Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Hospital

• 06-06-2014 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-hospital-emergency-department-hit-as-not-fit-for-purpose-1502876-Jun2014/
    THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT at University Hospital Limerick poses a number of risks to patient safety, a new report has found.
    The review by the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA), says that continuous overcrowding at the department is a concern.

So now Limerick A&E has problems. Remember when they closed our A&E and the one in Nenagh and FF's Mary Harney started talking about 'Centres Of Excellence' one of which was Limerick Hospital?

Yeah, it was utter shyte then and it still is now. It's too bad people voted that same crowd back in again. So how long until it becomes a case of if you have a heart attack after 8PM in Ennis you will have to wait for an ambulance to come from Dublin to collect you and bring you back?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

CptSternn wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-hospital-emergency-department-hit-as-not-fit-for-purpose-1502876-Jun2014/

So now Limerick A&E has problems. Remember when they closed our A&E and the one in Nenagh and FF's Mary Harney started talking about 'Centres Of Excellence' one of which was Limerick Hospital?

Yeah, it was utter shyte then and it still is now. It's too bad people voted that same crowd back in again. So how long until it becomes a case of if you have a heart attack after 8PM in Ennis you will have to wait for an ambulance to come from Dublin to collect you and bring you back?

Unless I've jumped into an alternative reality, I'm fairly sure we didn't vote the same crowd back in again. I'll give you that the current crowd aren't much better, but they're definitely diffferent.

To get to the original point, the ED in UHL was never large enough to take Ennis and Nenaghs patients, so it's not suddenly a new problem.
    The facilties at the hospital are improving constantly with another new extension due to open shortly, but like most hospitals in the counrty it's understaffed and underfunded.

Also until last year if you has a severe heart attack in Clare you would be transferred to Galway. Now you go to Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

the report also concludes that one of the reasons for pressure in the a+e is that
    the local minor injuries units in nenagh and ennis are not being used by their communities.people seem to prefer to travel to limerick when in lots of cases it is not necessary. a bit like shopping in lidl or aldi while the local shop struggles to survive. another point being overlooked is the fact that most consultants choose
    not to work bank holidays.therefore a considerable number of patients fit and able for discharge on friday end up in hospital over the weekend until tuesday. thats a lot of beds unavailable every bank holiday weekend .bed blocking by consultant neglect in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

pilate 1 wrote: »
    the report also concludes that one of the reasons for pressure in the a+e is that
    the local minor injuries units in nenagh and ennis are not being used by their communities.people seem to prefer to travel to limerick when in lots of cases it is not necessary.

It's my understanding that there are ongoing issues with the Minor Injury Clinics in Ennis and Nenagh. The problem is they're extremely limited in the services that they can provide at the moment so patients are being referred by GPs to Limerick where they'll he guaranteed that they'll be treated but only after they've endured horrendous waiting times. If the HSE are serious about reducing the chronic overcrowding in Limerick, they'll have to improve the facilities in Ennis and Nenagh to relieve the pressure.

The Midwest is the only region in the country which has one 24 hour emergency department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The waiting time in Limerick A&E is absolutely horrendous ..... two visits I am aware of recently (family members) .....

arrived at about 5.30pm ....... was seen by a doctor at 4.30am and sent home with a couple of pain killers ...... had been diagnosed with concussion from a head injury (the second in a number of weeks)

the other - attended at 7.00pm and was 'seen' at 3.00am and sent home with no action taken

Three weeks later as the headaches continued from the concussion a scan was performed - in a different hospital!

Not someplace I would be comfortable attending even for a 'minor injury'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Friend attended Limerick 5 times since Easter with stomach pain & vomiting sent home each time with different diagnosis
    Same person now sitting in Altagelvin (?sp) hospital in Derry having had appendix removed in an emergency OP on Tuesday
    (Was on hols in Donegal got sick went to doctor was sent to Derry by ambulance)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The problem is that Ennis doesn't have the services it needs and Limerick can't handle the additional volume from Ennis and Nenagh. I tore a ligament and my GP told me that I'd be seen faster in Ennis but if an x-ray was needed I'd have to go to Limerick. Surely putting a service as fundamental as an X ray department in Ennis would take a lot of pressure off Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The problem is that Ennis doesn't have the services it needs and Limerick can't handle the additional volume from Ennis and Nenagh. I tore a ligament and my GP told me that I'd be seen faster in Ennis but if an x-ray was needed I'd have to go to Limerick. Surely putting a service as fundamental as an X ray department in Ennis would take a lot of pressure off Limerick.
    I've had X-Rays taken in Ennis in the past but sometimes there is a lengthy delay getting someone to read them. I don't think there is a permanent radiographer based in Ennis. Limerick would most certainly be quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

Last couple of times someone in my family needed A&E, we've gone to the Galway Clinic. Think it cost €120.00 but they were seen by doc and treated both times within an hour. Well worth it although they are only open between 8.00am and 8.00pm ( I think)

Advertisement