Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet for a cat with a sensitive tum

• 06-06-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm trying to find a good diet to keep Dude's tum regular. He had been on whiskas pouches/royal canin dry food which did not agree after his accident so I changed all the cats over to cosma wet food/applaws dry which was going great for all of them, but he still gets flare ups of bad constipation and diarrhoea about once a month. This generally clears up after feeding hills ID or Royal canin gastro intestinal for about a week, as well as using defurrum for the constipation, but then will come back after a period of time. I was just wondering would it be worth feeding him these foods full time? Cost wouldn't be an issue or anything, I'd feed him whatever it takes to keep him well, but would it be okay nutrition wise for him? He LOVES the ID pouches, he eats them even quicker than he does with the cosma!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well the description for it stats it's all that's needed so from that point there's no issue; I've got issues with the content in general but I simply don't like to see wheat, syrup etc. in any cat food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yeah the ingredients aren't the best, I know it wouldn't be as good quality as what he was on, but I'm just hoping it would keep his stomach more settled than what it has been. I know it's not only food causing his problems but I'm hoping that it might help keep things in check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

If it works for him and its a reasonably good quality diet then feed it.

My cat started out on Royal Canin, which he was fine and healthy on for 2/3years, at some point I moved onto Hills as there was a product in the range RC didn't offer.

After a little while it started to disagree with him, and when I tried switching him back to RC, he didn't settle on it, and wasn't as enthuastic about it as before (its not as nice a consistency as Hills)
    I'd still stand by RC, but have fallen out of love with Hills.

So he went onto Thrive.

Cats are individuals, some things will suit them that others don't thrive on at all. There will be advantages/disadvantages to every commercial brand. I don't mind the high level of fillers in RC because my cat is largely sedentary. The food he is on right now would be too rich for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

What about taking him off dry food and just feeding him a high quality wet food. The dry food can be very hard on some cats digestive system. Sometimes Toby gets an upset tummy and the poop gets stuck coming out, so we have to put ky jelly on a rubber glove and peel it off leaving his poor bottom raw. We started putting a pinch of wheat germ in his wet food and that seems to have sorted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

We have three kitties from the one litter that have always been prone to GI upsets - we tested them for EVERYTHING! Anyhoo a year down the road and they are all doing great on Royal Canin gastro-intestinal. No diarrhoea so long as they stay on it.

• Advertisement

Oh that's great to know boomerang, I may try him on that again. We usually buy the ID in the vets because they seem to have it more often than the RC but I might buy it on zooplus and try him on it for longer than last time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 shaunamona

Royal canin gastro intestinal, royal canin sensitivity food or hills ID all 3 can be fed long term they are all just as god a quality as the standard royal canin food. You could also try boiled rice and chicken or weetabix just when the cat gets flares up and just feed standard royal canin the rest of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

SMX you can always buy the RC in a different vets, too. They won't mind at all that you're not a client - they should sell it to you OTC. We get it in Crescent or John O' Dwyer's. If you follow our page, two of the three kitties are the tabbys, Kona and Kayla - you can see they are doing brilliantly! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

boomerang wrote: »
    SMX you can always buy the RC in a different vets, too. They won't mind at all that you're not a client - they should sell it to you OTC. We get it in Crescent or John O' Dwyer's. If you follow our page, two of the three kitties are the tabbys, Kona and Kayla - you can see they are doing brilliantly! :)
    They're a gorgeous pair, I hope they find a great home together.

Ah I never even thought about buying in a different vets I'm so used to just going to our ones! Yep I do follow the page, they are a beautiful pair!!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement