Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best CM / FM Version

• 06-06-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I used to be a CM addict. I mean home by 5, on the game until 11 or 12, up in the morning for a quick hour before work and then most of the weekend. My then girlfriend had a great job in the hospitality industry which meant she was never home when I was (well rarely) which meant I could get 40 hours a week in easy. Throw in a crate of beer and its easy to see why I now need to lose a stone or two.

Then kids got in the way and my wife is now home all the time meaning I have to do grown up stuff. So in 2009 or so for the first time ever I didn’t buy that season’s game. I then went to buying the game every second season or so and eventually fell out of love with the game.

Then in 2012 I was made redundant and found the game again only for the inconvenience of getting a job again meant my affair was short lived.

Last weekend I bought FM2014 as steam had it cheap. Before Christmas I bought FM2013 which lies untouched on my hard drive. I spent last weekend trying to get into FM2014 but am failing miserably. As I’ve said countless times before since Sega got their hands on it it has been ruined by over engineering it (and don’t mention this “unlockables” crap – talk about “adding value to the sales base”.

So am thinking about going back to an earlier CM but can’t for the life of me pin point which I enjoyed most.

CM 01/02 seems to be widely regarded – what are people’s views and is it available to buy anywhere in cyber world?

Thanks

C22

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I never played it but I have FM05 on CD and can post it to ya if ya want?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

It sounds to me like champman0102.co.uk is your best bet. Championship manager 01/02 is now free to download (either there or from Eidos themselves as it's "officially" a free download). They also offer patches and data packs so you can update the database to the latest squads etc., and it's all free.

I actually downloaded this myself, and updated the database with the most recent packs, but I just had to delete it not long after (again) because it just consumes your evenings and weekends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Easily the early 00's were the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wilberto wrote: »
    It sounds to me like champman0102.co.uk is your best bet. Championship manager 01/02 is now free to download (either there or from Eidos themselves as it's "officially" a free download). They also offer patches and data packs so you can update the database to the latest squads etc., and it's all free.

I actually downloaded this myself, and updated the database with the most recent packs, but I just had to delete it not long after (again) because it just consumes your evenings and weekends!

You have just made a new mortal enemy in my girlfriend, but I love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was it 00/01 that had cherno samba, tonton zola moukoko & to madeira?

That one then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

that would be 01/02...

Interesting that had a few match engine bugs, so you had to work hard not to win the league all the time - so it was the eeasiest version, and also therefore everyone favourite :)

Advertisement