Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The biggest lies you've told your parents (as an adult) ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

"Yes of course you can have a kidney"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I can't think of anything I've lied to them about. Hmm. I wonder if this is because I'm a goody-two-shoes or if they are just open....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's a Moroccan tomato plant.

Later that year: It mustn't be sunny enough here for it to fruit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

"Nah... It just sounds bad but it was actually quite safe. Not lethal, no God no..."

EDIT: But in fairness they paid me back in full. "Your uncle is... quite sick." "Your granny is quite sick."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

"I have to go, there's someone at the door" just to end a phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

"No I wasn't really drinking much" must be a pretty common one I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

That weird smell on my shirt is from everyone else in the room smoking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

I am a mother many times over

separate rooms, of course
    the smell of smoke is other people's
    of course I wasn't drinking
    yeah I study 2 hours a day
    I never text and drive

Let me assure you all......yer mammy knows well enough it's lies. Her and the neighbour laugh about it next day.
    "The poor eejit thinks I don't know he smokes/drinks/lives with the girlfriend .......etc"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

That my girlfriend wasn't married.

• Advertisement

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    That my girlfriend wasn't married.

Is this a big no no with mammies and daddies? That your girlfriend has never been someone else's wife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

My wife turned vegetarian when she was 15 and told her parents, they were convinced she would never last.

They were right. But 15 years later they still think she's a vegetarian. Madness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭To Need a Woman

That I'm straight

there extremely religious and homophobic so I'm not telling them noting
    "they're"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I usually add 100 to whatever my ESB bill is to get her off my back about money that is otherwise spent on aforementioned Moroccan tomato plants. Gotta love them tomatoes. :D

She has this shriek that she does when she suspects I'm lying though, it's kinda like (screech in caps lock):

"And HOW in the name of GOD are you broke again? Sure it's only the 15th of the month. I still have a bit of my pension from April!"

"And WHY haven't you bothered ringing your sister and you KNOW she's not well with that vomiting bug," (sister was in detox from a 5 day bender instead of doing her exams, think Mammy knew I knew the truth)

"Do you MIND telling me WHY there are lighters in your coat pocket seeing as you don't smoke?"

... and that's just since I moved out. She used to be 10 times worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

"I'll get the 20 quid back to you next week."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,126 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

No Mam, I know it looks funny but it really is a "bicycle" pump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

I'm fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I never speed. I'm a safe driver.

^^ Texted from his phone whilst doing 120 MPH on the Motorway. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

'I'm off to Mass'

*gets in car, drives in general direction, somehow never gets to the church*

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shmalentine

'Yeah the exam went grand'

Day of results:

'I don't know what happened, they must have marked it really hard....yeah I heard loads of people failed...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I didn't break my ankle falling down the steps in Coppers, my friends only said that as a joke!

I told them I fell off the step beside the luas at Stephens green :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Most of the lies I tell are because I just couldn't be arsed listening to them, dropped out of a course I was doing, never told anyone in my family, they all thought I was still doing it, still do and will probably never find out.

I broke my hand when I was drunk and punched a wall, I can't remember what I said but it wasn't the truth.

One day however my father pissed me off, so to get back at him I walked right up to him and told him I was smoking, he lost the plot, I got the reaction I wanted, good times. (I have since given up smoking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Is this a big no no with mammies and daddies? That your girlfriend has never been someone else's wife?

No but with my folks it was a big no no that she made me Polish stew instead of Irish stew.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    No but with my folks it was a big no no that she made me Polish stew instead of Irish stew.

The hussy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

My boyfriend never told his parents that we lived together for 2 years in college. I think they'd actually go insane. They're such lunatic catholic fundamentalists that they'd probably try to drown us in holy water! We live together now and his mother refuses to visit because we're not married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I told me Ma I was Grand Once !

21/25

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Back when he was my boyfriend, my husband would stay over in my house when my parents were away (as you do when you're still living at home and want to get the ride in an actual bed) but he'd always tell his mum that my parents would be in the house and that we stayed in separate rooms. Granted the couple of times he stayed over when they WERE there, he slept in the guest room, but he lived about a 10 minute walk from my house, so I don't know why his mum never questioned what would necessitate staying over in my house which was almost next door!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Toots* wrote: »
    Back when he was my boyfriend, my husband would stay over in my house when my parents were away (as you do when you're still living at home and want to get the ride in an actual bed) but he'd always tell his mum that my parents would be in the house and that we stayed in separate rooms. Granted the couple of times he stayed over when they WERE there, he slept in the guest room, but he lived about a 10 minute walk from my house, so I don't know why his mum never questioned what would necessitate staying over in my house which was almost next door!

See this is exactly what I mean. His mother never questioned it because she knew right well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Toots* wrote: »

.........because she knew exactly what was going on :D

Advertisement