Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operation Sanity...

• 06-06-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

So having had a bike for a while now it has been a royal pain in the ass getting it in and out of the back garden, especially when its wet out. Having a dog out the back aswell the whole place was a sludge fest. Wheels covered in muck getting the bike in and out. Having to keep the bike outside even with a ground anchor was a worry also. Not to mention even when covered the chain getting hammered by the elements etc.....so I had a plan. ;)

I removed about 25 ton of earth and threw it to the back of the garden, then I dug down about 8 inches and laid 804 hardcore.

vp8fn9.jpg

Side of the house along with the back was totally gutted of all grass. I had one inch spare to get the 3 ton digger around the back of the house!!!

2guy001.jpg

Then a wall had to be built along with a gully to accept the water flowing towards the house from the uneven garden...

k9yl4z.jpg

Next up was the concrete.....

2n7jyic.jpg

16h845g.jpg

Finally the final piece.....

242adxd.jpg

r1xts9.jpg

2q32ex0.jpg

x58p00.jpg

Still have to rotovate the muck and plant the grass seed and all that jazz. Side wall at the side gate to be built and bobs your uncle, all done with the help of bikers off this very site. Big thanx to all that chipped in and helped....very much appreciated. Need ideas now for the perfect bike shed.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

All I can say to that is... I love your wellingtons
    First pic!
    that and really nice job there, good on to all that helped you as well. That's a big job, and even a little help makes it so much easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

And all just to get the bike in and out easier. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

Looks very well! Wish I had that much room in my back garden! My problem is the side of my house is so narrow the bike can't fit up the side anyway!!

I'm currently looking at changing my front drive at the mo and would appreciate any advice on the following.
    My driveway is upwards sloping to my house and it's paved with cobblestones. Is there anything I can do to make it a after for my bike parked on it - basically bike is parked on a slope!!

• Site Banned Posts: 62 ✭✭Rainwaterman

Looks very well.Before installing the garage you should have replaced the broken wooden fence panels or replaced them with concrete fence panels.
    Are you going to render the walls with a coloured render and then make some nice raised flowerbeds at the back of the garden?
    Would make for something nice and colourfull to look at from the back windows of the house.

Just looking at the pictures again.
    Is that back retaining wall even mortared into place or have you just stacked the 4 inch solids ontop of each other on their sides??
    Thats not good to leave it like that because when the soil gets wet,heaves and swells it will push out those blocks over time.

I would do more than just scatter grass seed.You have a nice patch of raised garden there that is calling out for somthing more special and interesting than just plain old grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

AD! wrote: »
    Looks very well! Wish I had that much room in my back garden! My problem is the side of my house is so narrow the bike can't fit up the side anyway!!

I'm currently looking at changing my front drive at the mo and would appreciate any advice on the following.
    My driveway is upwards sloping to my house and it's paved with cobblestones. Is there anything I can do to make it a after for my bike parked on it - basically bike is parked on a slope!!

I'm in the same boat myself, have to get the wall the gate is attached to shortened before I can do anything really.

Your question isn't clear though, I think you might have missed a word somewhere int he last sentence :)

• Advertisement

AD! wrote: »

You could cut a shelf into the sloping driveway.This is how landscapers do gardens on sloping sites and this gives a flat level area or areas to the sloping site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Looks very well.Before installing the garage you should have replaced the broken wooden fence panels or replaced them with concrete fence panels.
    Are you going to render the walls with a coloured render and then make some nice raised flowerbeds at the back of the garden?
    Would make for something nice and colourfull to look at from the back windows of the house.

Just looking at the pictures again.
    Is that back retaining wall even mortared into place or have you just stacked the 4 inch solids ontop of each other on their sides??
    Thats not good to leave it like that because when the soil gets wet,heaves and swells it will push out those blocks over time.

I would do more than just scatter grass seed.You have a nice patch of raised garden there that is calling out for somthing more special and interesting than just plain old grass.

Panels are getting replaced from neighbours side, it is indeed a drywall (no mortar) and its as solid as they come. I am leaving it like that short term as I am getting steps mid way recessed into the wall. Work in progress TBH, as for a nice landscaped garden the money pot is empty for the time being.

And all just to get the bike in and out easier. Lol

No, the back garden was totally destroyed it was a means to an end. It was getting concreted any way just not as much and not with a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

Sorry that last sentence should say to make it a bit safer for the bike! My fear is when the ice is back that this could cause the bike to slide or fall!!

I might enquire about getting an area levelled for the bike. Thanks lads

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Panels are getting replaced from neighbours side, it is indeed a drywall (no mortar) and its as solid as they come. I am leaving it like that short term as I am getting steps mid way recessed into the wall. Work in progress TBH, as for a nice landscaped garden the money pot is empty for the time being.
    You would be surprised how much ground swell from wet and drying out can affect and move a dry wall.It does it to solid structures easily enough if foundations are not deep and wide enough.But if you are happy then thats all that matters.
    If you shop around in the garden centres and nurseries then you will get good deals on "end of season" plants shrubs and trees.
    Also by taking various plant cuttings and propogating them yourself will save you a fortune and give some lovely colour and contrast in the garden when they are big enough for transplanting to the garden.

I would also look into getting a zone of your existing house alarm extended out to your garage or getting a small stand alone alarm system on your new garage.
    You can zone the sensor or PIR on the garage so that it will be activated and the garage will be alarmed while your are in your house at night time,but your actual house alarm wont be activated.

• Advertisement

Can I ask which way the new concrete falls?
    As in what direction you built in the fall when laying and finishing the concrete?
    I dont see any rain gullys installed so I hope water wont pond over by the metal garage and make its way into it.

You would be surprised how much ground swell from wet and drying out can affect and move a dry wall.It does it to solid structures easily enough if foundations are not deep and wide enough.But if you are happy then thats all that matters.
    If you shop around in the garden centres and nurseries then you will get good deals on "end of season" plants shrubs and trees.
    Also by taking various plant cuttings and propogating them yourself will save you a fortune and give some lovely colour and contrast in the garden when they are big enough for transplanting to the garden.

I would also look into getting a zone of your existing house alarm extended out to your garage or getting a small stand alone alarm system on your new garage.
    You can zone the sensor or PIR on the garage so that it will be activated and the garage will be alarmed while your are in your house at night time,but your actual house alarm wont be activated.

Yep, I will let the missus colour up the garden and the neighbour is a sparks he is installing the electricity and the alarm in the next day or so.

Yep, I will let the missus colour up the garden and the neighbour is a sparks he is installing the electricity and the alarm in the next day or so.

10 sq 3 core SWA at least and a seperate IP rated consumer board.10 sq 3 core SWA gives you a light,2-3 double sockets,power for a seperate alarm and also for use of the likes of a welder or any powerfull machines in the future.You will also want a 60 amp mains fuse/rcbo installed in the garage consumer board so the power can be completely isolated there if it ever needs to be.
    Use 2.5 square nymj inside the garage for the sockets and 1.5 square nymj for the light.Also use some 20mm galvanized conduit for the socket locations and light switch inside the garage.The conduit will protect the wires in the vent of any impact from a hammer or if cutting and grinding or welding inside the garage.Also use the likes of MK metal backboxes and metal socket/switch plates for inside the garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nice.

There was already a pretty big shed here when we moved in, problem is there is a DPC in the walls but apparently not in the floor slab, so it gets damp especially in the winter. Any suggestions (short of consawing out the whole floor and laying a new one :rolleyes: )

Can't really raise the floor level up more than 5cm or so as it's a bit higher than the surroundings as it is and the paving outside is getting a dip in it from the bike boucing over that.

Any chance with a sealant? or even - heavy lino??? it's really only the rear half of the shed floor that gets damp, it's not flooding, but it does tend to accelerate corrosion / mould on stuff left in the shed :(

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Nice.

There was already a pretty big shed here when we moved in, problem is there is a DPC in the walls but apparently not in the floor slab, so it gets damp especially in the winter. Any suggestions (short of consawing out the whole floor and laying a new one :rolleyes: )

Can't really raise the floor level up more than 5cm or so as it's a bit higher than the surroundings as it is and the paving outside is getting a dip in it from the bike boucing over that.

Any chance with a sealant? or even - heavy lino??? it's really only the rear half of the shed floor that gets damp, it's not flooding, but it does tend to accelerate corrosion / mould on stuff left in the shed :(

No idea what the best course of action there is mate, what about that rubber sealant paint you can buy in red or black. That would surely keep the damp at bay.

I laid the highest DPC course I could find on top of the hardcare and put down at least 6 inches of concrete over it. I have another roll of DPC here and that is going down again in the finished base and then the 2 inch skreed is going in to seal the frame around the edges and have the floor completely level inside. You just use the frame on the inside as a leveling guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

An absolute great job. Shed looks a decent size and it looks to be great quality. I will be up tomorrow to check out the latest developments.

There was a thread on here a while ago about " a bikers garden" there was a few ideas of flowers etc in that. A few tulips to impress the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just an idea for you Wonda,
    I got my shed wired up recently and the the electrician put the wiring for the sockets inside the frame.
    Really neat job!
    photo_zpsb41f81ab.png

blade1 wrote: »
    Just an idea for you Wonda,
    I got my shed wired up recently and the the electrician put the wiring for the sockets inside the frame.
    Really neat job!
    photo_zpsb41f81ab.png

Yes, Yes Yes. Great idea.....thanx a million. Will say it to him when he comes over. Anymore biker ideas, keep them coming.

Cheers

Get the electrician to place the sockets about 1200mm meters in height up off the ground.I would install at least 3-4 double sockets at various intervals around the garage.That allows you to install a workbench or worktop or 2 into the garage and the sockets will still be above them,which is nice handy for doing any work at the bench.Easy and uncluttered access to all the sockets is what you want.
    Placing several sockets at various locations around the garage also alows you future scope and vision for the exact layout of your garage and where you might like to place the bike and benches and any tools and equipement that you will be using.
    You are also futureproofing for any future garage layout changes in months and years to come.

Id also get the sparks to wire for and install an external PIR floodlight or bulkhead light over the doors of the garage,Id got for a Steinel LED PIR floodlight so that the area is lit up when you come in on the bike at night or if any intruders try to approach the garage at night.I wired my own garage for this situation.I fitted a stand alone Steinel PIR that operates 2 seperate up/down wall wash lights on either side of the garage door.

• Advertisement

Id also get the sparks to wire for and install an external PIR floodlight or bulkhead light over the doors of the garage,Id got for a Steinel LED PIR floodlight so that the area is lit up when you come in on the bike at night or if any intruders try to approach the garage at night.I wired my own garage for this situation.I fitted a stand alone Steinel PIR that operates 2 seperate up/down wall wash lights on either side of the garage door.

Any links for this system, I already have a PIR flood light on the way to the right that takes in the area of the garage. But I would not mind getting another one for above it alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Nice job...one thing though...i'd move the shed away from the wall a foot.....my neighbour did the same as you have and when it rained our (the wifeys) flowerbed was flooded by the litres of water coming off their roof over the wall.....i asked him to move it back, and he did.......just a thought..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It would be easier to put a gutter in than to move the shed!

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Looks great fair play Wonda!

ninja900 wrote: »
    It would be easier to put a gutter in than to move the shed!

Do ya think..!!!!...:)

Any links for this system, I already have a PIR flood light on the way to the right that takes in the area of the garage. But I would not mind getting another one for above it alright.
    Im not able to post links or pictures yet as Im a newbie.How long do I have to wait till I can post a link or picture??
    If you go to an electrical wholesalers then they will have Steinel PIR floodlights and Steinel standalone PIRs and wall lights in stock.
    I wired my own house and garage.I installed a standalone Steinel PIR 3 meters up on the wall and then installed to up/down wall washer lights.I bought the lights in B&Q during a 20% off weekend as they worked out cheaper there than the wholesalers price.
    Steinel is more expensive than a Robus PIR or Luxomat PIR but Steinel is much better make and has a much better range.Steinel also can be set so that a dog or cat doesnt keep setting it off at night.

I would also look at installing a 1000 litre IBC tank in behind your garage and collect the rainwater off the roof space of your garage.I would install it up about 2 feet off the ground so that gravity gives you a good flow of water from it out thriugh the garden hose.
    You can then use this water for free to water the garden or wash the bike/bikes and /or car too.You will pick up a 1000 litre IBC tank and frame for 60 euro at the moment.
    Also I would dig out a 450 x 450mm square or 2 of the concrete along the boundary walls and dig in some compost and manure mix.Then plant some nice climbers like jasmine,ivy or clematis.An everygreen hydrangea would look lovely on them walls.
    These will spread up and accross the walls and bring some nice colour and greenery to break up the bland wall and concrete space.The climbers will also tie in well with the new garage.

.Steinel also can be set so that a dog or cat doesnt keep setting it off at night.

Not much use then if its a cat burglar....................:p

Not much use then if its a cat burglar....................:p
    haha good one.lol

• Advertisement

I would also look at installing a 1000 litre IBC tank in behind your garage and collect the rainwater off the roof space of your garage.I would install it up about 2 feet off the ground so that gravity gives you a good flow of water from it out thriugh the garden hose.
    You can then use this water for free to water the garden or wash the bike/bikes and /or car too.You will pick up a 1000 litre IBC tank and frame for 60 euro at the moment.
    Also I would dig out a 450 x 450mm square or 2 of the concrete along the boundary walls and dig in some compost and manure mix.Then plant some nice climbers like jasmine,ivy or clematis.An everygreen hydrangea would look lovely on them walls.
    These will spread up and accross the walls and bring some nice colour and greenery to break up the bland wall and concrete space.The climbers will also tie in well with the new garage.

Ahhh here are you DIARMUID GAVIN or some **** :P .....I am a BIKER not Tommy Walsh.

How much do you charge for your services.....jasmine plants indeed LMAO.

Advertisement