Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

kit3 wrote: »
    a track 24 hours, while meeting the criteria would surely not be an adequate indication for this race given the major climbs etc

It worked for me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

It worked for me ...

It did - but at least you had the Kerry hills to train on :)

It did - but at least you had the Kerry hills to train on :)

I'm sure anyone that qualifies would adapt their training accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Interesting to look at the criteria. Although, as you say, the qualification usually should weed out a good few, a qualification on a flat race, e.g. a track 24 hours, while meeting the criteria would surely not be an adequate indication for this race given the major climbs etc

The climbs can be a cnut alright.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Exactly wrote: »
    I'm sure anyone that qualifies would adapt their training accordingly.

Of course, that goes without saying. Was merely musing on the criteria although I'm sure the Spartalon organisers know how to set the criteria for their very successful race. Best of luck to anyone going for it.

• Advertisement

ultrawoman wrote: »
    Am thinking of Spartathlon for next year or 2019. If one has the qualifier, what are the realistic chances of getting a place?
    Also, if you get accepted say for 2018, can you defer to the following year?
    Thanks. Not finding all the clear answers I need on the website.

I see you are new around here. You should check out the logs - Ultraman had a log when he completed the Spartatlon, although it can be hard to decipher 😏 Thomas completed it too but I don't think he has a log here. You should think about starting one yourself if you are going for it - lots of advice there. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Jesus Christ! The stirring never stops around here. Get over it everyone, it was 3 years ago and I think everyone is sick to the teeth of all the BS. But no, it continually has to be dragged out and add further to the negative energy around here because some people got insulted on the internet. A 3 year internet argument ffs.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Jesus Christ! The stirring never stops around here. Get over it everyone, it was 3 years ago and I think everyone is sick to the teeth of all the BS. But no, it continually has to be dragged out and add further to the negative energy around here because some people got insulted on the internet. A 3 year internet argument ffs.

Maybe you should read the posts again. Questions asked, answers/advice given & a bit of discussion. All benign. Nothing negative save your own rant as far as I can see. Where on earth did that come from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Absolutely 100% spot on.

A genuine question met with a reply quoting posts from years ago - What the fcuk is that about? Its sad really that it was done by one of the respected guys around here too.

And then the reply to your post from Kit trying to play the innocent card by claiming he/she was trying to help really doesn't help things either.

People are not stupid kit so don't treat them that way, it is insulting. At least have the courage to stand over what you say and stop acting like the typical teenage keyboard warrior hiding behind a screen.

wowzer wrote: »
    Absolutely 100% spot on.

A genuine question met with a reply quoting posts from years ago - What the fcuk is that about? Its sad really that it was done by one of the respected guys around here too.

And then the reply to your post from Kit trying to play the innocent card by claiming he/she was trying to help really doesn't help things either.

People are not stupid kit so don't treat them that way, it is insulting. At least have the courage to stand over what you say and stop acting like the typical teenage keyboard warrior hiding behind a screen.

Ah now the penny is dropping - hadn't copped that Ultrawoman is a re-Reg. Makes sense now giving the onslaught of the usual suspects. I'm out of this then - was trying to help a newbie but obviously not needed. You are aware that I had bowed out of commenting on anything to do with the person concerned. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Ah now the penny is dropping - hadn't copped that Ultrawoman is a re-Reg. Makes sense now giving the onslaught of the usual suspects. I'm out of this then - was trying to help a newbie but obviously not needed. You are aware that I had bowed out of commenting on anything to do with the person concerned. Good luck.

Delusional.. people can see through you. I'm glad El C called you out on it. Shows you for what you are. Hope you got whatever kick it is you were looking for by posting your sly digs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

wowzer wrote: »
    Absolutely 100% spot on.

Ah FFS

My reference of old posts were a joke on Ultramans comments about impressing Mrs UM with the Spartathlon t shirt. Dunno how that was construed at a pop at anyone as it was referencing UM talking about himself.

If the serial offended want to take it as something else fair enough.

Anyway moving on good luck to anyone here or elsewhere who toes the line for this race in the coming years looking at the Strava profile looks like a tough one

Up at the Causeway Coast events this morning. Good atmosphere, lots of singing and dancing! Did the marathon myself. Up and down up and down up and down.
    Good crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Ah FFS

My reference of old posts were a joke on Ultramans comments about impressing Mrs UM with the Spartathlon t shirt. Dunno how that was construed at a pop at anyone as it was referencing UM talking about himself.

If the serial offended want to take it as something else fair enough.

Not sure if this was also directed at me but I'll answer back anyway. Am I offended by any comments on this thread? No but am I tired of all that's gone on over the last few years? yes, about 3 years too tired and it honestly has to end now. I purposely didn't quote or mention any specific posters or posts in my post as that isn't really the problem here. It's the cliquey nonsense that simmers up all the time in these threads and the digs are blindingly obvious most of the time and both "sides" are guilty of it even if there are a few otherwise fantastic posters in each little clique.

What I don't think many people involved realise is that the people involved make up a tiny minority on this forum. 99.9% of the people who read and post on this forum do not care about the petty nonsense that happened yet have to read through it or just not bothering to post or read anymore because of it. The real problem on this forum is not whether you are pro-stazza or against stazza, it's that the petty minority are ruling this place with nonsense which is infecting the forum for the majority, the people who are not involved nor care to be. Whatever about the posters this place lost who were directly involved, It's much more of a shame that this place has lost a lot of great posters who were never involved because of all this nonsense.

It doesn't look like the people who have the power to make changes around here are going to do anything about it as it's gone on for so long that maybe it's time that the overwhelming majority put their foot down and started calling out the bs and take the forum back.

Maybe, I'm taking this place a bit too seriously but I really like most of this forum but I'm sick to death of the place being destroyed by petty arguing and snide remarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Not sure if this was also directed at me but I'll answer back anyway. Am I offended by any comments on this thread? No but am I tired of all that's gone on over the last few years? yes, about 3 years too tired and it honestly has to end now. I purposely didn't quote or mention any specific posters or posts in my post as that isn't really the problem here. It's the cliquey nonsense that simmers up all the time in these threads and the digs are blindingly obvious most of the time and both "sides" are guilty of it even if there are a few otherwise fantastic posters in each little clique.

What I don't think many people involved realise is that the people involved make up a tiny minority on this forum. 99.9% of the people who read and post on this forum do not care about the petty nonsense that happened yet have to read through it or just not bothering to post or read anymore because of it. The real problem on this forum is not whether you are pro-stazza or against stazza, it's that the petty minority are ruling this place with nonsense which is infecting the forum for the majority, the people who are not involved nor care to be. Whatever about the posters this place lost who were directly involved, It's much more of a shame that this place has lost a lot of great posters who were never involved because of all this nonsense.

It doesn't look like the people who have the power to make changes around here are going to do anything about it as it's gone on for so long that maybe it's time that the overwhelming majority put their foot down and started calling out the bs and take the forum back.

Maybe, I'm taking this place a bit too seriously but I really like most of this forum but I'm sick to death of the place being destroyed by petty arguing and snide remarks.

Won't derail this thread further so will take to PM but to answer your question it was referencing the quoted post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I agree with the snide & petty remarks, unneeded as we're all adults here I think!! I don't like what Stazza done and feel its ramifications will never be healed but I respect posters on both side of the fence of this debacle. As regards cliques, unfortunately in every walk of life you will have them even here, not sure if you associate me with one side or the other but no more than you I want to come on here and post and get on with everyone.

I can be blamed somewhat for bringing a 'banter' attitude to the forum but that's just me I like to encourage and slag where it's warranted, I'm not as learned as yourself on the running terminology and technical aspect of running but I feel we both add a lot to the forum with our input. The forum has certainly diminished poster wise and that's a big shame, but there's new posters taking old ones places who will be the meno's, Krusty's et all of tomorrow. It's still a good place to visit regardless of the at times silly squabbles.

Edit: Only input I'll ever give in the Ultra running thread!!!

I just inherited a **** load of dosh and now I'm very drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I had no idea ultrawoman was a rereg either. Maybe you copped immediately, doesn't mean everyone else did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

Listowel endurance festival was a great event,a brilliant addition to the ultra scene in ireland.Tuff enuf course and super run by lorraine from wexford in the 12hr
    https://www.myrunresults.com/events/listowel_endurance_festival/2264/results

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

.spartathlon.gr

Rolando,Padraig and Jan uzic all through marathon point all under 3hrs 53

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Spartathlon on at the moment. Don't seem to be many Irish this year. However, a lad who posted here once or twice (literally) as Carta, is running it. Currently 27th!! He's down as USA, fair enough, he's been there for a good few years now but Nationality is registered as Irish. His Nan lived round the corner from me as a kid and I knew his Ma and family. Funny old world. I've never actually met the guy in real life.

Carta doesn't take the running thing as seriously as some but he's up for anything. Has completed both Western States and Badwater 135.

http://www.spartathlon.gr/en/live-data-en.html

Ultraman beat me by a few seconds!!

Itziger wrote: »

Ultraman beat me by a few seconds!!

no one ever would ever admit to that..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

.spartathlon.gr

Rolando,Padraig and Jan uzic all through marathon point all under 3hrs 53

That's a bit fast (maybe not for Jan). I hope the guys know what they're doing.

That's a bit fast (maybe not for Jan). I hope the guys know what they're doing.

jan and padraig about 20secs between them at 65km in 5:45.....chattin to rolandos crew its perfect running conditions with wind at their back

jan and padraig about 20secs between them at 65km in 5:45.....chattin to rolandos crew its perfect running conditions with wind at their back
    jan into cp 22 50mile in 7+hrs...padraig in 18 mins later...and rolando in in 8hrs
    20 dropped out up to cp 18

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

Thought this might be of interest
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2017/sep/27/why-do-we-run-until-it-hurts-researchers-might-have-the-answer

I'm surprised the term "masochism" didn't pop up, as it is essentially what the article is discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I wrote a race report of my second experience at the UTMB if anyone is interested ! - https://grahamcolmer.blogspot.com/2017/09/utmb-2017-race-report_26.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

jan into cp 22 50mile in 7+hrs...padraig in 18 mins later...and rolando in in 8hrs
    20 dropped out up to cp 18

Fascinating to see how positions change over time in these races. I see the top two or three women are slowly climbing the leaderboard. That Jan lad is going very well and Padraig is holding up well too. I guess the real fun starts when the sun sets!!!

jan through half way

• Advertisement

padraig through 40mins after jan and rolando just through in 14hrs jumpin up 25 places,,,,at last checkpiont 28 still only 20 gone,,

Advertisement