Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC History 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

For the challenges facing Russia, I talked about the challenges and how they Stalin dealt with them. Doubt this is alright, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CloCloBrowne

Was anyone else quite disappointed be the questions for topic 5, Northern Ireland in section two?

For the challenges facing Russia, I talked about the challenges and how they Stalin dealt with them. Doubt this is alright, is it?

If you refered to the question you'll still get some marks I think

Yer defo did but I did half a paragraph on the challenge, and half on how he tackled. So for example, Stalin said ''we are 50-100 years behind that of the advanced countries, either we make good the difference in 10 or they crush us''. So I talked about the FYPs and how they sought to tackle this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

ConorR32 wrote: »
    Got an A1 in the mocks with little or no work and no real teacher for fifth year. Got 90% (lost marks for not having a conclusion on one essay and a few small things in the document section). Broke myself studying last night, new every date from every case study, could have done all essays from my books, but ****ed myself over with timing. Put weeks of endless work into my RSR. Now I face at best a B2. No contextualisation, didn't finish USSR question, didnt finish cultural identity, but got nigh on 8 pages on LBJ. Absolutely panicked and lost track of time!! Was not myself at all going in. Let that be a lesson to all who are doin History next year! TIMING is everything! You can have a HUGE interest in history and have read widely like I have, but if you can't regurgitate what you need in 2 hours 50 mins, it's all for nought.

I'm probably repeating now, looking for medicine, hoping to be the first EVER doctor from my school, determined this time! And it wont be happening again!

the 8 pages you wrote will go against you too. 3-4 max and move on in future.

• Advertisement

Hmm I don't know, I did the church state relations question. But I'd say you'll still get marks

Oh yer, apart from the Document Q, it was a really good exam. Studied 4 essays, was covered for 6. :p

Oh yer, apart from the Document Q, it was a really good exam. Studied 4 essays, was covered for 6. :p

I didn't really like the Northern Ireland section. I knew Sunningdale well but we'd barely covered the Anglo Irish agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ace_Ace

ally69 wrote: »
    Any one who did the NI question on religious affiliation and cultural identity, what did yous write for it? And what did yous write for the D&D Jarrow as well? Thanks :-)
    For cultural and affiliation i wrote about protestants and catholics in each paragraph, my paragraphs were education housing flags murals organisations (orange order abod) and sport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 123cmcm

Did anyone do the race relations question? what did ye talk about it?

Is it a bad thing to write too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

ConorR32 wrote: »
    Got an A1 in the mocks with little or no work and no real teacher for fifth year. Got 90% (lost marks for not having a conclusion on one essay and a few small things in the document section). Broke myself studying last night, new every date from every case study, could have done all essays from my books, but ****ed myself over with timing. Put weeks of endless work into my RSR. Now I face at best a B2. No contextualisation, didn't finish USSR question, didnt finish cultural identity, but got nigh on 8 pages on LBJ. Absolutely panicked and lost track of time!! Was not myself at all going in. Let that be a lesson to all who are doin History next year! TIMING is everything! You can have a HUGE interest in history and have read widely like I have, but if you can't regurgitate what you need in 2 hours 50 mins, it's all for nought.

I'm probably repeating now, looking for medicine, hoping to be the first EVER doctor from my school, determined this time! And it wont be happening again!

I can relate to you so much although I got a B in the Mocks I was hoping for an A2 or same as my mock but now I think I will be lucky if I get a D I couldn't finish it and I thought the exam was awful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

123cmcm wrote: »
    Is it a bad thing to write too much?

Not necessarily but it's a risk. I normally limited my essays to 5 pages, no more. Other people can only hit 3, it depends on your speed. Writing excessive amounts for one essay and nothing for others can put you at a disadvantage. Remember that at the end of the day the max you can get is 100 marks per essay. The more you write the higher your CM will be but it can never go above 60. 'tis better to write 3 short essays and get 60 in each than one 100 marker and nothing else.

At the end of the day anything over 5/6 pages is a bit excessive in my opinion but they won't punish you for it once you finished everything

Not necessarily but it's a risk. I normally limited my essays to 5 pages, no more. Other people can only hit 3, it depends on your speed. Writing excessive amounts for one essay and nothing for others can put you at a disadvantage. Remember that at the end of the day the max you can get is 100 marks per essay. The more you write the higher your CM will be but it can never go above 60. 'tis better to write 3 short essays and get 60 in each than one 100 marker and nothing else.

At the end of the day anything over 5/6 pages is a bit excessive in my opinion but they won't punish you for it once you finished everything

Well I wrote 8,6 and 4 pages and got everything finished but just don't know if I should have wrote so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

123cmcm wrote: »
    Well I wrote 8,6 and 4 pages and got everything finished but just don't know if I should have wrote so much!

Ask yourself: Was what I wrote relevant and on point? If so, your CM will be good. The ask yourself; Did I answer the question asked? If so, your OE will be good too.

I really can't see them punishing you! You finished everything, I mean that's great! That's half the battle. You might have different handwriting to me, use weird spacing or big words or write faster than I do.

What's done is done, you've finished the exam now so no point in over analyzing things. Keep calm and know that all those 18 pages of hard work will be rewarded come August

Ask yourself: Was what I wrote relevant and on point? If so, your CM will be good. The ask yourself; Did I answer the question asked? If so, your OE will be good too.

I really can't see them punishing you! You finished everything, I mean that's great! That's half the battle. You might have different handwriting to me, use weird spacing or big words or write faster than I do.

What's done is done, you've finished the exam now so no point in over analyzing things. Keep calm and know that all those 18 pages of hard work will be rewarded come August

Ya you're right sure, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 car2626

What were you supposed to answer on for the Soviet Union question?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Bye a1... Got a b1 last year and lucky to get even a b3 this year ... Couldn't stop crying yesterday evening and it totally put me off for business today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wanderlost

plmko wrote: »
    Objective because it was full of facts and showed no emotional reaction which sided with anyone.

B then was subjective as it had no facts only an emotional reaction about suffering etc etc

Couldn't it also have been subjective because he referred to 5,000 of the homeless as sub-human? And it would be impossible for him to know these people personally so wasn't it clearly a subjective point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LC767

which document was more sympathetic to the evacuees?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

wanderlost wrote: »
    Couldn't it also have been subjective because he referred to 5,000 of the homeless as sub-human? And it would be impossible for him to know these people personally so wasn't it clearly a subjective point of view?

For that you could argue that he was just passing on information that civil servants gave him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

LC767 wrote: »
    which document was more sympathetic to the evacuees?

I said the second one because it used more emotive language and referred to them as "poor folk"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Nick_1494 wrote: »
    For that you could argue that he was just passing on information that civil servants gave him.

You could argue both sides tbh. I said that while the first part was objective, he just discussed the figures, the second part described the habits of the 'unbilletables' as 'subhuman', showing a clear distaste of some of the evacuees, making the source subjective. I'd say the marking scheme is open to interpretation as long as you were able to back up either argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

wanderlost wrote: »
    Nick_1494 wrote: »
    a0ifee wrote: »
    I said the second one because it used more emotive language and referred to them as "poor folk"
    You could argue both sides tbh. I said that while the first part was objective, he just discussed the figures, the second part described the habits of the 'unbilletables' as 'subhuman', showing a clear distaste of some of the evacuees, making the source subjective. I'd say the marking scheme is open to interpretation as long as you were able to back up either argument.

No matter what you said if you could anyway at all prove your point then they'll accept it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AKMCD2014

Can't get over how much I phucked up this exam. It was the exam I was hoping to get an A in, and felt extremely confident in getting an A before hand.

I can remember it so clearly, I opened the first page to see the Belfast Blitz as the document. I would have preferred the Treaty (as I suspect most people would have) but I knew I was still able to write a solid answer. I then skipped to the back, the see the moon landings as the US question; I was extremely happy at this point. I then went to Dictatorship and Democracy to see a Soviet Union question which once again had me completely satisfied. Then i turned the page back to see The Sunningdale Agreement in a question with Anglo Irish Agreement.

I left the exam centre with the only worry being not getting full marks in the Northen Ireland question; as I couldn't near to half for the Anglo in comparison to Sunningdale. However, the worst was yet to come. After analysing the paper with a few classmates, I read over the Soviet Union question; and my stomach dropped. I wrote the entire essay on Stalin and his domestic policy from 1924-1945. It was perhaps the most sickening feeling I've ever felt.

At this point, I'd be extremely happy to get a B2; as I feel my project will without doubt bring my grade up.

I am extremely nervous to see my result in August, and won't be able to handle the "what happened? You were meant to get an A" from my teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExpensiveClock

AKMCD2014 wrote: »

I almost made the same mistake but don't worry about it, life goes on, in a year's time you won't care about what happened and I'm sure it won't drastically affect your whole leaving cert!
    car2626 wrote: »
    What were you supposed to answer on for the Soviet Union question?

Well what I answered on was the challenges Stalin faced in turning Russia into a communist superpower so then went into detail on:

Collectivisation (his battle/challenge to control the land)

The Economy (the challenges he faced growing the economy and how he was successful)

The Purges (How this crippled the military and left a great challenge overcoming Germany in the war but also how he faced the challenge of cleansing the current government of old Bolsheviks and Trotskyites)

The Show Trials (In a similar way to the purges how he wanted to eradicate any threats to his power and how he overcame this challenge with the show trials by executing any political enemies)

The War (The challenges he faced quite literally from Germany in a direct way including Barbarossa, Stalingrad, Kursk and how he finally overcame the challenge of defeating Germany at the Battle of Berlin)

That's how I went about it, feel free to critique me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 car2626

I didn't write much on the war but included every thing else will I be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExpensiveClock

car2626 wrote: »
    I didn't write much on the war but included every thing else will I be ok?

I think you should be provided you mentioned the war for about a paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatzLogin

ejayy wrote: »
    Bye a1... Got a b1 last year and lucky to get even a b3 this year ... Couldn't stop crying yesterday evening and it totally put me off for business today :(

Don't worry you'll be okay! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

WhatzLogin wrote: »
    Don't worry you'll be okay! :)

meh .. all my exams went so bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

AKMCD2014 wrote: »
    I am extremely nervous to see my result in August, and won't be able to handle the "what happened? You were meant to get an A" from my teacher.

It's not what your teacher thinks what counts, or what you friends, or what boards, or your parents; seriously, only what you think matters

Advertisement