Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The NO Late Late Show, NO SNS, All Summer Long Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Heh, the b*llocks from the Karate Kid is in it!

MrsD007 wrote: »
    All the Callans Kicks posts from this evening have been moved to the Callans Kicks Thread ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057245108&page=8

Good. Best place for 'em. :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

That Garth Brooks performance at the press conference doesnt look any more convincing on the second watching.. I found Lance Armstrong to be more sincere tbh..

"I will fly or crawl to meet the prime minister"...

Yeah Garth, I've booked you a ticket... on Malaysian Airlines..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Friday night is saved!

Garth Brooks: What went wrong? is on 3e at ten.

For anyone who hasn't seen it every night this week on tv3.

And if anyone missed it on tv3, RTE also had a programme.
    Garth really is the gift that truly keeps on giving.

(Now please will he, and all associated programmes, just go away)...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ahhhh come here tv it take the mickey at the stage.. clearly they don't mind giving garth brooks 5 nights in a row :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Nathan Carter (me neither) and the Irish one from The Saurdays are talking to Miriam tomorrow.

A good chance to catch up with some friends you haven't seen in a while, methinks.

Or maybe bring the dog for a walk. Grand evenings, this time of year.

Some friends of mine hava a bluegrass band (No, I'm not Pat Kenny.)

They had to drop 'Wagon Wheel' from their set because people started to think they were Nathan Carter fans.

sligojoek wrote: »
    They had to drop 'Wagon Wheel' from their set because people started to think they were Nathan Carter fans.

I used to sing "Wagon Wheel" with the band until people started to think that I was a Hootie And The Blowfish fan..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I used to sing "Wagon Wheel" with the band until people started to think that I was a Hootie And The Blowfish fan..

I used to eat Wagon Wheels but I gave them up, in protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I used to have wagon wheels on my car but I changed them in sympathy with Harry A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I used to eat Wagon Wheels but I gave them up, in protest.
    coolhull wrote: »
    I used to have wagon wheels on my car but I changed them in sympathy with Harry A.

**hums**

I used to have - "One wheel on my wagon and I'm still rollin' along....."

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

As soon as the LLS and SNS head off on their Summer Holidays, the number of posts in the TV Forum drops dramatically :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057249163

Down to no. 16 on the Boards Rankings in June :eek: Support the TV Forum! Post more often! :)

Skid X wrote: »
    As soon as the LLS and SNS head off on their Summer Holidays, the number of posts in the TV Forum drops dramatically :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057249163

Down to no. 16 on the Boards Rankings in June :eek: Support the TV Forum! Post more often! :)

I'm not really sure what that means Skid........:o

I strive to please the TV forum........:p

Where does it rank normally?

That leads to the question, if we're all not giving out about Tubbs, what are we giving out about?

I'm not really sure what that means Skid........:o

I strive to please the TV forum........:p

TV was always considered one of the busiest forums, it should be in the top 10. Niamh has published the latest scores, and TV has dropped down the charts ...

Our busiest forums in terms of posts made in them for June 2014:
    1. After Hours
    2. Soccer
    3. Motors
    4. Cycling
    5. Farming & Forestry
    6. GAA
    7. Gigs & Events
    8. Radio
    9. Bargain Alerts
    10. Football Betting
    11. Puzzles & Quizzes
    12. Leaving Cert
    13. Accommodation & Property
    14. Games
    15. Rugby
    16. Television
    17. Golf
    18. Horse Racing

This does not include any private/hosted forums.

1. After Hours
    2. Soccer
    3. Motors
    4. Cycling
    5. Farming & Forestry
    6. GAA
    7. Gigs & Events
    8. Radio
    9. Bargain Alerts
    10. Football Betting

Yeah Skid, but there was deviation from the norm this month with a lot of posts from farmers who planned on cycling to the Garth Brooks concert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

sligojoek wrote: »
    Some friends of mine hava a bluegrass band (No, I'm not Pat Kenny.)

While there's far worse than Nathan Carter out there, I don't understand once again why all the focus and all the avenues are opened up for him by RTE's chatshows and the like. I can be thankful that the attention given to him has replaced that given to the much worse Mike Denver. But surely all our other singers deserve a break and to get support not just a few selected by the powers that be for a short period and then they are dumped. Look at the feast and famine treatment the powers that be gave to poor old Jedward.

It surprises me that everyone thinks 'Wagon wheel' is a Nathan Carter song. It is not. It is a good song and very few if any good songs originate in modern Irish country music. Instead, 'Wagon wheel' was partially written by Bob Dylan and finished off by Old Crow Medicine Show a bluegrass type group hence it being played by bluegrass bands. Nathan Carter got lucky with it and it took off because the original versions like so much never were marketed here.

All that said and done, Nathan Carter is far from being the worst Irish country act. His material is above average and he does classic old songs like 'Nobody's darling but mine' and 'Break my mind'. He chooses his material better than most of his contemporaries for sure and has included other genres on his albums.

Good Morning everyone. Only 35 more sleeps until the Late Late Show returns

I see there is a long interview with Ryan Tubridy in today's Irish Daily Mail. I don't think its online. Among other things he talks about his Television and Radio work, Pat Kenny and the future of 2FM.

The interviewer, Eoin Murphy, states at one point that "under (Tubridy's) stewardship, the Late Late Show has gone from strength to strength" Has he ever watched the show? :rolleyes:

Here are a few of the main points (about his Television gig)

- He reckon he will be doing the LLS for at least another five years

- He thinks the LLS needs some changes, he's been reading up on Johnny Carson, Michael Parkinson and others to get some tips

- He thinks the Eurosong isn't suited to the LLS and they should broadcast a separate show to find Ireland's Eurovision entry. Presented by Derek Mooney

It might be better for the Eurosong to be spun out of the LLS, but it would be a bad move for the LLS. It's the second biggest show of the year, and the LLS needs more shows which breakaway from the usual Z list/Canteen Guests/Misery penance nights, not less. Last years was epic.

The interviewer, Eoin Murphy, states at one point that "under (Tubridy's) stewardship, the Late Late Show has gone from strength to strength" Has he ever watched the show? :rolleyes:

Kind of reminds me of:

00047916-642.jpg

"Your money is safe. The banks are well capitalized. There is no problem. I'm not a complete g0bsh1te"

I see there is a long interview with Ryan Tubridy in today's Irish Daily Mail. I don't think its online. Among other things he talks about his Television and Radio work, Pat Kenny and the future of 2FM.

- He thinks the LLS needs some changes, he's been reading up on Johnny Carson, Michael Parkinson and others to get some tips

- He thinks the Eurosong isn't suited to the LLS and they should broadcast a separate show to find Ireland's Eurovision entry. Presented by Derek Mooney

It might be better for the Eurosong to be spun out of the LLS, but it would be a bad move for the LLS. It's the second biggest show of the year, and the LLS needs more shows which breakaway from the usual Z list/Canteen Guests/Misery penance nights, not less. Last years was epic.

He was also planning to work on his interviewing skills during the summer, according to an article in the Indo earlier this year. We will see...

Well, if Bertie and Company could delude themselves for years, so can Tubridy.
    Another five years of misery-talk, ridiculous childish games, Twink, and various nobodies flogging books.
    And I thought we're supposed to enjoy middle-age! This only makes me want to try euthanasia. Just once!

• Advertisement

LynnGrace wrote: »
    He was also planning to work on his interviewing skills during the summer, according to an article in the Indo earlier this year. We will see...

It's funny isn't it, because I'm pretty sure that Noel Kelly didn't sell Tubridy to RTE as a trainee at the time he was negotiating terms and conditions.. Maybe next year you will see something next in the top left corner..

6XpJWi.jpg

It's funny isn't it, because I'm pretty sure that Noel Kelly didn't sell Tubridy to RTE as a trainee at the time he was negotiating terms and conditions.. Maybe next year you will see something next in the top left corner..

6XpJWi.jpg

I'd say that's a fairly good bet alright.

Flicked through the Mail interview, in a coffee shop, main impression I got was that he has one heck of an ego.

Once again, there was mention of it being so great to be able to go about in the UK, without the great unwashed coming pestering him like they would here. ( My words, not his...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

6XpJWi.jpg
    L plates are soooooooooooooooooooooo yesterday, County Hurler ;) Tubs will be using his N plate when he returns in September :p

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭jmcc

6XpJWi.jpg
    So given Tubridy's dire radio performance (latest JNLRs) and the slumping TV audience figures, perhaps the 'L' is an indication?

Regards...jmcc

Ladies and Gentlemen, To whom it concerns ... RTE opened audience ticket applications for the 2014/15 Late Late Show series today

http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/tickets.html

It's a random selection but if you would like to go, send in an application. Do come back and tell us how you got on at the show, most people don't bother :(

No word on tickets for The Saturday Night Show yet.

Ah Holy Jesus. Is there anything even half worth watching tonight?

Or will i just get out the Fr Ted box set?

Ah Holy Jesus. Is there anything even half worth watching tonight?

Or will i just get out the Fr Ted box set?

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Terminator 2 on E4 at 9pm if you have them fancy foreign channels.

Is anyone else more than a little disappointed in themself for longing for the return of a show they can barely stand at the best of times?

Maybe I should spend the next few Friday nights looking in the mirror and asking myself if Iike what I see.

Figuratively, i mean. I already know the literal answer. Wink wink etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

If you have access to National Geographic, good series about the decade that was the 90's on now.

Or Callan's Kicks :O :D

• Advertisement

I'm reading a book tonight... So I shall not be contributing.. *ends statement*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

but when a guest asks him if he's nervous, and him in the job years, it's rather telling, is it not? It doesn't suit him.

Been listening to Newstalk more recently, Moncreiff would be far better at it...

tampopo wrote: »
    but when a guest asks him if he's nervous, and him in the job years, it's rather telling, is it not? It doesn't suit him.

Been listening to Newstalk more recently, Moncreiff would be far better at it...
    Or anyone else you care to mention :P

If people on here could choose the next LLS presenter, who would you guys opt for?

Moncrieff gets my vote. I'm on record saying that before.

Failing that, Twink. F*ck it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Or anyone else you care to mention :P

If people on here could choose the next LLS presenter, who would you guys opt for?

Someone we never heard of. Then let him grow into it. That's how it should be.

Moncrieff gets my vote. I'm on record saying that before.

Failing that, Twink. F*ck it.
    Yeah, Moncrieff is very good, but he's not an RTE 'luvvie', so no chance.

Twink, that would be interesting, or Twink with Linda Martin as co-host ;)

Moncrieff can't do live television. It would be a trainwreck.

The biggest problem is the archaic format and the obsession with people who are sick, dying or bereaved.

Edit: well, maybe that's a bit harsh but he had a live chat show on RTE years ago and it was widely perceived as being a mess.

What's wrong with Cancer followed by Jason Byrne's comedy stylings? Come on! Real life agony followed by the finger through the blinds and all the shouting? Ha!

Jesus, do we really want to go back for another season!?

Jesus, do we really want to go back for another season!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-ai9HuR60

• Advertisement

I love your optimism coolhull.....:P

I myself have no doubt unless a UFO lands on Montrose it will be identical to last year and the year before and the year.........

However, hope ye are all having a lovely summer!.....:)

Naturally, being the hopeful little bunnies that we all are, I'm expecting a full house for the first show anyhow!!....:D

"How does that make you feel?".....:p

The last weekend for this thread!

:D

Watching 'Fleadh Cheoil' for Aiobhinn...er, I mean, the great music :O

:)

The last weekend for this thread!

:D

Watching 'Fleadh Cheoil' for Aiobhinn...er, I mean, the great music :O

:)

Our last Friday night of freedom, CH. Lets not waste it by just looking at pretty girls. We can do that anytime ;)

Has anybody else put up the

WELCOME BACK RYAN

posters in celebration of the return of Tubridy and The Late Late Show

No, me neither..

Can't view Electric Picnic on the RTE Player...boo-urns! :(

Ah well, highlights of the Rewind Festival 2014 on Sky Arts...with Bonnie Tyler :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Has anybody else put up the

WELCOME BACK RYAN

posters in celebration of the return of Tubridy and The Late Late Show

No, me neither..

Next Friday, we will be in the land of Tubridy and it will be the first sign of winter's approach. Recently, I have tended to watch less and less of it. This year, we can expect the same questions, the same guests and the same lame attempts at humour. Embarrassing moments like stupid songs played by the band for guests and also the odd inappropriate interview by Tubridy where he upsets or freaks out a guest.

The LLS got 100% positive praise on the TV part of the independent magazine today. Statements like expect the top music guests on the planet, etc. This is a hint that Tubridy is actually going to be the first to interview Elvis in January when he comes out of his faked death retirement for his 80th birthday. All Elvis fans put Friday 9th January 2015 in their diaries!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

The LLS got 100% positive praise on the TV part of the independent magazine today. Statements like expect the top music guests on the planet, etc.

Quelle surprise. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

What are we watching?

efb wrote: »
    What are we watching?

Holly Johnson on Sky Arts 1 singing Mike Read's favourite song

I dont have that channel... What is Mike Read's favourite song... Americanos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Remember my previous "Sky Arts la Di. Da" comment...

Watching QI

• Advertisement
Advertisement