Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running a tail

• 06-06-2014 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

i have radio broadband, my supplier says that someone is running a tail on my connecction, i can not get any more info from my supplieer, thans for your repliess.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Who is your broadband provider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

Khannie wrote: »
    Who is your broadband provider?

celtic broadband.

Can you log into your router? (details to do this should be on the back of it somewhere). That should tell you if someone else is using your internet connection.

It's unlikely that they are once you have some kind of wifi password in place.

i can log into the router, i cannot see anything, but the guy running the service is adamant that there is something attached, i do have a sam knows router, perhaps he is mixing that up with something else, i spoke with his again recently, he remains adamant.

How is he determining this?

• Advertisement

he says the he sees this when he logs on to both my radio and the radio i recieve the signal from, more than one person has told me this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

flutered wrote: »
    celtic broadband.

Looking at their website now.
    Instillation from only €125
    Youtrheach gets high speed broadband
    Getting your companyup to speed

Anyway, that aside, can you tell us what hardware you are using? Make/model etc. That way we can get an idea of what they are talking about. The radio-based broadband equipment I have used before were very difficult to piggyback on to. They used a similar system to what military radios used which is called differential frequency hopping. Basically, it broadcasts on a different channel every second or split second. The receiver is programmed with the same key, and everytime the broadcast channel changes, the receiver hops onto the next channel so no information is lost. Thiss makes eavesdropping or compromise very difficult for an attacker wirelessly.

Can you give us specifics on what they are saying? A tech guy saying someone is running a tail on your equipment sounds like a cop out to me.

Presumeably you rang Tech Support with an issue before they told you this. What was the issue you were having?

syklops wrote: »
    A tech guy saying someone is running a tail on your equipment sounds like a cop out to me.

+1

what hardware, the router is called an air router, the radio i dunno, i had to go with them as with asdl i was getting less then 1meg down, i am on their basic.thanks guys.

i had to contact him last feb march as i had little or no service, apart from storm damage he told me of the tail, i confirmed it again with him during april, he has told a few guys the same about me, the end result was one of them cut a cline, another refused to supply one, i was not pushed as i have one with three years from a source elsewhere, i was trying to compare a few services as they were cheaper than what i had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Most wireless providers in Ireland are using Ubiquiti gear and as far as I'm aware none use frequency hopping as suggested by Skylops.

OP, do you have a Wifi password on your AirRouter?

Quote:
    the end result was one of them cut a cline, another refused to supply one, i was not pushed as i have one with three years from a source elsewhere, i was trying to compare a few services as they were cheaper than what i had.

What do you mean by this?

yes i have a password, also it is wpa2 encripted.the rest i cannot say on thread, the ba stick would be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Then to be honest it's unlikely anyone is piggy-backing your connection.
    WPA2 can be hacked but it's beyond many people and can be time consuming.

Sounds like your provider is spinning you one.
    Ask him for proof that someone is using your connection.

Or better still, log onto your AirRouter and print a screen of the DHCP client list and ARP list. This will give you MAC of everything connected to the router.
    You should be able to identify your own equipment from this proving nobody else is using the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

When you say your supplier, are you reffering to your broadband provider or a supplier of another service?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭900913

flutered wrote: »
    the end result was one of them cut a cline, another refused to supply one, i was not pushed as i have one with three years from a source elsewhere, i was trying to compare a few services as they were cheaper than what i had.

Is the 'cline' you're talking about a 'C-line' as in CCcam sky card-sharing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭FurQyou

You might want to check whether you can screen mac addresses from the router admin panel too.

Not sure if all makes and models have this capability but on my cisco router there is an access control tab which looks like the attached image.

It will show you the mac addresses of any connected clients and give you the opportunity to only allow your own devices access to the network.

Sounds a bit fishy overall though. Hope you get it sorted anyway.

i got a new sam knows router this week, it seemed to be working fine, last night i had schit download speed, i commectef straight on to the new router a tp link n600, and hey presto i got a speettest reading of 1.54 download, up from 0.68, i have not checked it today as yet, i am reaaading my mail firstt.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Maybe I have picked you up wrong, but it appears to me you are using some sort of card sharing service and the supplier is accusing you of sharing the cline with someone else.
    This has nothing to do with your broadband service, router or connected devices or 'runing a tail'.

no it is nothing like that, my supplier claaims that there is some one/thing connecting to the radio on the chimeny, i have changed my router, so at the weeks end i will ask him have i still got the tail. the company i am with supplied the air router, they added the ssid, password etc, i am wondering with the new router and having the wireless on the router disconnected is there a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Radio based broadband of this type is usually used mainly in rural areas. How far is it to the next house? If they have plugged a cable in to your receiver to steal your internet, it should be fairly obvious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement