Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

All over!

Men:
    Eddie Gallen 25th 223.379km
    Aidan Hogan 26th 221.167
    Darragh O'Loughlin 41st 204.577
    Eoin Keith 53rd 196.835
    TfB 64th 186.881 Au
    John O'Regan 75th 161.443

Women:
    Amy Masner 17th 213.425

Congratulations everyone and hope conditions were ok and no injuries sustained!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!! Enjoy the sit down:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Oh! My! God! That was so tough! I have never suffered more for so little return.

I had my worst 24 hrs race by quite some distance but it definitely wasn't for lack of trying. I was knackered after 3 hours already, which was just ridiculous. I have no idea what happened. After that it was a brutal grind for every single step, every single km.

Congratulations to all the Irish runners but especially Amy for that outstanding top-20 performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Oh! My! God! That was so tough! I have never suffered more for so little return.

I had my worst 24 hrs race by quite some distance but it definitely wasn't for lack of trying. I was knackered after 3 hours already, which was just ridiculous. I have no idea what happened. After that it was a brutal grind for every single step, every single km.

:(ah jaysus, so sorry to hear that. Fair play for grinding it out to the bitter end, even though finding things so tough so early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Congratulations to all the Irish runners but especially Amy for that outstanding top-20 performance

Hi TFB. Have you ran 2 24hr races that close together before?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Hi TFB. Have you ran 2 24hr races that close together before?

No. And that may well be the problem!

• Advertisement

No. And that may well be the problem!

Maybe you need to chew on an Iron bar:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Great event out in Albi. Well organised, and the course was pretty good as these things go.

I went out to do a big distance, so pushed the pace out to my limits... was on track for PB pace beyond 16 hours. In retrospect probably a little beyond my limits on the day as I had a crash approaching 200km in. A timeout didn't really fix things to any significant degree so called it a day. As ever, lots learned in failure.

Eddie Gallen had another outstanding run. He is Mr. consistancy of Irish ultrarunning. Banged out another 225k+ run to set his championship PB and be top Irish finisher. Amy Masner also had an excellent run on her championship debut running a steady tactically solid race all the way. Great finishing position, with a lot of notable scalps taken

I can vouch for TFB's hard day at the office... it was a big effort from him to stay the course out there. There were plenty of other top runners struggling.

Great win by Dan Lawson. He is a class act. Good to see one of the GB team get the gold. And amazing performance from Maria Jannson in the Women's racing, destroying the field and setting an new European record. Outstanding running that was a pleasure to witness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How old is steady Eddie Enduro? Phenomenal performance from him - he's like the quiet man - I don't see much of his racing etc on the net and I forget about him then he appears in a line up and goes out and does a great performance. Very impressive.

How old is steady Eddie Enduro? Phenomenal performance from him - he's like the quiet man - I don't see much of his racing etc on the net and I forget about him then he appears in a line up and goes out and does a great performance. Very impressive.

Can't rememberhis exact age, but in the M50 cat, approaching M55 (And set his absolute 24hr PB in belfast this year with 230km). It's actually hilarious how well known he is abroad. All anyone wanted to know from Irish people at Spartathlon was "Where is Eddie" :). We were joking that Eddie must spend the first 10 laps of every championship just shaking hands with everyone greeting him.

Eddie was born in 1962, so probably 54 or 53, depending on his birthday.
    And he's run 33 24hr races. Has anyone run more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

They say u shud never meet ur heroes..but that dosent apply to Eddie.One of the nicest humble guys you could ever meet.When they are writing the book on ultrarunning in Ireland,there will be more than a couple of chapters on him..

I finally forced myself to sit down and type that race report. It's much harder to do after a disappointing race.

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.ie/2016/10/unforgettable-albi.html

It comes with the usual health warning: it is very long!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

great read. fair play for slogging it out, inspirational in itself that you never gave up. your one tough cookie!!!

Posting this here as well as the Spartathlon thread. Finally finished my race report. Bit of a long one!

Howdy ultra folks.
    I'm planning on taking part in the Art O'Neiill in January.
    Entry not guaranteed so I need a back up plan. Any suggestion for a similar length run early to mid January? Can't seem to find any.
    Ta.

Howdy ultra folks.
    I'm planning on taking part in the Art O'Neiill in January.
    Entry not guaranteed so I need a back up plan. Any suggestion for a similar length run early to mid January? Can't seem to find any.
    Ta.
    Eoi have a marathon on last sat in january...though slightly shorter the Aon

UM1 wrote: »
    Eoi have a marathon on last sat in january...though slightly shorter the Aon

Ah yes never thought of checking them out. Could be a plan alright, cheers dude!

EG wins the madrid 50k ...

Alex o shea about 80k in in circa 6hrs in world 100k champs..

Well done enduro..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well done enduro..

wasted characters there, UM
    If you'd just said "well done", or perhaps "wd", Enduro would probably have figured it out anyway :)

Well done enduro..

Will u ever stop winning bleedin races. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Will u ever stop winning bleedin races. :)
    some going..... can even afford to take a wrong turn and come back and win:D:D.. well done enduro!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Comments are interesting, case may not be as stupid as it appears.
    Limited entry race that charges people to enter a lottery for a place. Charge is not refunded if you lose. Fair enough.
    But if they say they have a hundred places in the lottery, and actually twenty of those places are reserved for mates of the directors, they are getting money under false pretences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

New York marathon did similar.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN11F2V1

Paying just to enter a race lottery is pretty ****ty.

More to that Hardrock story than pissed off runner angry at not getting in

Norseman ironman also charge but flash triathletes don't seem to mind. That said, some of fee goes to charity.

https://www.ultrarunning.com/featured/hardrock-100-invites-observers-to-2017-lottery/

Observrrs invited to lottery.....bit ****ty to pay to enter lottery

few irish lads doin the 24hr,irish burd doin the 12hr and Sir Eddie gallen doin the 6hr at Barcelona
    http://championchip.cat/24hores/informes/

• Advertisement

The poor lad was misquoted by his local paper. He's mortified apparently.

I've written my own thoughts on contenders for this year here. It all kicks off on Sunday. Live tracking available as usual, so everyone gets to watch us suffer and mess up!

Advertisement