Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to USA via London

Options
  • 06-06-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I am travelling to San Francisco in October, dept Dublin to London and then from London to SF - Airline and price choice.

Will I need to do the pre-immigration clearance in Dublin or in London ?

And if in Dublin, will I need to be at the airport 2-3 hours before take off ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

You will need to clear immigration in sfo on arrival.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just for you to know, Ireland is the only country in Europe where you can clear US immigration before leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

But can I clear US Immigration if flying to London first and then onwards to San Fran ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

No, clear in SFO only.

Pre-clearance in Dublin is only for direct flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

if it's any consolation I have never waited anything beyond 30 minutes in SFO. The european flights arrive at a different time to the Asia flights, so the load on the officers is less (twice as many asian flights land at SFO than European)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

if it's any consolation I have never waited anything beyond 30 minutes in SFO. The european flights arrive at a different time to the Asia flights, so the load on the officers is less (twice as many asian flights land at SFO than European)

Last time I arrived in SFO I had to wait 2 hours in immigration... so it is not all plain (or is that plane) sailing..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The wait is a matter of luck as to how many arrivals hit SFO when you arrive. It was about 10/15 minutes for me recently for an afternoon arrival.

Advertisement