Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Athlone can I buy a telescope?

Options
  • 06-06-2014 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently had a big interest in astronomy and I was thinking of buying a telescope and I was wondering where in Athlone do they sell them and what is the best place to buy one?

Thanks for your help.

kind regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭ryanciara

I don't really want to buy it online. Is there anywhere in Athlone where they sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Argos is the only place I can think of. They only seem to have them stored in Longford, they might be willing to send it to the Athlone store, no harm in asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Grocery_bag

lidl have ones for 60euro now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Try the arts and hobby shop in the Town Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Never even thought of Art and Hobby :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I would be wary of buying a cheap telescope from the likes of Lidl or even whatever they sell in most camera shops. They tend to be really bad quality or bottom of the range. Argos at least has some celestron telescopes, though even they aren't very good.

One of these would make ideal starter scopes. I think you are out of luck in Athlone for good options.

One thing is that if the lidl telescope that Grocery_bag mentioned for €60 is one of the Bresser ones they had a few years ago, that is a bargain. It's not very good but for a beginner, it's pretty good value from a known brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

ryanciara wrote: »
    Hi,

I have recently had a big interest in astronomy and I was thinking of buying a telescope and I was wondering where in Athlone do they sell them and what is the best place to buy one?

Thanks for your help.

kind regards.

If you don't have binoculars, they are a better bet for a beginner than a telescope, and you can get a pair in a Midland Camera shop, or Argos.

Nikon 10 or 12x50s would be a good buy.

And you can use them for other things as well as looking at the Moon and Jupiter (which is about all a cheap scope is good for).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

And a tripod will make using them a little easier.

Advertisement