Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

all through mountain base

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Paddy through cp 60 in 52nd. Jan must have had a problem as he's dropped behind P. Rolando holding on to 90th spot. Best if luck to all for the final stretch. Winner lead from gun to tape. Leading woman 6th overall. She made up a place or two at almost every timed Check point. Some running.

Padraig up to 45th. Seems to be running a really solid race for a first timer there. Just a few miles to go now.

Carta/Padraig home in 29:51:54 Not bad for a first timer I reckon!!!

43rd position too.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Itziger wrote: »
    Carta/Padraig home in 29:51:54 Not bad for a first timer I reckon!!!

43rd position too.

brilliant....jan and rolando just through last big cp..bout 12/13 miles left..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Ultrababy

Camille Herron has beaten the womens world 100mile record by 1hr in 12 hrs 42min.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ultrababy wrote: »
    Camille Herron has beaten the womens world 100mile record by 1hr in 12 hrs 42min.

That's faster than 3:20 marathon pace! For 100 miles!! For over 12 hours!!! :eek::eek::eek:

The mind is well and truly boggled!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Jaysus!!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

That's faster than 3:20 marathon pace! For 100 miles!! For over 12 hours!!! :eek::eek::eek:

The mind is well and truly boggled!

That's it though isn't it. The boggled mind wouldn't achieve it. You need some good training of course but you also need some serious mental strength and belief. A method of dealing with the pain.

Camille Herron:" I didn’t feel like I needed it. I do hot races where I crave beer, but I was kind of cold. I feel like I could have gotten through the race without drinking a beer, but it was nice to stop and guzzle a beer really fast and keep going. It was probably about 80 miles into the race where I had my first beer. I lost some time in the end with stopping and having a beer in the dark, but I had enough time to play with, I knew I was going to be okay. The beer was a nice treat."

From the irun far interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Camille Herron:" I didn’t feel like I needed it. I do hot races where I crave beer, but I was kind of cold. I feel like I could have gotten through the race without drinking a beer, but it was nice to stop and guzzle a beer really fast and keep going. It was probably about 80 miles into the race where I had my first beer. I lost some time in the end with stopping and having a beer in the dark, but I had enough time to play with, I knew I was going to be okay. The beer was a nice treat."

From the irun far interview.

Jesus that one needs to go back to school. She keeps spelling water wrong(beer):D

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

She's clearly an excellent runner but how she handles a 24hr race will be very interesting.
    She'll need to rethink the nutritional side I'd imagine or will she take 48 gels?
    Looks like it won't be next year anyway. An unhampered training year and she'll just blow everyone else away. Exciting times in women's ultra at the moment.

I'm not very good at my sums.
    If she ran at 75% heart rate for the 100mile equating to a 7:38per mile average pace would 70% heart rate for the 24hr event be a fair estimate of her ability?
    And if so what pace would that be?
    There are many other factors in the equation of course but just as an idea of her ability.

She's clearly an excellent runner but how she handles a 24hr race will be very interesting.
    She'll need to rethink the nutritional side I'd imagine or will she take 48 gels?
    Looks like it won't be next year anyway. An unhampered training year and she'll just blow everyone else away. Exciting times in women's ultra at the moment.
    I'm not very good at my sums.
    If she ran at 75% heart rate for the 100mile equating to a 7:38per mile average pace would 70% heart rate for the 24hr event be a fair estimate of her ability?
    And if so what pace would that be?
    There are many other factors in the equation of course but just as an idea of her ability.

I can't imagine anyone taking 48 gels! :eek: She will have to look into alternatives or else she might be in for a nasty surprise in the second half of a 24.

I don't think you can equate heart rates or paces with a formula. The biggest difference between a 100 mile race and a 24 is in the head, and no HRM will help you with that.

Being a great 100 mile runner does not guarantee 24 hour success. Have a look at Zach Bitter. He ran a couple of 24 hour races trying to qualify for the US team. He broke the American 100 mile record (twice) and the 200k along the way but could not finish any of his 24 races and never made the team. Having said that, I'm very much looking forward to see what Camille Herron can do. Exciting times ahead!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭The Bin Man

I can't imagine anyone taking 48 gels! :eek: She will have to look into alternatives or else she might be in for a nasty surprise in the second half of a 24.

I don't think you can equate heart rates or paces with a formula. The biggest difference between a 100 mile race and a 24 is in the head, and no HRM will help you with that.

Being a great 100 mile runner does not guarantee 24 hour success. Have a look at Zach Bitter. He ran a couple of 24 hour races trying to qualify for the US team. He broke the American 100 mile record (twice) and the 200k along the way but could not finish any of his 24 races and never made the team. Having said that, I'm very much looking forward to see what Camille Herron can do. Exciting times ahead!

Not disputing this, but could you pop up a link to where he tried to qualify for the US 24hr team and failed etc. I am surprised, as I think Bitter is the one person* who could give Kouros' World Record a lash.

*Ultra runner-I'm not including sub 2.20 marathon runners, many of whom I think could take down the record.

Maybe so but Camille will probably still approach it in that way which will make it even more interesting.

Do the principles of running that we use through the distances really change so much after the 100mile distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Not disputing this, but could you pop up a link to where he tried to qualify for the US 24hr team and failed etc. I am surprised, as I think Bitter is the one person* who could give Kouros' World Record a lash.

*Ultra runner-I'm not including sub 2.20 marathon runners, many of whom I think could take down the record.
    I dont think sub 2.20 marathons have any bearing on 24 hour races. 24 hour is pure endurance and not much to do with actual running ability apart from general fitness. I think if really good marathoners attacked the 100k record they would dismantle it possibly sub 6 but 24hour is another ball game entirely. It may even be a disadvantage to be a very fast runner in a 24 hour event as its harder adjust the mindset to the slower pace. Real ultra running( 100 mile plus)is almost a diffrent sport to elite marathon running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Camille H had a lot of stress fractures when she was running in college - the first time I heard of her was Googling a couple of years ago and finding her articles about her injuries and how she overcome them. She talks a bit about sports science and how she uses it in training in this podcast (was listening to it doing my strength training the other night :pac:):
    https://www.intelligentracer.com/episode-51-running-rd-camille-herron/

http://www.irunfar.com/2014/03/zach-bitter-new-200k-american-record-holder-interview.html

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I dont think sub 2.20 marathons have any bearing on 24 hour races. 24 hour is pure endurance and not much to do with actual running ability apart from general fitness. I think if really good marathoners attacked the 100k record they would dismantle it possibly sub 6 but 24hour is another ball game entirely. It may even be a disadvantage to be a very fast runner in a 24 hour event as its harder adjust the mindset to the slower pace. Real ultra running( 100 mile plus)is almost a diffrent sport to elite marathon running.

The 100k world record holder, Takahiro Sunada, has a 2:10:07 marathon PB, which makes him a pretty good marathon runner in my view. I do wonder what a sub-2:05 marathon runner could do but you can never tell in advance. All good 100k runners have to be pretty good marathon runners but not all good marathon runners make a good 100k runner. History is full of 100k attempts by cocky marathon runners who ended up in pain, tears and even hospital.

And yes, 24 hours is a different event altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The 100k world record holder, Takahiro Sunada, has a 2:10:07 marathon PB, which makes him a pretty good marathon runner in my view. I do wonder what a sub-2:05 marathon runner could do but you can never tell in advance. All good 100k runners have to be pretty good marathon runners but not all good marathon runners make a good 100k runner. History is full of 100k attempts by cocky marathon runners who ended up in pain, tears and even hospital.

And yes, 24 hours is a different event altogether.

True but when a good marathon runner (eg Steve Way) approach 100k in the right manner the results is a good 100k. A 100k is not that different in terms of training and physiology to a marathon but 24 hour is, as you say, very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

From the Twitter machine. Paddy O’Leary (TheNorthFace), who hails from Co. Wexford, is fifth at the #TNF50 in 6:36:10. Finished ahead of Max King who was a previous winner of various events including world mountain running. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think Adharanand Finn's next running book will be about ultras...
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/28/five-lessons-from-a-year-of-ultrarunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

RayCun wrote: »
    I think Adharanand Finn's next running book will be about ultras...
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/28/five-lessons-from-a-year-of-ultrarunning

If he writes a book it'll be fairly dull. I must've read a variation on this article a hundred times this year. "Our intrepid journalist does an ultra unprepared and hilarity ensues."

There's a whole genre out there that hypes up how tough ultras are, the hardships, the "I battled on despite my left leg falling off."

The truth is is, they are no harder than a marathon, most people enjoy them without having to write a race report like they are storming Normandy beach.

Have you read any of his work Djoucer? I'll have a look at the article later but doesn't it say he did quite a few in the year, going from unprepared to probably half decent efforts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I haven't to be fair.

He's working on new book according to his Twitter profile:

"The Rise of the Ultra Runners will be published by Guardian Faber in 2019."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

He has a book on running in Japan, and one on running in Kenya. Not great but good enough. A lot of the Kenya stuff is on the guardian site.

Some great running from Court Dauwalter at the Soochow 24hour race in Taiwan at the weekend. She set a new American record, 256km, and only 3km off the world record set by Patrycja Bereznowska in Belfast.

Meanwhile Camille Herron is taking on the Desert Solstice 24 hour track meet next weekend. Only a month after her 100 mile record breaking run at Tunnel Hill. She is going to attempt to break 6 American and World records between 50 mile to 24hour.
    50 mile American track record -3:20:23
    100km American track record -7:50:08
    12 hour World record-147.6km
    100 mile World record-12:42:40
    200km American record -18:40:33
    24 hour World record -259km

Camille plans to aim for exactly the same effort, 75% of max HR, as she did to smash the 100 mile record recently.

• Advertisement

Some great running from Court Dauwalter at the Soochow 24hour race in Taiwan at the weekend. She set a new American record, 256km, and only 3km off the world record set by Patrycja Bereznowska in Belfast.

Meanwhile Camille Herron is taking on the Desert Solstice 24 hour track meet next weekend. Only a month after her 100 mile record breaking run at Tunnel Hill. She is going to attempt to break 6 American and World records between 50 mile to 24hour.
    50 mile American track record -3:20:23
    100km American track record -7:50:08
    12 hour World record-147.6km
    100 mile World record-12:42:40
    200km American record -18:40:33
    24 hour World record -259km

Camille plans to aim for exactly the same effort, 75% of max HR, as she did to smash the 100 mile record recently.
    The 50 mile record is 3.20??!! I don't think so.

Advertisement