Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert PHYSICS 2014 ***

• 06-06-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭

Feeling pretty confident about it. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are. what do you think will feature and the likes.
    And who IS NOT covering electricity at all? Im not but I'm pretty competent on the other questions
    Banking of 3 non electricity experiments
    Q.6 Mechanics
    Q.7 Heat/Waves/Sound etc...
    Q.10 Particle physics
    Q.12
    Then i have questions 8,9,11 and 5 and more than likely will be able to answer 3/5.
    What are peoples thoughts? I would be able to answer every exam to date with my current setup including mocks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Why would you not do electricity? It's magical! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm semiconductors <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

I'm leaving out mechanics. Havnt touched physics in the last two weeks so I'm gonna start back at it again today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Ive done mechanics but Hate it and they can throw you off more with them. So Im just doing my electricity and Modern physics and all the expt and hopefully Ill come out with a C :) Im really behind in studying for it though Not gonna start cramming it till tues

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

The electricity experiments are so easy to learn. I hate electricity in general but the experiments are really simple, and joules law/resitivity of a wire are tipped to come up this year so you only really need to know 2 to be guaranteed any experiment

The electricity experiments are so easy to learn. I hate electricity in general but the experiments are really simple, and joules law/resitivity of a wire are tipped to come up this year so you only really need to know 2 to be guaranteed any experiment

But isnt there loads of electricity expt?

• Advertisement

Theres joules law, resitivity of a wire and 4 other experiments which are basically the same.
    Those experiments have come up the last 3-4 years whereas Joules Law and resitivity of a wire haven't come up in a good number of years.
    Thinking about it now, wouldn't be surprised if they both came up.
    But I do really recommend learning those 2 electricity experiments cause they are very likely to come up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

em induction
    Cpacitance
    Cathode/ x ray
    resisitivity
    Frequency of string
    Law of lever
    Heat Exps
    G by freefall
    Joules heat law

is what the teacher reckoned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

what does every one thing will come up in section A and section B and what is everyone studying ?

There's like ten but five of those are very similar with the same diagram and means of operation :)

Personally, anything from modern physics!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I LOVE (strictly speaking, loved) Planetary Motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

I really enjoy residence , static electricity potential difference electromotive force etc ! Also love electron and what not!

However I am extremely not looking forward to this exam :/

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Resistance

Theres joules law, resitivity of a wire and 4 other experiments which are basically the same.
    Those experiments have come up the last 3-4 years whereas Joules Law and resitivity of a wire haven't come up in a good number of years.
    Thinking about it now, wouldn't be surprised if they both came up.
    But I do really recommend learning those 2 electricity experiments cause they are very likely to come up

Oh Ok tyvm Ill look over them... and I think electricity experiments always come up as Q4 on the expt every year so I doubt it would be double electricity experiment

plmko wrote: »
    Personally, anything from modern physics!

I like Them too they cant change it alot.. But Once we go onto them up down borons a mesons then its like oh I need to study...I dont even think theyre called borons but thats what comes to mind :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Ill just leave this here....
    :)

aleatorio wrote: »

Ill just leave this here....
    :)

That was great lol Thanks! Im gonna write that for the exam..Imagine their faces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

That was great lol Thanks! Im gonna write that for the exam..Imagine their faces

I know all the words by heart... Might do it at the end of the exam for the laugh ;)

Oh Ok tyvm Ill look over them... and I think electricity experiments always come up as Q4 on the expt every year so I doubt it would be double electricity experiment

Sure you never know! :P there was a double mechanics question last year

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Siffo

Absolutely dreading it... my highest in a physics test in 2 years has been 46% :( got 38% in mocks, dont know how this one will go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

Love quarks song.presume ye have seen large hadron collider rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

What do ya think of whittling it down to;
    - Exp's (excluding last years)
    - Important definitions
    - Heat
    - Light & wave motion
    - Sound
    - Electrostatics (charges, electroscope etc)
    - Resistance
    - The Electron
    - Nuclear physics
    - Particle physics

sooo, I'd be leaving out mechanics, electromagnetism, current electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

Look up month python the galaxy song.also good is the atom song.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

As long as mechanics doesn't take up question 12 I am happy. :D

I'd say Joules Law/resistivity is tipped for this year. Also heat experiment. velocity of sound in air as an experiment in section B.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sirwhy

I take it most of us are banking on Particle Physics?
    My teacher feels Joule's law is due to come up as well as resistivity. If I find the list of things he told me to focus on I'll post it here.

sirwhy wrote: »
    I take it most of us are banking on Particle Physics?
    My teacher feels Joule's law is due to come up as well as resistivity. If I find the list of things he told me to focus on I'll post it here.

Please do!!! My teacher believes everything is as important and didnt give us anything to focus on !

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

The physics paper is just laid out horribly..

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

james142 wrote: »
    The physics paper is just laid out horribly..

Is it? I mean the experiments take me a bit too much time due to graphing, but otherwise I think it's nicely laid out. I suppose, I'd rather two three part questions as in Chemistry (choose two parts), rather than the four part Q12.

But I mean I do love me a Q12 :D

I assume we'll all do 5, 12, and the Particle Physics option.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Is it? I mean the experiments take me a bit too much time due to graphing, but otherwise I think it's nicely laid out. I suppose, I'd rather two three part questions as in Chemistry (choose two parts), rather than the four part Q12.

Its a personal opinion I suppose.. I dunno what it is about the layout but it just annoys me..

Partical Physics? No thanks! Applied electricity all the way!

• Advertisement

Yep! Be silly not to, a nice particle physics,5,12, heat and the electron and I could get an A1

Horrible exps, horrible section b and I could get a D.....

What are you aiming for? Im only aiming for a C tbh

Advertisement