Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money would a teenager need to bring to boston and New York?

Options
  • 06-06-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I'm going shopping in Boston and NY and was wondering what amount of money would do me for the 2 weeks I'm there (just shopping money) ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

How long is a piece of string??

Last time i was in nyc i had 100 dollars a day for each day i was there excl shopping money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

What do you want to buy?
    Does shopping money include meals?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Postoffice123

No, no meals. Just clothes, shoes, jewellery, makeup .. Usual stuff for a teenager :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

No, no meals. Just clothes, shoes, jewellery, makeup .. Usual stuff for a teenager :p

So I guess the question is, how much clothes, shoes, jewellery and makeup do you want to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

$2K if you wanna splurge
    $1K if you are being careful

• Advertisement

dave2pvd wrote: »
    So I guess the question is, how much clothes, shoes, jewellery and makeup do you want to buy?

Well I'm going with a large empty suitcase so how ever much I can fit! Just want a rough amount really on how much I'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

It depends - are you planning to buy one pair of shoes, or ten pairs? Designer stuff? High-end make up or Wet n Wild? Precious metals or costume jewelry? Are you planning to visit outlet centres (in which case access as many coupons as you can) or shop in city centres?

Make a list of what you would like, have a look at the likes of Macys, Bloomingdales, Saks and Sephora websites to get an idea of prices and promotions. Kmart is great for cheaper cosmetics at even cheaper prices. Bear in mind that certain brands such as Urban Decay are usually cheaper here. Bring your passport on day 1 at Macys to get a discount voucher, but remember there are many exclusions.

dee_mc wrote: »
    It depends - are you planning to buy one pair of shoes, or ten pairs? Designer stuff? High-end make up or Wet n Wild? Precious metals or costume jewelry? Are you planning to visit outlet centres (in which case access as many coupons as you can) or shop in city centres?

Make a list of what you would like, have a look at the likes of Macys, Bloomingdales, Saks and Sephora websites to get an idea of prices and promotions. Kmart is great for cheaper cosmetics at even cheaper prices. Bear in mind that certain brands such as Urban Decay are usually cheaper here. Bring your passport on day 1 at Macys to get a discount voucher, but remember there are many exclusions.

Thanks a lot! Not going mad buying designer stuff, maybe a Michael kors bag that's it.. Just gonna buy a few pairs of converse, mac & benefit makeup, few pairs of jeans and tops (don't have to be designer) and some reasonably priced jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I'm going shopping in Boston and NY and was wondering what amount of money would do me for the 2 weeks I'm there (just shopping money) ??

This has to be the most meaningless thread I have ever seen here

Thanks a lot! Not going mad buying designer stuff, maybe a Michael kors bag that's it.. Just gonna buy a few pairs of converse, mac & benefit makeup, few pairs of jeans and tops (don't have to be designer) and some reasonably priced jewellery.

Don't buy Cons without checking Century 21 first, i got a pair for $20 a couple of years ago.
    Your MAC stuff may be cheaper in the Duty Free on the way out - have a look at the airport site and Macys site to check this.
    There's a Michael Kors shop at Woodbury Commons but you'll find good value in TJ Maxx, Lord and Taylor, Marshalls, Century 21 or any of the other big name stores too - they're always on promotion somewhere, so keep an eye out and don't buy anything in the first store, do your research :D
    Enjoy, I'd love to be going!

• Advertisement

falabo wrote: »
    This has to be the most meaningless thread I have ever seen here

Good to know maybe you should keep your comments to yourself, thanks..

dee_mc wrote: »
    Don't buy Cons without checking Century 21 first, i got a pair for $20 a couple of years ago.
    Your MAC stuff may be cheaper in the Duty Free on the way out - have a look at the airport site and Macys site to check this.
    There's a Michael Kors shop at Woodbury Commons but you'll find good value in TJ Maxx, Lord and Taylor, Marshalls, Century 21 or any of the other big name stores too - they're always on promotion somewhere, so keep an eye out and don't buy anything in the first store, do your research :D
    Enjoy, I'd love to be going!

Aw thanks a million that helped a lot! Always good to do the research before hand .. I hope it will be worth it, never been before :D

Aw thanks a million that helped a lot! Always good to do the research before hand .. I hope it will be worth it, never been before :D

It's great fun :) I hate shopping, but 'merica shopping is different :)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Join the vip members of woodbury commons for a coupon book. Go straight to the visitors centre there to collect it. Just show them a screenshot of your membership. Good deals like 20% off etc

Join the vip members of woodbury commons for a coupon book. Go straight to the visitors centre there to collect it. Just show them a screenshot of your membership. Good deals like 20% off etc

athlonelad wrote: »

I will try that :) can you join it on their website?

I will try that :) can you join it on their website?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Bring $500 and take yourself out to the outlets.

You'll fill the suitcase in no time with Levi's, Northface jackets and RLph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger appar

whitey1 wrote: »
    Bring $500 and take yourself out to the outlets.

You'll fill the suitcase in no time with Levi's, Northface jackets and RLph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger appar

Thanks very much :)

Advertisement