Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport expiry and US travel

Options
  • 06-06-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone might settle an argument between me and my husband!! We are travelling to America in 2 weeks (for 3 weeks). His passport will expire at the end of august. As far as I know he doesn't need to renew his passport before we go but now he's claiming that he does! It wont expire until 6 weeks after we come home!

I've been trying to ring the embassy but cant get an answer and cant get a number for the passport office

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Your passport needs to be in date for 6 months minimum for some countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Yeah but the US embassy website states that irish citizens don't fall into that category and that once the passport is in date we're fine. He's panicking now saying he wants someone to confirm this but of course no one wants to answer the phone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    Yeah but the US embassy website states that irish citizens don't fall into that category and that once the passport is in date we're fine. He's panicking now saying he wants someone to confirm this but of course no one wants to answer the phone!!!

US Embassy. Ring them. I hear there's a new guy in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Ireland is exempt from the 6 month rule with regards to travel to the US. Once his passport is valid for the amount of time he plans to stay he will be fine.

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/six-months-passport-validity-rule-visitors.html

TO. wrote: »
    Ireland is exempt from the 6 month rule with regards to travel to the US. Once his passport is valid for the amount of time he plans to stay he will be fine.

Yep thats what I said!!! It said the same on the embassy website!!

Thanks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

TO. wrote: »

Completely true

I travelled to the US years ago on a nearly expired passport (1 week after return) all the guy said to me was - "you better get on that you get home".

There'll be no issues.

Completely true

I travelled to the US years ago on a nearly expired passport (1 week after return) all the guy said to me was - "you better get on that you get home".

There'll be no issues.

Brilliant, he's just panicking... typical man, sits back and lets me do all the organising and now he's asking questions!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 to the advice above. I travelled to the US in Nov. 2011 with a passport which had less than 8 weeks remaining. The US immigration agent in Dublin airport didn't even remark on it as I said we were going over for Thanksgiving (weekend).

Here's the definitive statement from the US Embassy in Dublin........

In most cases, to enter the United States, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter. However, the United States has an agreement with some countries (including Ireland) that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. An Irish passport need remain valid only for the duration of the holder's stay in the United States.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/consular/validity-of-irish/eu-passports.html

Advertisement