Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to make international calls

Options
  • 06-06-2014 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Howrya lads
    Not sure if this is in the right forum

I'm on 48 months.ie network, and have a friend who is on three but is in america for the summer. I'm on a samsung galaxy s2 and my friend is on a galaxy y (so wifi calling is a bit of a problem). I have rung on viber but there is a lot of echo on my friend's end so looking for an alternative.

What is the cheapest way to make international calls?

I've been looking up stuff.

Came across Lycamobile but not entirely sure how this works?

I used bestrate.ie yesterday and it said it was only 5c a minute from my landline to US mobile, not sure if these rates are genuine or if there were hidden charges? cheapcalls.ie is another one I have found although Ideally I would prefer to be able to ring from my mobile instead of landline all the time.

Would I be better off just porting to tesco mobile?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Is the person in the USA using the irish sim card?

Do they have data to use skype or similar?

TM is 2cent a minute till end of july to usa iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

using an american sim card. no they can't use skype.

Will you be using the same number from your local calls/texts/data?

What usage would you need?

I suppose my two options are port to Tesco Mobile, pay 15 euro a month, spend a 5er of that on 1gig, and then use remaining ten euro credit for international call, texts etc.

Or just buy a lycamobile sim, stick it into a spare phone and use that whenever I want to ring my friend.

I suppose ideally I would like to just be able to ring off my own phone. I usually use 1 - 2 gigs a month with 48, and use the ten euro guido deal. I don't use a massive amount of minutes or texts, lots of whatsapp though.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Recommend Tesco Mobile
    Call to my daughter on her mobile in Canada for 31 mins 15 seconds 32 cent
    same to the U.S

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 jackwillson772

I suppose my two options are port to Tesco Mobile, pay 15 euro a month, spend a 5er of that on 1gig, and then use remaining ten euro credit for international call, texts etc.

Or just buy a lycamobile sim, stick it into a spare phone and use that whenever I want to ring my friend.

I suppose ideally I would like to just be able to ring off my own phone. I usually use 1 - 2 gigs a month with 48, and use the ten euro guido deal. I don't use a massive amount of minutes or texts, lots of whatsapp though.

thanks

You are problany better with Tesco mobile €15 plan in the long run rahter than hainvg to topup two sim cards. The free calls with anytop with Lyrca ends the end of this month anyway, while TM runs till the end of July.

when you top up with lycra how long does your credit last? is it thirty days like 48?

What's the data strength like with TM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

What's app ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 czarek

In my opinion Lycamobile is the cheapest. I have tried to Poland many times.As I can see that is exactly the same to USA. If that was me I wud send sim card the the friend in USA if he hasnt got one yet and I wud go to same one in Eire and thats it. Happy days! wot ye think? I am with Lyca since 1 year and 2 months. I went from vodafone kept original 087....phone NO. Never had the problem with them yet. Very cheap....esp....on landlines anyworld incuding Irish ones 3c/min....For 29 euroes uv got all unlimited-Landlines and mobiles in Ireland + 1 GB for 30 days....this is truth..I ve checked that ones....I am not that heavy user of internet so I stopped topping up 30 euros monthly....I ve got unlimited usage plus landline in Ireland. If uv got question...just simply ask...I will try to help you if I can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Why can't use Skype if they can use viber?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galaxy Y should support Skype audio call.
    Or use computers and skype for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

If Skype-Skype isn't an option

You can call mobiles/landlines from Skype (top up your account with credit) - for 2c per minute.
    No need to port networks.

Advertisement