Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Neighbours....

Options
  • 06-06-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭

This may not be the right forum so apologies if so.

Recently got new neighbours as in last Monday. It's a semi detached house and we are on the attached side. Since Monday they have been visited by the Garda 4 times, for screaming at each other and tonight for a brawl outside in the driveway which took 5 gardai in 2 cars to break up.

Now we are renting so we can obviously pack up but we've been here for a couple of years and like it here so what can happen here can the landlord have them removed or what should my course of action be? It's come to the stage where my wife is frightened to go out to her car in the driveway

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Contact their landlord immediately. Document everything. Get back up from other neighbours. Tenants are not responsible for their own behaviour under the laws here. All of the burdens fall on their landlord. If he does not deal with the issue you can file a complaint against him to the PRTB. I had similar tenants before and it can be extremely difficult to get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭slingerz

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Contact their lanlord immediately. Document everything. Get back up from other neighbours. Tenants are not responsible for their own behaviour under the laws here. All of the burdens fall on their landlord. If he does not deal with the issue you can file a complaint against him to the PRTB. I had similar tenants before and it can be extremely difficult to get rid of them

Cheers for the response I will have to get started on that today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Would you not contact your own landlord first? That's who you have the relationship with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No Pants wrote: »
    Would you not contact your own landlord first? That's who you have the relationship with.

For what exactly? Genuine question

For what exactly? Genuine question
    Because you're not getting the peaceful enjoyment of the property that you're paying him money for.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I'm a little bit lost here. What is the OPs landlord meant to do about that? He has no control over a separate house? He could advise the OP the same way as anyone here could but I doubt there is anything else he could do. As he is not affected I doubt a complaint to the PRTB from him would gain any traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ManofStan

Nobody wife's should be frightened to go out to her car in the driveway. Wrong wrong wrong. HPMF!

ManofStan wrote: »
    Nobody wife's should be frightened to go out to her car in the driveway. Wrong wrong wrong. HPMF!
    His landlord deals with the other houses landlord. That's the communication chain I would use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

His landlord deals with the other houses landlord. That's the communication chain I would use.
    No, that is not how it works. His landlord may have no issue with the other house and the tenant is responsible for their own interactions with other people in the area.

I cannot even see how that would work. How would they even be able to communicate? I dunno, the law definitely treats tenants like children where the landlord is to blame for all of their bad behaviour but you are advocating removing any responsibility from any tenant anywhere. Interesting opinion:)

• Advertisement

I cannot even see how that would work. How would they even be able to communicate? I dunno, the law definitely treats tenants like children where the landlord is to blame for all of their bad behaviour but you are advocating removing any responsibility from any tenant anywhere. Interesting opinion:)
    I'm not, but the landlord is more likely to know their landlord than the OP. This might be useful:

http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/3rd-party-applications/guide-to-third-party-dispute-applications

I'm not, but the landlord is more likely to know their landlord than the OP. This might be useful:

http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/3rd-party-applications/guide-to-third-party-dispute-applications

I don't agree that the landlord is more likely to know the other landlord. Maybe if both previously lived at the respective properties or were both members of a management company but that would be very unusual. Otherwise I can't see any reason that they would even know each others name but as I said interesting opinions :)

The link you provided just suggests what has already been advised in the thread which is address it with the neighbours, then neighbours LL and then PRTB. Which is pretty sound advice imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Because you're not getting the peaceful enjoyment of the property that you're paying him money for.

That's not what the legal requirement for "quiet enjoyment" means - it has nothing to do with noise but a covenant from the landlord not to seek to enter the property or deny the tenant the use of it. Seriously, a landlord is not in a position to regulate the behaviour of neigbours.

By all means notify the landlord and establish whether they have a relationship with the owner of the neighbouring house but amything else - including reporting the landlord of the neighbouring house to the PRTB if he fails to deal with serious anti social behaviour is an issue for the resident not the owner. Apart from anything else a landlord cannot give first hand accounts of the behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭slingerz

This is resolved without any involvement from me. They had an 8 man brawl out the driveway Friday evening which needed multiple gardai to intervene. Following morning their landlady gave them their marching orders

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

slingerz wrote: »
    This is resolved without any involvement from me. They had an 8 man brawl out the driveway Friday evening which needed multiple gardai to intervene. Following morning their landlady gave them their marching orders

Happy days

Good result.

slingerz wrote: »

Happy days

Good to hear:)

Watch out everyone if there is a house near you available for rent at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I had a similar problem a while back. The owner of the property leased it to the health board and they moved a family of undesirables into it. I got in contact with the landlord who had moved to Dublin and she suggested I should make friend with these people and told me take it up with the health board. I did this and the lady there asked me was I a racist that they had to live some where I suggested maybe next to her. After a year of no sleep Garda calling around because of fighting I had to move lucky I could. But lots of people are stuck there with Neg equity and can't now move.

Advertisement