Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying a DVD and burning it to another blank one

Options
  • 06-06-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I have a windows 8 laptop - a Lenovo.

I want to copy a DVD onto my laptop and then burn it to another blank DVD.

I was hoping the experience would be simple enough, such as a copy and paste job, but it doesn't seem to be working out.

Is there some special software needed to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

DVDs are encrypted. You will need to decrypt the DVD first, then burn it in a format players will understand. For a free way you can try DVD Fab Decrypter then burn with DVDShrink

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The most straightforward way to do a direct DVD copy is to read the DVD to a .iso file and then write that iso file to a new DVD.

The .iso is basically a snapshot of the DVD contents in raw binary format, which is then written to the new DVD, so you get an exact copy. This is distinct from copying the files off one DVD and copy them to another DVD; as strictly speaking you're not duplicating it.

http://www.imgburn.com/ will let you do it.

Edit:
    DVD encryption only applies if you want to extract the video in a different format. If you simply want to duplicate a DVD, then copying to ISO is the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

As far as I know the DVD is free to be copied.

I would have thought modern laptops would have the facility to rip and burn CDs and DVDs. I don't want to be downloading extra 'free' software from the web. It just normally tries to change your browser settings and end up with adware.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Modern laptops do, it's the software that lets them down ;)

You can copy-and-paste in Windows to copy a DVD down and then copy it back up.

The missing piece is that Windows won't let you rip a DVD to .iso (it will let you write a .iso to disc though)

The software above is fine, don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Use Handbrake to Rip the DVD - assuming there is no encryption involved. Free download without the crapware direct from the makers.

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Then use Windows DVD Maker to burn the disc.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows7/burn-a-dvd-video-disc-with-windows-dvd-maker

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

cdburnerxp does the business for me and of course, it's free. Enjoy.

https://cdburnerxp.se/en/download

If I was copying it to a USB stick would the same apply or could I just copy and paste. I would rather not download software from the net.

If I was copying it to a USB stick would the same apply or could I just copy and paste. I would rather not download software from the net.

You'll need to burn the disc in such a way that it will play in the player. Generally you can achieve this by duplicating the DVD structure (AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS and assoc. ifos, vobs) and then choosing finalize when burning the disc.
    If you cannot copy the disc at present there may well be encryption on it. In that case you'll need to use a special tool, such as DVD Fab I mentioned above to rip the DVD to your hard disk. You can then burn DVD Fabs output afterwards using your choice of burning software, which may or may not work depending on how it structures burnt discs/file system etc.

Nick

Seems like a lot involved when all you want to do is copy and paste from one DVD to another.

I presume it is to do with copyright issues, not wanting DVDs to be copied.

Are most professional videographers still using the DVD format?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

seamus wrote: »

http://www.imgburn.com/ will let you do it.

Another vote for imgburn here. Click one button copies the DVD to the HDD... click another button burns the ISO to the blank DVD.

As close to copy and paste as you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

mrcheez wrote: »
    Another vote for imgburn here. Click one button copies the DVD to the HDD... click another button burns the ISO to the blank DVD.

As close to copy and paste as you can get.
    imgburn now has a toolbar or did have last time i used

I would have thought modern laptops would have the facility to rip and burn CDs and DVDs. I don't want to be downloading extra 'free' software from the web. It just normally tries to change your browser settings and end up with adware.
    not all of them do that but you are correct to be wary. Go to the actual home page of the product to download it.

Here is a good place to look for software

yoyo wrote: »
    It does alright, install through Ninite to bypass the toolbar :)

Nick
    can you program that to bypass toolbars? Personally i would not use imgburn at all. sneaky tolbar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I avoided installing the toolbar by selecting "Skip" when asked if I wanted to "Install the Toolbar" :)

mrcheez wrote: »
    I avoided installing the toolbar by selecting "Skip" when asked if I wanted to "Install the Toolbar" :)
    it is pretty sneaky for beginners and the op sounds like he does not have much experience

GoodLord wrote: »
    can you program that to bypass toolbars? Personally i would not use imgburn at all. sneaky tolbar

Ninite does not install Toolbars, Google Chrome, McAffee or any of that crap. Just the program itself.
    From ninite.com:
    Ninite installs apps for you in the background. No clicking next. We say NO to toolbars or other junk.
    :)

Nick

Advertisement