Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

I haven't started yet either but I have all day tomorrow off and Tuesday morning so be grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

I actually like doing out a few papers and marking myself to see how I do :P That way I know the marking schemes as well so I kind of know what they're looking for and have a fair idea of marks going for the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 22 peanut.lover22

Anyone know what experiments are rumoured to come up or at least important ones to know? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

ejayy wrote: »
    I haven't started yet either but I have all day tomorrow off and Tuesday morning so be grand :D

I have full day tomorrow and I have a Tuesday morning exam, I'm definitely failing biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

Anyone have any tips of how to learn off Respiration? it's the only chapter I get very stuck on, I think it's to do with ATP and NADP & light/dark stages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ita1995

Anyone have any tips or predictions for the experiments?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Saxo wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips of how to learn off Respiration? it's the only chapter I get very stuck on, I think it's to do with ATP and NADP & light/dark stages?

I just repeatedly draw out the first and second stage. Its a lot easier if you can visually see what's happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

how do you have all day tomorrow off ?
    Maths paper 2

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I think firstly it's important to recognise the differences between photosynthesis and Respiration. There in no light/dark stage in respiration and NADP+ is the carrier in photosynthesis. NAD+ is the one for respiration.

I'd say use the diagrams and know the steps involved in each stage. Or just practice with exam q's as they are very repetitive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

how do you have all day tomorrow off ?
    Maths paper 2

I'm a repeat :) don't do English , Irish or maths :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Ok well firstly, NADP and light/dark stages are Photosynthesis!

Quick trick for remembering the electron/hydrogen carriers:
    In Respiration its NAD
    In Photosynthesis its NADP

In respiration NAD combines with electrons and protons/hydrogen (Protons are essentially hydrogen) to form NADH
    ADP (Adenosine Diphosphate) combines with a Phosphate to form a high energy bond and the molecule ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate)

So, in respiration NAD/NADH is said to be a hydrogen/electron (and energy) carrier, and ADP/ATP is an energy carrier

Basic breakdown of respiration would be:

Glycolysis
    Krebs Cycle
    Electron Transport Chain

The main molecules are Glucose -> Pyruvate -> Acetyl CoA -> CO2

Learn the products, location and output of each stage and you should be set :)

I think firstly it's important to recognise the differences between photosynthesis and Respiration. There in no light/dark stage in respiration and NADP+ is the carrier in photosynthesis. NAD+ is the one for respiration.

I'd say use the diagrams and know the steps involved in each stage. Or just practice with exam q's as they are very repetitive :)

Wow really? my teacher sort of threw the whole lot in together, and we never got exam papers. :/
    my teacher sucks. every year before us has said it, not making excuses but yeah.. would I be okay learning units 1 & 2 ? I have unit 1 learned and plan on starting unit 2 today

I'm a repeat :) don't do English , Irish or maths :)
    Ahhh lucky.

aleatorio wrote: »
    Ok well firstly, NADP and light/dark stages are Photosynthesis!

Quick trick for remembering the electron/hydrogen carriers:
    In Respiration its NAD
    In Photosynthesis its NADP

In respiration NAD combines with electrons and protons/hydrogen (Protons are essentially hydrogen) to form NADH
    ADP (Adenosine Diphosphate) combines with a Phosphate to form a high energy bond and the molecule ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate)

So, in respiration NAD/NADH is said to be a hydrogen/electron (and energy) carrier, and ADP/ATP is an energy carrier

Basic breakdown of respiration would be:

Glycolysis
    Krebs Cycle
    Electron Transport Chain

The main molecules are Glucose -> Pyruvate -> Acetyl CoA -> CO2

Learn the products, location and output of each stage and you should be set :)

Thank you! explained it perfectly :) it's starting to make sense already :p we have the really old thick textbook and it's kinda bad for these chapters! a lot of stuff in it that doesn't really need to be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 2014lchelp

light/dark stage is in photosynthesis........

Thank you! explained it perfectly :) it's starting to make sense already :p we have the really old thick textbook and it's kinda bad for these chapters! a lot of stuff in it that doesn't really need to be known.

Biology is my best subject so if you want me to go into more detail about anything I'm happy to help, good revision for me too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 2014lchelp

Literally done every exam paper ever in biology the questions are all the same!!!!!!!

Biology is my best subject so if you want me to go into more detail about anything I'm happy to help, good revision for me too :rolleyes:

It used to be my best subject, got 34% in the pre's so now I'm beginning to think otherwise :o we've only covered 4 experiments this year, 4!! enzymes are a b**** :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tsire

Could you try explain the enzyme immobilisation experiment? I can never remember anything for that - only if that's something you feel like revising though! :)

tsire wrote: »
    Could you try explain the enzyme immobilisation experiment? I can never remember anything for that - only if that's something you feel like revising though! :)

Ok :D

So basically the point of it is to fix the enzyme in an inert material, gel or to eachother in order to allow the product to be purified easier and to allow the enzymes to be reused.

The main parts to remember are:

Sodium Alginate - This is the substance you mix the enzyme with as a liquid, it's what forms the gel
    Calcium Chloride - This hardens the 'blobs' of sodium alginate+enzyme into solid beads

The enzyme (that I used anyway) is yeast, which acts on sucrose to form glucose

So the reaction that this immobilised yeast carries out when being used is Sucrose ---> Glucose

You mix the yeast and sodium alginate, and use a syringe to pump a steady stream of the mix into the calcium chloride, where the beads harden.
    Stir the beads to prevent them sticking to each other.
    Rinse with distilled water to remove any excess calcium chloride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

If anyone feels like doing some more revision on this.. cough cough aleatorio :o

The IAA experiment would be great.. :pac: I know what happens, but I have such difficulty writing it down for some reason :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BunchOfDna

So I Think The following have a good chance of coming up this year:

*DNA/RNA
    *IAA Exp.
    *Production of alcohol by yeast
    *Lymph system

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cherrytea

What are the topics that come up every year on Biology please??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The topics which are hardest and most boring appear regularly, genetics, plant reproduction, photosyhtesis and respiration :(

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

Could someone please give me some advice/tips on how to do do genetic crosses? I really have no clue! Please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 peanut.lover22

Can anyone tell me about the lymph system? I was sick when it was covered in class and need a crash course in it please!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

2014lchelp wrote: »
    Literally done every exam paper ever in biology the questions are all the same!!!!!!!

Pretty much yeah, but I noticed each year they make the exam slightly easier. For example if you compare the 2009 one with 2004, the 2009 is much easier, and if you compare 2013 to 2009, then 2013 is easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 murrrve

Please does anybody have biology predictions ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Can anyone tell me about the lymph system? I was sick when it was covered in class and need a crash course in it please!!!! :)

Ok so basically the lymphatic system (I) absorbs and transports fats in digestive system (ii) it collects and returns tissue fluid to the blood to subclavian vein via thoracic duct and right lymphatic duct (iii) it fights infections by filtering out harmful micro organisms, maturing and storing lymphocytes and engulfing micro organisms and producing antibodies via white blood cells . That's basically it but there's more detail as to how lymph is made etc

• Advertisement

K6Y wrote: »
    Pretty much yeah, but I noticed each year they make the exam slightly easier. For example if you compare the 2009 one with 2004, the 2009 is much easier, and if you compare 2013 to 2009, then 2013 is easier.

That could be because there is a new examiner writing the exam. Different style/Phrasing of questions... Who knows, could work to are advantage all i want is a C3:):):)

Advertisement