Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much study do you do?

Options
  • 06-06-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Out of interest, how much study have you done per subject? I average on high B's - A's across the board and just do homework every week and from 4-6 hours of study per subject the week before. Does anyone actually do that recommended hour of study a night starting from Christmas at the latest as the exam books suggest?
    I've just always wanted to know, and my friends who all average same sort of B1-A1 standard all do the same as me, so have yet to meet anyone who does it.

(I'm not priding myself on doing under the recommended, but I also work after school and really to be honest finishing homework at 11pm without study was crazy. )
    Roisin,
    xx

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Listening properly in class, asking questions if you don't understand something and keeping your homework up to a good standard is plenty for the JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

I'm probably in the same boat as you to be honest.
    I can't remember the last time I've not done my homework in a subject..seems to help a decent bit.

I actually haven't/didn't study for anything other than History and Science with an hour of Geography a couple of days ago..I had lost all motivation really, still seem to be going along okay so far, though :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

roisiny wrote: »
    Out of interest, how much study have you done per subject? I average on high B's - A's across the board and just do homework every week and from 4-6 hours of study per subject the week before. Does anyone actually do that recommended hour of study a night starting from Christmas at the latest as the exam books suggest?
    I've just always wanted to know, and my friends who all average same sort of B1-A1 standard all do the same as me, so have yet to meet anyone who does it.

(I'm not priding myself on doing under the recommended, but I also work after school and really to be honest finishing homework at 11pm without study was crazy. )
    Roisin,
    xx

Ya I'm the same I haven't really done any extra study outside of the homework. Now I did do about 1 hour a day for the week between the end of school and the start of the JC and I haven't done anything the night before so far only 30 mins before the start of each exam in school. Now I will have to do some maths and history over the weekend but that's it.

Now sadly I do know people who are doing that amount of study. Thankfully I wouldn't call them friends. They have been going into supervised study for like 6hrs a day since before the Christmas house exams and there all slow as well like. They think there so smart but even with all this study there where lucky to get low bs in there pres and probably won't even get 1 a in the JC

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sud1

Wow..fairly nasty..fair play to them for trying and good god why knock them for it!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How anyone else does in their exams, or how much work they need to do, or did do, is really nobody else's concern.

@ComputerKing This is not the forum for slagging people off, particularly people you think might not be as successful as you in exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 JWM12

I have a freakily good memory (usually!) and haven't needed to study a majority of stuff from even the earliest parts of 3rd year, I'm a bit light on second year and 1st year but my recquired revision is smallish for my targets (B's or A's). I just do my homework (Which tbh was fairly plentiful) and I didn't see a need for any more after it. All fairness to my teachers they did it so we didn't have to do so much work.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

spurious wrote: »
    How anyone else does in their exams, or how much work they need to do, or did do, is really nobody else's concern.

This is not the forum for slagging people off, particularly people you think might not be as successful as you in exams.

If this was aimed at me I didn't mean to start a thread about slagging people off. After reading through some posts yesterday and seeing the quality of the answers people got I was wondering how much study they'd put in to get them answers. It was moreso aimed at how much work I need to do in order to get to that level than anything else. I wasn't trying to belittle people because of how much work they do, actually to be honest I wish I had the same willpower as them, bc cramming isn't near as fun as it seems ;)

It's not aimed at you. You started a perfectly valid thread. Someone else came along and made remarks about people who have to study and how they will get lower grades than him/her, calling them 'slow'.

..and people wonder why OL and FL students don't post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭KilianHarrison

I have to agree, lurking around here for a while there is an immense amount of snobbery , and a lot of people with complete superiority complexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adekoon

im a really good student usually A's or B's (some subjects like Irish for example i do bad in) and i studied the night before, in the morning and between the exams. id say i study like 1h the night before, 30-40 mins in the morning and 1h between the tests :)

• Advertisement

Warning for LaLeche for abuse of another poster.
    Please keep it civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

roisiny wrote: »

Roisin,
    xx

Are you doing your JC next year?:) some advice is don't leave study until the last few weeks cause the pressure will be horrible! Even try to write notes on a chapter a night and then when it comes to exams look over them!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

Are you doing your JC next year?:) some advice is don't leave study until the last few weeks cause the pressure will be horrible! Even try to write notes on a chapter a night and then when it comes to exams look over them!:)

Looolll Mrsebeckxo did it this year (finished today woo) I actually didn't find it that bad but do wish I spent that week and a half I had off before the exams working a solid 6-8 hours of study instead of like a broken up 3 . Hope you got on ok :)

Advertisement