Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parents arrested over child (11) who weighs 15-stone

• 06-06-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

I cant believe there isnt any PE class in more schools. Something that needs to change soon. Alot of people my age, mid 20's that i know are taking fitness some what serious.

here are few classic lines from the article
    The boy’s 43-year-old mother, who is unemployed, told the newspaper: “The idea they could take away my son scares me so much, I’m nothing without my kids.

“His weight isn’t that much of a big deal. I’m chubby and the whole of my husband’s side of the family is big. It’s genetics - you can be genetically fat.”

The family are believed to have placed the boy on a strict diet and said they encourage him to keep an active lifestyle by playing video games on the Nintendo Wii.

“He’s always been big,” his father said. “He was born with shovels for hands and spades for feet. Everyone on my side of the family is big. There’s nothing we can do about it.

“Our son’s favourite snack is steamed broccoli - and he’s still big.”

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/parents-arrested-over-child-11-who-weighs-15stone-30334091.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

I was under the impression that all primary and secondary schools had at least 1hr of pe class a week. But some of the things in that article like you can be genetically fat is absolutely hilarious.

PE classes aren't going to do much if the diet is very bad, and for 15 stone, it probably is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

bluewolf wrote: »
    PE classes aren't going to do much if the diet is very bad, and for 15 stone, it probably is

Ya I'd agree with that too but would peer pressure and bullying not even force to child into shape I know it sound horrific but still.

Not if they genuinely don't know what is a good diet and what isn't and their family are constantly reinforcing that it's okay

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

I was under the impression that all primary and secondary schools had at least 1hr of pe class a week. But some of the things in that article like you can be genetically fat is absolutely hilarious.

some schools do have 'PE' which includes a ball and tell the lads to have a game. usually the girls site around etc.

how many schools have fitness tests where PE teacher is taking results, not many i would guess. also if students are in need to pass fitness tests they will get more interested in what they should eat and shouldnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

It's all down to eating. When you're a kid and want your fix, there are plenty of ways to get food without your parents knowing.

I was 109kg when I was 10/11 so is know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

'Genetics' reminded me of this

dormthumb.php?w=500&src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dormstormer.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F09%2Fand-this-is-where-i-keep-my-genetics.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Our son’s favourite snack is steamed broccoli - and he’s still big

Well so much for you can't eat enough brocolli to get fat. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Anyone ever see the documentary Channel 4 did similar to this story? Half Ton Son it was called. The kid was basically morbidly obese all his life and his parents just kept feeding him. Clip here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S30ooGg65E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

The parents sound like uneducated benefit street folks. I though I heard on the radio discussion the kid has autism? It must be hard for the parents if this is the case. Sad affair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

sure school dinners in the UK are muck

I'm glad very few schools here have them
    (parents have to take some responsibility for the food their kids eat

Advertisement