Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best website creator for me?

Options
  • 06-06-2014 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Heads up. I am not technical at all.

I would like to create a website for my company, A film production company, using a website builder.

What I need from it:

EASY TO MANAGE - There will be a lot of photos and videos to upload on a regular basis.

MULTIPLE TABS - And preferably tabs with drop down menus.

COMPLETE PACKAGE: Basically pick a template, pay for it and have it include all the bells and whistles of a professional website. I seriously got so confused reading about domains and hosting and all that jargon.

PROFESSIONAL: That you wouldn't know it's from a website builder site. No ads or logos, just all our own material. I'm sure this comes with cost and I'm willing to pay for that.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Links with logo's to our social media sites.

WEB ADDRESS: Our own company name. Also we would really like to use .ie

EMAIL: so for example androl@conpanyname.ie

Would love to hear some recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

squarespace.com business pack may be worth a look, gets good reviews and there is a free trial.

Also, you might be better posting at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

degsie wrote: »
    squarespace.com business pack may be worth a look, gets good reviews and there is a free trial.

Also, you might be better posting at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Cheers man, I'm gonna post over there.
    Do you know much about square space yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Squarespace is OK but if you are going to be uploading a lot of movies and photos you might hit resource limits and have to upgrade your pricing plan to Professional. This plan comes in at $192 per annum which isn't great value compared to getting your own hosting and domain name.

What I would suggest you do is get your domain name and hosting from one on this list: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53028341&postcount=2 Note, discussion and recommendations on hosting aren't generally allowed on boards so that post is the only guidance you can get here on where to host. Then you install WordPress, get a theme which suits for small one-off fee or free. There's loads and loads of video tutorials on how to install and use WordPress and loads of plugins for extra functionality. I've used the free onetone theme which is also responsive (a must these days) for a film production company before.

Note that squarespace do not provide email hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

I recommend you hire somebody to do it, especially when you're looking into email and high bandwidth usage(photos/videos), if you start using your email extensively in advertising and it becomes very important, and then it breaks because you done something wrong, you really have no one to help you fix it and it could end up costing you a bit of money.

There are tonnes of CS students off for the summer that could do with the work, and they will probably do a really good job for cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

If you're not technical at all you'd be better off getting someone to do it for you to be honest. These sites are very limited in what you can do with them, and if you exceed usage limits you will get a nice bill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement