Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC History 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fionnacake

What impact did the moon landing have on foreign policy? The book I have doesn't cover it :S

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AKMCD2014

Honestly, I would leave Welfare State for now, it came up last year and is alot less likely to appear than Direct Rule/Civil Rights, which hasn't been up in a good while. Have you done anything about Mussolini's rise to power? That could definitely come up instead of internal/external policies. I'd also have a look at Cold War, hasn't been up in a while either. All of the stuff you've learnt could come up, but if you're going for an A, I'd try to have some backups in case they screw you over, especially like they did last year.

Yeah I've studied Mussolini's rise to power and it seems as if it would be a fairly short essay; although very doable! Yeah I think I might substitute the welfare state for direct rule to be honest, but it would still be a very weak third choice for me. What area are you specifically talking about in terms of the Cold War?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

AKMCD2014 wrote: »
    Yeah I've studied Mussolini's rise to power and it seems as if it would be a fairly short essay; although very doable! Yeah I think I might substitute the welfare state for direct rule to be honest, but it would still be a very weak third choice for me. What area are you specifically talking about in terms of the Cold War?

Well his rise to power would include stuff like Treaty of Versailles, aswell as his establishment of Totalitarianism, that lengthens it out quite a bit. Direct rule is a lovely essay, my personal favourite and it's very easy to give plenty of opinion and analysis. By Cold War, I mean Berlin Blockade, Korean War and Cuban Missile Crisis aswell as a minor paragraph on Truman octrine, Marshall Aid and other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shanemac28

HitlerFTW wrote: »
    I think you should do Lenin and Stalin enforcement of communism.. They haven't been up together in a while and D&D is such a broad section..

Ok, thank you! Do you think I'm ok for the other sections?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 HitlerFTW

Shanemac28 wrote: »
    Ok, thank you! Do you think I'm ok for the other sections?

I'm not sure, this is what I'm doing and I'm not even sure about that!
    US: Cold War, Vietnam, LBJ
    D&D: Stalin & Lenin, Mussolini, church state relations & hitler 1939-45 foreign
    NI: Coleraine, O'neill, NICRA

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anyone here has an essay plan for Détente/US foreign policy '73-'89? I'm doing the essay but need about 10 paragraphs including intro and conclusion. I usually put carter and ford together as there isn't much content wise for 2 paragraphs, so should I split Nixon and Reagan up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kb4321

Does anyone here do GOVERNMENT ECONOMY AND SOCIETY for irish history? Any predictions?

For DIVISION AND REALIGNMENT i reckon sovietisation with hungarian uprising or maybe with cold war and or the oil crisis and its impact on europe :)

I wouldnt rule out any documents cause you never know and they only take a few mins to learn :)

Good luck everyone !

Just wondering if anyone here has an essay plan for Détente/US foreign policy '73-'89? I'm doing the essay but need about 10 paragraphs including intro and conclusion. I usually put carter and ford together as there isn't much content wise for 2 paragraphs, so should I split Nixon and Reagan up?

I always try to go chronologically. For this particular essay i start with the withdrawal from Vietnam, Nixon to China, SALT I, Egypt and Siria invasion of Iran, Chile, Ford, Carter, SALT II, Afghanistan invasion, Reagan and space race. A few of these topics would be extremely short paragraphs so I could combine a few. I wouldn't combine Nixon and Reagan; they're basically at polar sides of this chapter.

Also, if you find yourself short on this essay, try and add some information on advancements on technology into the Reagan section!

I always try to go chronologically. For this particular essay i start with the withdrawal from Vietnam, Nixon to China, SALT I, Egypt and Siria invasion of Iran, Chile, Ford, Carter, SALT II, Afghanistan invasion, Reagan and space race. A few of these topics would be extremely short paragraphs so I could combine a few. I wouldn't combine Nixon and Reagan; they're basically at polar sides of this chapter.

Also, if you find yourself short on this essay, try and add some information on advancements on technology into the Reagan section!

Normally I do this, but since Nixon and Reagan are both big enough paragraphs content wise, I was wondering if I should split them up into 2 each? That way I'd have 10 paragraphs which is what's needed, or do people have different layouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭2creator

Does anybody do Ireland 49-89 and if so what do you think will come up? Horrible section imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

You find a sample essay on here -

http://leavingcerthistory.net/

Just check through the drop-down menus in the USA section
    Yeah I've studied Mussolini's rise to power and it seems as if it would be a fairly short essay; although very doable!
    You need to know Mussolini very well to be able to answer a full topic on him alone. Much better when he is included as a dictator in a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 watsupboys

Hi could anyone send me a civil rights movment US essey or at least write what to include in each paragraph. i know i should include the buss boycott which i know very well but what alse. So if anyone have like a plan done out could u please share it with us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 deedeebb

for dictatorship and democracy do you think i'll be covered with:
    Church State Realtions: Italy/Germany
    Nazi State
    Nazi Propaganda
    Mussoilni Propaganda
    Jarrow March.

(trying to avoid stalin/lenin)

You need to know Mussolini very well to be able to answer a full topic on him alone. Much better when he is included as a dictator in a question.

I know an essay on him alone would be rather long and factual, but personally, I always prefer to discuss one dictatorship in detail. Although I am preparing myself for a church state relations question including both Mussolini and Hitler, and perhaps propaganda. Although, if propaganda does come I think it will just be Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

What you guys think, im OL history, is that enough?
    Anglo Irish Treaty
    church-state relations for Mussolini and Hitler
    Nazi propaganda and Hitlers foreign policy + holocaust
    Lenin and Stalin
    Moon landing
    Civil rights movement/ boycott
    Jarrow March
    Heaney?
    5 years plan
    vietnam war
    +key personalities

also in mocks i got 60% but for documents i wrote 1/3 page but it should be at least 1 page?

thansk

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Can somebody tell me if they think I'm covered? any suggestions if not?

Europe: Russia(lenin and stalin), britain(including jarrow march) and nazi propaganda
    Northern Ireland: all three case studies
    America: LBJ and vietnam, race relations(including montgomery bus boycott)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fionnacake

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me if they think I'm covered? any suggestions if not?

Europe: Russia(lenin and stalin), britain(including jarrow march) and nazi propaganda
    Northern Ireland: all three case studies
    America: LBJ and vietnam, race relations(including montgomery bus boycott)

Maybe glance over Mussolini? It's pretty easy to get the basics down for him, I ended up having to answer on him in my mocks because no Russia came up and I got 96 in the essay :O
    also sometimes Vietnam comes up with Korea so again it might be worth glancing over that

• Registered Users Posts: 9 watsupboys

Hi could anyone send me a civil rights movment US essey or at least write what to include in each paragraph. i know i should include the buss boycott which i know very well but what alse. So if anyone have like a plan done out could u please share it with us

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Murky013

Hey guys, I just want to know if I'm set alright for tomorrow

NI: sunningdale+ downing street, civil rights movement, Coleraine and most of Terence O'Neill
    Dictatorship and democracy: Stalin, Mussolini, Weimar republic and Nazi state characteristics
    USA: US foreign policy (all of it) detente, Vietnam and moon landing

Also does anyone know if the treaty is predicted to come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

I'm starting to think the spawn of satan put french and history on the same day. Tomorrow's my hardest day by A LOT. Anybody else nervous for this exam more then the others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Murky013

Yeah man I have French tomorrow too. I'd like to meet the person who thought it was a good idea to slap history and French together so I can slap him silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sprite123

I'm higher level and with my project done and dusted, I feel pretty confident I'll have most my marks in that but I still feel like I don't know enough for the exam. In my particular History class, our teacher pretty much drilled into us to do Ireland topic 2 & 3, and Europe topic 3. And he did the likes of:

Ireland: Anglo-Irish Treaty, Belfast, Eucharistic Congress, Parnell and Home Rule.
    Europe: Civil Rights Movement/Bus Boycott, Vietnam, Mussolini.

(I was going for Hitler, but since reading this thread I think it might be safer to go down the Mussolini route?)

Any suggestions to what to drop/add?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 spacefly123

if Parnell and Home Rule dont come up tomorrow i will take a **** in my exam booklet, seal it, and send it off. Would probably get a higher grade than i would if I wrote anything...

sprite123 wrote: »

(I was going for Hitler, but since reading this thread I think it might be safer to go down the Mussolini route?)

Any suggestions to what to drop/add?

What if Hitler and Mussolini come up as a crossover?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

I think the sec use us as some sort of sacrifice to the sun god.. That's the only way to explain the bs they pull with the timetable. Atleast it isn't on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatzLogin

Anyone got any predictions for the History paper tomorrow?

any would be useful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sprite123

What if Hitler and Mussolini come up as a crossover?

That's also very possible. I suppose I should just keep doing what I'm doing then and reading over both of them. :/

sprite123 wrote: »
    That's also very possible. I suppose I should just keep doing what I'm doing then and reading over both of them. :/

I would know one better than the other, usually everyone has a favourite dictator, oddly enough. Just be prepared if they ask for one, you'll be able to give at least a paragraph on the other, they can't dock you marks for being disproportional as long as you give a paragraph to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Anyone leave out hitler fp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

I didnt do a mussolini essay, ahhhh will i be okay?

Advertisement