Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likelyhood of failing honours maths?

• 06-06-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Im not necessarily bad at maths, I passed the mock. All I want in the leaving is a HD3. But today went really bad. I didn't get 2 whole Section B qs started and I didn't do great on the rest. I added up realistically what I think I got and it came to about 120/300. Considering I do somewhat decent on P2, is there still a good chance of failing or will they try their best to pass me? Ive been told that they will manipulate the marking scheme if everyone does bad and that they want everyone to pass. Do many people fail?

What are my options if I do fail? I heard that you have to repeat the exam privately in a college or something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

If only I had just done an exam with statistics and probability as part of the syllabus, I'd be able to answer that question.

^ Joke.

Seriously, don't panic. They don't mark on a curve, nor adjust the curve, but you may pick up a few more marks for attempts etc that may help you get over the line. You might not be as badly off as you think. It's impossible to know without the marking scheme in front of you, which you've not seen.

Don't worry about options just yet, trick is to get the best of the rest in the bag at this stage. You've more subjects to cover, and that exam is behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ELynch96

Listen for the mocks for paper one I got 60/300 .. And I still passed due to paper 2 so you can do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

I feel i did awful today too :( and I worked really hard for maths..But paper 2 is easier in my opinion and I though I failed my mock but i go 50% and that was the DEB's paper. I felt I did so bad today But hopefully paper 2 will bring me up. I think its only a 3% fail rate for HL maths anyways so I feel I did better than the lower 3%(hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

What percent of people fail? Some lads in my exam hall couldn't answer substantial questions at all, and I didnt hear a single good thing about the exam, thats why hearing it was a "fair" paper on the news was a bit of a shock.

In the last 2 questions (bridge and water), I got about half the parts correct (the very last page is completely blank except for a formula).

I got 35% on both papers in the mocks, but I think I did a lot better this time. Maybe shooting for a high D. Paper 2 will bring me down, I only know a few chapters well in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

I feel i did awful today too :( and I worked really hard for maths..But paper 2 is easier in my opinion and I though I failed my mock but i go 50% and that was the DEB's paper. I felt I did so bad today But hopefully paper 2 will bring me up. I think its only a 3% fail rate for HL maths anyways so I feel I did better than the lower 3%(hopefully)

This, it's like a 3.7% fail rate. They're still at the point of encouraging people to do HL maths so failures will still stay low. Be positive :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭pdev

oh man im on the same boat! could have been a lot harder my arse! I'd say I passed in about 4 or 5 of the short questions, got nearly full marks for q9 and performed miserably on 7 and 8. disappointed at not getting financial maths...but head up for paper 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I think the equation would be:

P(Pass Maths/Bad Paper 1) = X

Solve for X

RingoIRL wrote: »
    What percent of people fail? Some lads in my exam hall couldn't answer substantial questions at all, and I didnt hear a single good thing about the exam, thats why hearing it was a "fair" paper on the news was a bit of a shock.

In the last 2 questions (bridge and water), I got about half the parts correct (the very last page is completely blank except for a formula).

I got 35% on both papers in the mocks, but I think I did a lot better this time. Maybe shooting for a high D. Paper 2 will bring me down, I only know a few chapters well in it.

Suppose it was fair for people who are good at that sort of maths..There was no financial and I'm really good at that stuff and there was no Pure algebra question. The last question was ok But I couldnt find A so I just made up a value and did the rest of the question using that so attempt marks! :)
    i didnt get anything fully right though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Im not necessarily bad at maths, I passed the mock. All I want in the leaving is a HD3. But today went really bad. I didn't get 2 whole Section B qs started and I didn't do great on the rest. I added up realistically what I think I got and it came to about 120/300. Considering I do somewhat decent on P2, is there still a good chance of failing or will they try their best to pass me? Ive been told that they will manipulate the marking scheme if everyone does bad and that they want everyone to pass. Do many people fail?

What are my options if I do fail? I heard that you have to repeat the exam privately in a college or something.

As of 1969 they pass anyone who comes within 2% of the pass mark because they realise how important it is for some people to pass.
    [read it in our information booklet]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

they will want to keep the fail rate low this year because its the first year of project maths. they wont want to show how they spent millions of euro on a subject to show a high fail rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

Huell wrote: »
    they will want to keep the fail rate low this year because its the first year of project maths. they wont want to show how they spent millions of euro on a subject to show a high fail rate

Very true, it'd be a huge embarrassment if there were serious numbers failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Don't panic yet! When I did it, I was convinced I failed and ended up coming out with a B2. Try forget about it for the moment, no point fretting about it. Just concentrate on your exams. The biggest mistake I made was getting so upset about my Maths Paper 1 that I did barely any study for the other exams the weekend after.

nommm wrote: »
    Don't panic yet! When I did it, I was convinced I failed and ended up coming out with a B2. Try forget about it for the moment, no point fretting about it. Just concentrate on your exams. The biggest mistake I made was getting so upset about my Maths Paper 1 that I did barely any study for the other exams the weekend after.

Lol A b2! well theres a Story for hope thanks :P thats awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

Lol A b2! well theres a Story for hope thanks :P thats awesome

There's a difference between knowing you did terrible and thinking you did bad when you actually did good. Im more of a realist, if I was anywhere near close to getting a B2 I'd know it

• Registered Users Posts: 31 feckin priests

Reading through this has given me a small bit of hope

Reading through this has given me a small bit of hope

Same. At least Im not the only one who did ****. Even one of the hardest workers in my class who I was expecting to at least get a C, possibly B, did bad. Or maybe hes just like the guy above who ended up getting the B

There's a difference between knowing you did terrible and thinking you did bad when you actually did good. Im more of a realist, if I was anywhere near close to getting a B2 I'd know it

Well I wouldnt dont burst my bubble! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

You never know how others did. That's what it's down to really. In 2011 and 2012 the exams were far too hard and as a result, people were getting 5/10 for any reasonable attempt in the question. Just look at the marking scheme for proof of this. I thought the exam yesterday was very difficult and so I was shocked to see RTÉ News saying it was nice. Then I thought about it - they gave the opinion of ONE maths teacher in that school and ran with that as fact. The interviews with students didn't give equally positive remarks.

If people find it difficult you'll probably do a lot better than you thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Yeah, I wrote down a bunch of numbers that sort of related to the questions in hope I'd get some sort of attempt marks :pac: sort of worrying about failing now...used to be good at maths up until mid 5th year when it all went downhill. Focusing on getting 80% in paper 2 and hopefully passing with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Yeah, I wrote down a bunch of numbers that sort of related to the questions in hope I'd get some sort of attempt marks :pac: sort of worrying about failing now...used to be good at maths up until mid 5th year when it all went downhill. Focusing on getting 80% in paper 2 and hopefully passing with that!

I'm the exact same as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Shane15 wrote: »
    I'm the exact same as you.

Ah, be grand anyways! 70-80% in paper 2 and I'm flying it! CIT is the backup anyways if I fail, they've a maths exam you can sit to get the necessary grade and apparently it's easy

robman60 wrote: »
    You never know how others did. That's what it's down to really. In 2011 and 2012 the exams were far too hard and as a result, people were getting 5/10 for any reasonable attempt in the question. Just look at the marking scheme for proof of this. I thought the exam yesterday was very difficult and so I was shocked to see RTÉ News saying it was nice. Then I thought about it - they gave the opinion of ONE maths teacher in that school and ran with that as fact. The interviews with students didn't give equally positive remarks.

If people find it difficult you'll probably do a lot better than you thought.

I remember looking at a marking scheme for a 25m question and you got 20 marks for "getting it half right".

Ive seen nothing but complaints about the paper on here so generally, did most people did bad?

I remember looking at a marking scheme for a 25m question and you got 20 marks for "getting it half right".

Ive seen nothing but complaints about the paper on here so generally, did most people did bad?

Some people found it good.. I didnt :( But tbh they wont fail people Its the 1st year of pure project maths coarse so They need to look good. Be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tsire

Honestly, I think you'll be fine. If you added up 120/300 for paper 1, I'd imagine they would mark it much easier in reality - we're always a bit hard on ourselves, you'd be surprised at how easily you pick up marks here and there. And if you think you're pretty good at paper 2 then you're sorted really. Also, there's something like twice as many people doing HL maths this year than two years ago due to the 25 points thing. The majority of these extra people are only doing HL for this reason. Might sound a bit harsh, but these people bring the average down, meaning the standard will be considerably lower. I was so disappointed with paper 1 as well, but we just have to hope it will be marked easily! After all, they won't want a high percentage failing because it would make the whole project maths thing look really bad!
    In the highly, highly unlikely possibility that you do fail (seriously though, if you passed the mock as well this won't happen), then certain colleges allow you to sit the exam privately IF maths is a requirement - if not, then I don't think it matters too much as long as you meet the other course requirements.
    Hope that made you feel a bit better about it - just stay positive and best of luck!

Advertisement