Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Documentaries

• 06-06-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

This new series is starting Monday on Setanta at 9pm.

I reckon it'll be a great watch and insight into the football, lives and culture of the cities Eric will be covering in the 6 part series.

Has anyone got any recommendations for other football documentaries?

The Two Escobars is my favourite. So something along them lines would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

30 for 30 on ESPN

Think they are on US netflix, well worth a watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30#List_of_30_for_30:_Soccer_Stories_films

There really needs to be a Yugoslavia one made tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

dreamers75 wrote: »
    30 for 30 on ESPN

Savage man thanks.

I'll definitely be checking all these out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

dreamers75 wrote: »
    30 for 30 on ESPN

There really needs to be an Irish one made - its fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

There really needs to be an Irish one made - its fascinating stuff.

There is. Was aired last month http://balls.ie/news/espn-making-30-30-documentary-irelanditaly-loughinisland-massacre/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Watched '4 year plan' recently.

About QPRS' take over. Unreal stuff from behind the scenes was thoroughly enjoyable and something I hope to watch again. Great insight into the running of a football club, hiring and firing managers and a whole host of madness. Pretty honest as well, most of the guys in it are not there anymore so there seems to be very little filtering of content.

You can get it on netflix.

Here is the trailer:

• Advertisement

IrishIrish wrote: »

I remember that - horrible. was that programme any good?

I was thinking more about the 1920s and 30s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

love to see it

Actually found one about made by RTE in the 1970s about Shels. It features Turners Cross. Its unrecognizable except for the houses and the church in the distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Most of the 30 for 30's are on youtube. Great films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Saw a documentary on RTE 2 years ago called The Last Yugoslav Football team which was excellent. It was about the great young Yugoslavia team that won the youth world cup in 1987 in Chile and all the expectations they had about what would happen at senior level until the Bosnian wars broke out and they were kicked out of Euro '92.

The team that could have had the best of the Croats who finished third in the World at France 1998 with the best of the Serb team (Mijatovic, Mihajlovic, Stojkovic, Savicevic etc) and Slovenes, Macedonians and Bosnians.

It is pretty much impossible to track down with English subtitles though but if you can find it, it is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I haven't seen it yet, but Next Goal Wins is supposed to be excellent. It's about the worst international team in the world, American Samoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Saw a documentary on RTE 2 years ago called The Last Yugoslav Football team which was excellent. It was about the great young Yugoslavia team that won the youth world cup in 1987 in Chile and all the expectations they had about what would happen at senior level until the Bosnian wars broke out and they were kicked out of Euro '92.

The team that could have had the best of the Croats who finished third in the World at France 1998 with the best of the Serb team (Mijatovic, Mihajlovic, Stojkovic, Savicevic etc) and Slovenes, Macedonians and Bosnians.

It is pretty much impossible to track down with English subtitles though but if you can find it, it is fantastic.

i've been looking for it with English subs for years, no luck at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If anyone has the US Netflix they have just put up all their 30 for 30 football stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Actually found one about made by RTE in the 1970s about Shels. It features Turners Cross. Its unrecognizable except for the houses and the church in the distance

It's from 1974/75 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PiK7J2I_98

An Irishman's TV show in Spain made a documentary about the 2010 Copa Mundial.

Zidane: A 21st century portrait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Graham Taylor: An Impossible Job is as close as most of us will ever get to the International Dugout. An eye opening fly on the wall doc about a decent man who had no idea how to coach an International team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Skid X wrote: »
    Graham Taylor: An Impossible Job is as close as most of us will ever get to the International Dugout. An eye opening fly on the wall doc about a decent man who had no idea how to coach an International team

I thought that was Mike Bassett? :pac:

Koeman scoring the opener when he should have been sent off just sums up Taylor's reign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Football diaries, which was a series of documentaries on BBC about 10 years ago were excellent. Remember one being particularly good with Ian Ridley trying to save Weymouth from oblivion with Steve Claridges help as manager.

There was Big Ron Manager, fly on the wall doc on Ron Atkinson trying to do something with Peterborough, not high class by any means but fairly insightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There was Big Ron Manager, fly on the wall doc on Ron Atkinson trying to do something with Peterborough, not high class by any means but fairly insightful.

Sean St Ledger came across as a right little bollix in that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Football diaries, which was a series of documentaries on BBC about 10 years ago were excellent. Remember one being particularly good with Ian Ridley trying to save Weymouth from oblivion with Steve Claridges help as manager.

Remember that one.

The manager, Steve Bleasdale, was doing a fine job until Big Ron showed up. Barry Fry, who was the owner at the time, needed the cash from Sky to keep the club afloat so he agreed to allow Ron get involved. The whole thing became a train wreck and Bleasdale resigned just before kick off in a game!

The publicity generated actually worked for Posh because their current owner, Darragh MacAnthony, saw the program and decided to buy the club thus saving them.

Another interesting lower league documentary is Orient -Club for a Fiver. The documentary that introduced the world to the 'legendary' John 'And ya can bring ya facking dinner' Sitton. If you want to see a program charting a lower-league managers descent into madness...this is the one:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Saw the one on Bayern's team of the 70s earlier on Sky.

Hilarious what happened the day after their first EC win . :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Al Jazeera have a series called Football Rebels which is decent.
    As the global sporting world faces one corruption scandal after another, former Manchester United star Eric Cantona presents the stories of five football heroes whose social conscience led them to challenge unjust regimes, join opposition movements and lead the fight for democracy and human rights. Football Rebels looks at a side of football that does not always make the headlines.

Here is the episode on Drogba.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/footballrebels/2013/03/201336105035488821.html

An episode about Socrates is airing in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I watched this the other night, gives a good insight to Millwall's hooligan problems in the 70s, some real characters/thugs in it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Great documentary on first openly gay footballer and first black million pound player and brother of John, it's worth watching of how money and fame can be someone's downfall. John is brutally honest out his and his brother's downfalls

Brilliant documentary on Fascism use and abuse of Football ruined and won many people over, Shows the power Football has then and even now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Saw the one on Bayern's team of the 70s earlier on Sky.

Hilarious what happened the day after their first EC win . :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

http://vimeo.com/72974545

Football Outposts.

Great documentary by BT Sport.
    Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

http://vimeo.com/72974545

Football Outposts.

Great documentary by BT Sport.
    Well worth a watch.

there's a european one too

anyone watch the one on wimbledon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

batistuta9 wrote: »

anyone watch the one on wimbledon?

Yes, and it was fairly disgusting to listen to.

It made me very sorry for some of the young players that weren't in the tough guy clique and the abuse they had to put up with. Way beyond "banter" or hazing. Sticking one of your own team mates in the boot of a car for a night or following him around for 3 days making sure he didn't eat anything is way beyond that.

Clearly that sort of stuff was exaggerated, but it's obvious they were utter c*nts to their own teammates. Dish out whatever you want to the opposition....but a "team" they most certainly were not.

Fashanu was a joke and its clear when you listen to him he's delusional. There is no doubt when you listen to guys like John Scales talk that he was terrorized by them. I felt very sorry for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Can't find it anywhere online but I remember ITV had a programme charting the fortunes of Swansea City (it aired shortly before the start of the 2013/14 season) and I thought it was an excellent watch.

The one part I always recall is the guy who queued up for a ticket for their match v Hull in 2003 where Swansea had to win to stay in the Football League. His photo was on the front page of the local paper showing him in the queue and he got the sack over it for skipping work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Kirby wrote: »

It made me very sorry for some of the young players that weren't in the tough guy clique and the abuse they had to put up with. Way beyond "banter" or hazing. Sticking one of your own team mates in the boot of a car for a night or following him around for 3 days making sure he didn't eat anything is way beyond that.

Clearly that sort of stuff was exaggerated, but it's obvious they were utter c*nts to their own teammates. Dish out whatever you want to the opposition....but a "team" they most certainly were not.

Fashanu was a joke and its clear when you listen to him he's delusional. There is no doubt when you listen to guys like John Scales talk that he was terrorized by them. I felt very sorry for him.
    Haven't seen it myself but Terry Gibson says a lot of it was bs.

http://www.terrygibson.london/#!Crazy-Gang-Documentary/c1zqn/90957FC4-BAF2-4F60-8BCE-D4094277F586

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Kirby wrote: »

Having watched it I did indeed find "Fash" to be a particularly odd fellow.

there was one on last night on itv4, When Football Changed Forever, it's about the story of the 91/92 season and the setup of the premier league.

decent show, some interesting stuff about the PL & those behind it - the big 5 of arsenal, tottenham, man u, l'pool & everton. court battles, potential PFA strikes, supporters protesting about ticket prices, itv vs sky.
    the football really focuses on leeds/man u title battle, some saint & greavsy, donald trump making the draw for the league cup :pac: & a live feed from lee chapmans house after winning the title - which needs to be seen.

it's on again next wednesday

Ronaldo (2015 one) is on itv4 at 10

On @ 10 BBC 4
    Forever Pure - football and racism in Jerusalem

Follows events at Israeli club beitar Jerusalem the only club in the premier league never to sign an Arab player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

On @ 10 BBC 4

Follows events at Israeli club beitar Jerusalem the only club in the premier league never to sign an Arab player

I can already see the tweets accusing the BBC of being anti-semitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

On @ 10 BBC 4

Saw that. I never knew that those 2 Chechen players were basically only signed for the owner's profit, I genuinely thought he wanted to break that barrier of never signing a Muslim player.

is it any good? I didn't get round to watching it yet but seen a minute or two at the start, looked interesting enough.

Advertisement