Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bore/hone to 1st oversize. Recommend a garage/workshop

• 06-06-2014 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

As the subject line suggests my XT500 single cylinder might need some work done soon enough. Oil consumption is up, compression is down. Mileage unknown. Engine is orig XT but not matching w frame number.
    It's still ok but will need doing after the summer
    Anyone who can recommend a good garage workshop for that kind if thing? Preferably south east.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I have often dealt with with Two wheels r us in bagenalstown, carlow. and can recommend them. http://www.twowheelsrus.com/
    Also there is Baldrick's Motorcycles in Kilkenny, http://www.kilkennycityonline.com/baldricks-motor-cycles-ad.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Might not be the bore, could be a burnt valve or similar, and worn valve guides would put the oil consumption up. Head gasket could be leaky too...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Might just need a hone and new set of rings and a topend refresh as Ninja says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ye're right, I' making assumptions. Best have a look then first. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Save yourself some time and money and source yourself a good known low mileage engine and stick it in.

• Advertisement

Save yourself some time and money and source yourself a good known low mileage engine and stick it in.
    Maybe easier said than done with that engine, last made in 1981?
    2 valves simple job.

Oversize piston and rings and new valves and valve guides (if needed) may or may not be easily sourced either.

Scrap the cap!

Not making assumptions is important. My first bike was a 100cc 2-stroke, after a while it started smoking very heavily. Haynes manual and everything else I read said that this meant worn bore. Got it rebored and new piston and rings, no dice. Turned out someone had undone the primary gear and not put the lockwasher on it properly, the nut loosened and started grinding away at the crankcase, eventually gearbox oil was able to leak out and get sucked into the carb causing the smoke. New lockwasher and a second hand right hand half engine casing sorted it.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Oversize piston and rings and new valves and valve guides (if needed) may or may not be easily sourced either.
    There is a huge aftermarket for XT500 stuff especially in Germany.
    Valves are about 30 ea intake and exhaust. Viton stem seals are less than 10 for a pair. Valve guides about 30 ea.
    Piston Kit 200euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

XT500, now in 600cc form. 95mm CP piston, bigbore sleeve, enlarged engine casing, Dellorto 41mm carb, bigbore cam, 49mm inlet valve, stiffened valve springs, barnett clutch fritcionplates, Magura Hymec hydraulic clutch, KEDO digital programmable ignition, 12V conversion, 2005 KTM front fork, KTM frontbrake, Wilbers rear shocks, profab swingarm, Excel rims with stainless steel spokes.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    XT500, now in 600cc form. 95mm CP piston, bigbore sleeve, enlarged engine casing, Dellorto 41mm carb, bigbore cam, 49mm inlet valve, stiffened valve springs, barnett clutch fritcionplates, Magura Hymec hydraulic clutch, KEDO digital programmable ignition, 12V conversion, 2005 KTM front fork, KTM frontbrake, Wilbers rear shocks, profab swingarm, Excel rims with stainless steel spokes.

But stock standard ones are worth more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

CJhaughey wrote: »
    But stock standard ones are worth more.

My one is stock standard 1979 with a very few essentials mods like 12v H4. And I really love the bike and she'd be considered not showroom but pretty darn good. But to be honest worth more or not if this guy offered me a swap I'd probably take his arm off.

Advertisement