:
    Also available for Andorid I think. Will be a bit too busy to use though!

If you could check in here at each cp that would save us the hassel of the app. Thanks.

• Advertisement

http://www.breizhchrono.com/?forceTpl=6

Best of luck to the lads and lady representing ireland in the world 24hr champiobships...Ireland for the men has Eddie gallen,john o regan,eoin keith,aidan hogan, d loughlin and for the ladiez/women/girls/burds/youngwans/cailinìs/quarewans,etc is Amy masner....and best of luck to Thomas B.represesenting Austria ...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Best of luck to the lads and lady representing ireland in the world 24hr champiobships...Ireland for the men has Eddie gallen,john o regan,eoin keith,aidan hogan, d loughlin and for the ladiez/women/girls/burds/youngwans/cailinìs/quarewans,etc is Amy masner....and best of luck to Thomas B.represesenting Austria ...

When does it start?

echancrure wrote: »
    When does it start?
    24hrs before it finishes :)

Either 10 or 12 am..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

TFB is bib number 1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

echancrure wrote: »

Best of luck to the lads and lady representing ireland in the world 24hr champiobships...Ireland for the men has Eddie gallen,john o regan,eoin keith,aidan hogan, d loughlin and for the ladiez/women/girls/burds/youngwans/cailin s/quarewans,etc is Amy masner....and best of luck to Thomas B.represesenting Austria ...

When does it start?

10 am local time / 9 am Irish time

That tracker is fantastic!

Leading the men is Lithuanian Alek Sorokin on 149km

Enduro in 34th place with 118+km
    Aidan Hogan 37th 116
    John O'Regan 52nd 111
    Darragh o'Loughlin 60th 110
    Eddie Gallen 61st 109
    TfB 80th 100km

And for the women, Amy Masner doing fantastically with 32nd place and 109km!

Over half way through:
    Leading man Lithuanian Alek Sorokin on 149km - now on 159km!

Meanwhile, all the Irish (and honorary Irish ;) ) are moving up or maintaining. Great going!!!

Enduro in 34th place with 118+km - now in 30th place!
    Aidan Hogan 37th 116 - 32nd
    John O'Regan 52nd 111 - 52nd
    Darragh o'Loughlin 60th 110 - 60th
    Eddie Gallen 61st 109 - 58th
    TfB 80th 100km - 75th

Amy Masner 32nd place and 109km! now 30th place

Unfortunately I can't see how the Irish team are placed overall (anyone?) but top 3 teams are:

Joint 1st - France and UK on 372+km (top 3 score)

2nd Denmark on 364km

Enduro going great guns and now in 27th and 154km and Amy now 25th woman and 140+km. Fantastic!
    TfB making great gains and now up to 67th and 130km. Go Thomas!!!

Another 9 hours to go:eek:

Some good live videos here https://www.facebook.com/albi24h

• Advertisement

Lots of dramatics overnight!

Aidan now leading Irish man in 25th place and 215km with Eddie Gallen right behind in 26th on 214! Legend!
    Darragh O'L 40th on 203km
    Enduro in 47th and 196km (trouble between hours 19 and 20, hope all ok)
    Tfb in 64th and 181km
    JoR in 74th and 161km
    Amy in 15th and 207km (took some serious scalps overnight!!!Amazing!)

Dan Lawson leading race on 252km
    Leading woman Maria Jansson on 239

Not long to go now... fantastic going everyone!!! DIG DEEP!!!

Advertisement