Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do your teachers know the grades you got in their subjects?

• 06-06-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Just wondering do the teachers find out specifically what grade each of their students got in the leaving cert or is it strictly confidential? I'm not sure if I'd like my teachers knowing what grades I got tbh just because it just seems like it should be confidential and information only the student should be privy to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 leavingcert problems

Yep! In our school they print out all the results and stick then up in the staff room. They also have a list of what course everyone takes. In sure it's like that in other schools too. I don't really like the idea of it either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Yep! In our school they print out all the results and stick then up in the staff room. They also have a list of what course everyone takes. In sure it's like that in other schools too. I don't really like the idea of it either!

......why? I can understand them seeing your leaving cert results because it shows how well they can teach, but college courses are completely irrelevant to them in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

The nosy gits! They must do the same in my school because I remember in TY this teacher I never even had came over wondering why I took ordinary tech graphics. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Chonaic17

I know in my school the results of every subject are available to every teacher, they just put all the results on an Excel sheet and print it off for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Hotale.com wrote: »
    ......why? I can understand them seeing your leaving cert results because it shows how well they can teach, but college courses are completely irrelevant to them in fairness.
    I'm not even sure where they'd get that or why they would care. It would take a bit of work and has no benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure why or how teachers would get a list of courses. I've never heard of that.

The results come in on a big sheet with numbers (not names) and subject codes. Most teachers are not in on results day so won't see them before you.

spurious wrote: »
    Not sure why or how teachers would get a list of courses. I've never heard of that.

The results come in on a big sheet with numbers (not names) and subject codes. Most teachers are not in on results day so won't see them before you.

The guidance teacher rings everyone on the day of the cao offers and compiles loads of statistics about each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

The guidance teacher rings everyone on the day of the cao offers and compiles loads of statistics about each year.

I lied: Medicine in Trinity!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Well then it's your choice really if you want to tell them.

But yeah, they get a list of results from the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, any decent teacher interested in his / her students is always going to like to hear what they're doing, and be pleased that they've got the course they wanted, or disappointed if they missed out on a course the teacher knows they wanted.
    spurious wrote: »
    There's certainly no mechanism by which the CAO return that information to schools, nor indeed should there be, so presumably in the vast majority of cases it's because the students themselves or their parents have let the school know, in which case they presumably want the teachers to know.

I suppose occasionally word could filter back through a third party, but that's probably much more unusual.

Edit: Wow, that's a lot of work for the guidance teacher, 'problems!!

Fee-paying school by any chance?

• Advertisement

In my school, the headmaster gave a little speech before allowing us to get our results. :rolleyes: He said that there had been two maximum scorers, and named them. Everyone clapped; one of the two hugged her mum, started crying, and took congratulations from fellow students. Then she got her results...headmaster had made a mistake: one of the A1's was in an Ordinary subject :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭BeatlesFan1992

In my school, the headmaster gave a little speech before allowing us to get our results. :rolleyes: He said that there had been two maximum scorers, and named them. Everyone clapped; one of the two hugged her mum, started crying, and took congratulations from fellow students. Then she got her results...headmaster had made a mistake: one of the A1's was in an Ordinary subject :eek:

I say the sheer embarrassment from Mr Principal taught him a lesson...

Then she got her results...headmaster had made a mistake: one of the A1's was in an Ordinary subject :eek:
    Oh god!!! >.<

Yet another reason why teachers / principals shouldn't do the "look at X and how well she got on!" thing! :rolleyes:
    To hell with him, the poor student though!

That actually made my day.

:pac:

Well, any decent teacher interested in his / her students is always going to like to hear what they're doing, and be pleased that they've got the course they wanted, or disappointed if they missed out on a course the teacher knows they wanted.

There's certainly no mechanism by which the CAO return that information to schools, nor indeed should there be, so presumably in the vast majority of cases it's because the students themselves or their parents have let the school know, in which case they presumably want the teachers to know.

I suppose occasionally word could filter back through a third party, but that's probably much more unusual.

Edit: Wow, that's a lot of work for the guidance teacher, 'problems!!

Fee-paying school by any chance?
    Nope local convent :P she's super organised. She emails us surveys to get feedback on her classes and has loads of charts in her power points with the advice from LC's gone by.

I'd go mental if that happened to me..

Or just if he announced my results before I even open it.

Sadist! :p
    Nope local convent :P she's super organised. She emails us surveys to get feedback on her classes and has loads of charts in her power points with the advice from LC's gone by.
    Not just organised but very committed!! Nice to hear.

We're lucky if our guidance counsellor comes in once a week...

She sounds like a good teacher.

Mine just goes into the 6th year classes in September and asks if they know where anyone in the previous year ended up :rolleyes:

Well, they don't come more arrogant than him, so I dunno. Luckily for all involved, she didn't open them there.

Yet another reason why teachers / principals shouldn't do the "look at X and how well she got on!" thing! :rolleyes:

To hell with him, the poor student though!

The school is still name-dropping the guy who got into Yale like ten years ago :D

She still did really well (580, or something), so the biggest shame is that the gloss was taken off that.

I'm ecstatic to have been of service!

I agree that I'd probably rather my teachers didn't know. My first time doing my LC, I got <100 points. I never considered that that performance would likely have been discussed by a few. A way to avoid it would be to insist on being entered as an external candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Just wondering do the teachers find out specifically what grade each of their students got in the leaving cert or is it strictly confidential? I'm not sure if I'd like my teachers knowing what grades I got tbh just because it just seems like it should be confidential and information only the student should be privy to?

Why would you be bothered? They've taught you for two years, possibly up to five, they'd like to know how you got on. Most teachers do want you to succeed. A copy of the results is left in our staffroom on the day they come out. A lot of teachers come in that day to find out how the students got on. It can be useful for students that haven't got what they wanted and know they won't be getting their chosen college course because they are way off the points/failed maths etc. It gives them a bit of support.

In terms of the college thing, schools don't get info from the CAO. But we hear a lot of info locally, students who know on the day of the LC results where they will be going, e.g. got 500 points, needed 380 so know unless there is a major upset that they will get their first choice course. We hear a lot from some of them coming back in returning books, viewing their scripts at the end of August and just from generally meeting them or their siblings around the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I don't know, I wouldn't like the thought of teachers knowing what I got all the same unless my results were like amazing.Ok fair enough they're given the percentage of the grades their students got but the fact they know what each individual student got?? :/ doesn't sit right with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

In reality what difference will it make to you ?

Once you get that envelope in your hand you won't care who is even in the building. You will walk out the door and the teachers won't enter your head again unless you want to view a script or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    I don't know, I wouldn't like the thought of teachers knowing what I got all the same unless my results were like amazing.Ok fair enough they're given the percentage of the grades their students got but the fact they know what each individual student got?? :/ doesn't sit right with me

Would you be bothered to discover that most teachers pretty much know what grades students are going to get based on what they've seen during 5th and 6th year anyway!

You could also consider the view that the teacher considers the classes results to be their own results too!
    Teacher 1: How did you get on?
    Teacher 2: 5A's 10B's 15C's ...
    Teacher 1: Are you going to reccomend any rechecks?
    Teacher 2: Yes theres 2 that definitely should have been a B....

Sound familiar?

I wouldn't worry about it too much tbh, if my students get the course they wanted then thats the main thing.

Advertisement