Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The effect of DIT moving to Grangegorman

Options
  • 06-06-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen it discussed anywhere. But what effect will the closure of the various DIT buildings/campuses across Dublin city have on the localities when the Grangegorman campus is complete?

There are dozens of large buildings that I presume will be left vacant - Kevin street, Aungier street, Bolton street, Cathal Bruagh street, and so on.

These areas are already 'bleak' and run down as it is. The exit of the DIT from those areas could worsen the situation. Many businesses rely directly on these campuses and their transference to Grangegorman would mean more closures and empty retail units.

In the absence of something filling in the gap left by the DIT, it could be pretty detrimental for much of the city - bar the North/NorthWest inner city.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I believe Bolton St was sold and will become a Hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I'd like to think that the buildings will be demolished and the sites used to build new offices and decent sized apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

markpb wrote: »
    I'd like to think that the buildings will be demolished and the sites used to build new offices and decent sized apartments.

Plenty of vacant sites as it is for that purpose. And if you look at existing apartment complexes they don't exactly create a booming local economy or any type of atmosphere of activity. Most have vacant retail units below as it is and they seem more like ghost towns than anything. Herberton Apts in Rialto, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Don't we have an oversupply of offices?

But we sure have an undersupply of decent, family-sized apartments. More families mean more people in the locality, unlike single people who will often regard their apartment as somewhere to lay the head. Families make communities.

Our builders need to learn from the continent and make decent sized apartments, not just squeeze as many 1-bedroom apartments as possible into a block.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It'll be great for businesses in Manor St and Phibsborough with the increased footfall. I'd say one big downside is the traffic will be a nightmare when the campus opens though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Augnier Street/Wexford street should be fine. There isn't much on Augnier street anyway and most places on Wexford street will get enough trade from local offices anyway. The pub on the corner will be in big trouble though. Pretty much every other pub on Wexford street gets plenty of other clients but the one on the corner seems to be always students.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

But we sure have an undersupply of decent, family-sized apartments. More families mean more people in the locality, unlike single people who will often regard their apartment as somewhere to lay the head. Families make communities.

Our builders need to learn from the continent and make decent sized apartments, not just squeeze as many 1-bedroom apartments as possible into a block.

we have an under supply of proper office space for multinational companies

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Do you think people will buy apartments in the city for raising a family? Most people I know would want to get out to the traditional residential areas for raising families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I've spoken to a community activist in the Bolton Street area who is definitely concerned about the impact on that part of town.

On the other hand, it might finally turn Smithfield into the hub city planners were hoping it would become.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The Kevin street site is a good size is already 4/5 stories high, if this was demolished it would easily take a purpose built office building for a multinational with parking. Shouldn't be too much trouble with planning given the current height of the building. Also good transport links plenty of buses and Luas terminus a few hundred metros away along with the Luas cross city.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Augnier Street/Wexford street should be fine.
    That stationery shop at the corner will have to close when the students leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

fiachr_a wrote: »
    That stationery shop at the corner will have to close when the students leave.
    Why when Dublin Business School is nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I would say Dublin Business School would be interested in aquiring Aungier street. Bolton Street would most likely revert to it's original hotel use. Mountjoy Square could suit any number of uses. Rathmines will no doubt be snapped up, good location plenty of footfall. Kevin St could probably get the bull dozer in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

cgcsb wrote: »
    I would say Dublin Business School would be interested in aquiring Aungier street. Bolton Street would most likely revert to it's original hotel use. Mountjoy Square could suit any number of uses. Rathmines will no doubt be snapped up, good location plenty of footfall. Kevin St could probably get the bull dozer in fairness.

Dublin Business School will be leasing Aungier St.
    Bolton Street is staying where it is.
    As for the other locations I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is Linenhall staying as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Bolton St. will not be closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I agree with you, in principle, but I think any decent-sized apartments in the city centre (they would have to be 3 or more bed and would have to be well-built) would be fairly expensive. Could be wrong, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think the DIT move to Grangegorman can be a catalyst for the development and improving of many areas in the city.
    I think Stoneybatter, Smithfield, Phibsboro, NCR, will all benefit from the investment footfall, extra bus and luas services.
    It will hasten the development of the BXD line, meaning access to the area from the city centre is swift and regular, and also people coming on the NorthWestern Commuter line to Broombridge getting the Luas to DIT.
    Broadstone, and grangegorman can be put to better use, and also having green areas maintained within the campus can be beneficial to all.

Advertisement