Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

Tracking link below for The Spine. Enduro in 3rd place at the moment with 65 miles completed.

http://map.opentracking.co.uk/spinerace17/map.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Carol Morgan leading the women's race.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

30min time penalty for the 2 lads in front, I read somewhere they went off course in the middle of the night when Enduro was catching them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jamule wrote: »
    30min time penalty for the 2 lads in front, I read somewhere they went off course in the middle of the night when Enduro was catching them

Yeah, apparently they didn't follow the Pennine Way at one point and used a road instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, apparently they didn't follow the Pennine Way at one point and used a road instead.

Yup, FB says:

The penalty is for shortcutting the course in the night. A detour saved the two runners approximately 20 minutes and we've added a 50 per cent time penalty onto that. Both runners accepted the decision without protest. They will serve their penalty at the next check point. We hope you continue to enjoy following the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

"They have chose to take the penalty at the next CP in Middleton in Teasdale"

How does that work. Do they make them stand around waiting before they enter the checkpoint?
    Otherwise they could use the time to eat, drink, tend to blisters and take 30 mins less rest than they might normally.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

"They have chose to take the penalty at the next CP in Tan Hill"

How does that work. Do they make them stand around waiting before they enter the checkpoint?
    Otherwise they could use the time to eat, drink, tend to blisters and take 30 mins less rest than they might normally.

i've been trying to figure that out too, if they take it when they were planning to rest, it would make no difference, they would just sleep through it, do they send them off walking down the road for 30mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

i've been trying to figure that out too, if they take it when they were planning to rest, it would make no difference, they would just sleep through it, do they send them off walking down the road for 30mins?

Indeed. Also gives them the tactical advantage of deciding themselves when they will let 3rd place man catch up with them (as he inevitable should, given the current 4km gap).

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Indeed. Also gives them the tactical advantage of deciding themselves when they will let 3rd place man catch up with them (as he inevitable should, given the current 4km gap).

From FB: "It will be a standing stop. They will not be allowed to access CP facilities during that time."

If they're prevented accessing facilities, and prevented from receiving outside help during the stop, it's a decent penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

What sort of pace would these guys be going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

HigginsJ wrote: »

It's a multi day race across the pennines so pace is not really relevant. On the flat sections some of them like Enduro will go a nice clip but a lot of it will be scrambling and mountain trekking. It's in no way comparable to a road race in fact it is an entirely different sport.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    It's a multi day race across the pennines so pace is not really relevant. On the flat sections some of them like Enduro will go a nice clip but a lot of it will be scrambling and mountain trekking. It's in no way comparable to a road race in fact it is an entirely different sport.

Was wondering that alright, didn't see how you could be "running" over those hills. It is insane on the face of it, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Neady83 wrote: »
    From FB: "It will be a standing stop. They will not be allowed to access CP facilities during that time."

Now that's a proper penalty, especially if they are made stand for the 30 minutes.

Good to get it out of the way too. Then the race is back into "real" time and they can concentrate on trying to catch him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Did a trail run last year with a few well-known heads around these parts, and one bit involved basically climbing a hill covered first in thick gorse, then rocks leading up to the top. In no way was it 'running'. It was climbing a pretty steep hill. It was part of the RAW course, I was informed after. Like percy said, different sport altogether.

On shorter races you will get guys who will run the full course, including the very steep hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

ThisRegard wrote: »
    On shorter races you will get guys who will run the full course, including the very steep hills.

Unfortunately there are far too many of these types at IMRA races ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

davedanon wrote: »
    Did a trail run last year with a few well-known heads around these parts, and one bit involved basically climbing a hill covered first in thick gorse, then rocks leading up to the top. In no way was it 'running'. It was climbing a pretty steep hill. It was part of the RAW course, I was informed after. Like percy said, different sport altogether.

I know that section! Absolutely brutal part of the course and no way to run it.

I know that section! Absolutely brutal part of the course and no way to run it.

I've been trying to pinpoint the date without success. I remember we descended through a forest, then crossed a river, followed by a marshy flat section, before being directed over this bloody hill. After that myself and meno got a bit lost, before finding the rest of them. Think we finished up near lough Dan. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

davedanon wrote: »
    I've been trying to pinpoint the date without success. I remember we descended through a forest, then crossed a river, followed by a marshy flat section, before being directed over this bloody hill. After that myself and meno got a bit lost, before finding the rest of them. Think we finished up near lough Dan. Is that right?
    climb around the corner from the white house overlookin the beach on lough dan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

heres d one daves talkin about

Yeah, that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Enduro seems to be suffering. Over 4 hours behind the two leaders who are flying, and passed by the third place guy. I saw a few pictures and he didn't look great. Long way to go, hope he can hang in there. The leaders may yet pay for the early pace.

snailsong wrote: »
    Enduro seems to be suffering. Over 4 hours behind the two leaders who are flying, and passed by the third place guy. I saw a few pictures and he didn't look great. Long way to go, hope he can hang in there. The leaders may yet pay for the early pace.

All three in front have not slept, enduro had about 3 hrs. The front 2 have a 30 min penalty also to take at the next cp.

In other news i'm gettin addicted to looking a red dots

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Enduro did about 67 miles per day last year. That includes the times he stopped at the check points, of course.

The runners at the top end would be running a lot, the further back you look towards the back of the pack the more they would be walking.

There is a video in the "Ultrarunning Community" group on facebook of the top 2 runners (Eugeni and Pavel) coming through Hawes. They both are jogging slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

In other news i'm gettin addicted to looking a red dots

Come join us on the AR forum and you might get to become a dot :D

How many days does this thing go on for? It looks like they are only about half way :eek:

Good to see the Irish girl Carol Morgan in a good lead of the women's race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

How many days does this thing go on for? It looks like they are only about half way :eek:

Good to see the Irish girl Carol Morgan in a good lead of the women's race.

Eoin took the record in 95 hours last year. They have a full week to complete it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

UM1 wrote: »
    heres d one daves talkin about
    Oh, that was one of the easier sections! :D

Advertisement