Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert PHYSICS 2014 ***

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

Just wondering what graph yee all drew for SHM q 12?:):-)

Sin graph
    Velocity on y axis
    Time on x axis
    Sine wave going up and down above and below x axis

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

Teachm wrote: »
    Sin graph
    Velocity on y axis
    Time on x axis

Why Wud it b goin below the x axis?;)

Velocity getting bigger in one direction then velocity zero,then velocity getting bigger in opposite direction
    Can't draw but google images SHM Graph and you'll see it

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

Velocity getting bigger in one direction then velocity zero,then velocity getting bigger in opposite direction
    Can't draw but google images SHM Graph and you'll see it

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Sin graph
    Velocity on y axis
    Time on x axis

Should the velocity not be getting smaller with each oscillation? Like the spring won't keep oscillating at the same speed forever. I've googled it and you're right, just doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully that won't cost me an A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

Just realised I drew the diagram for the specific heat capacity experiment instead of Joule's Law.(So mad with myself) Do you think I'd get any marks for that?

FHB wrote: »
    Just realised I drew the diagram for the specific heat capacity experiment instead of Joule's Law.(So mad with myself) Do you think I'd get any marks for that?

Well they both have heating coil,insulated calorimeter ,digital thermometer so you will get some.however will lose something for not having joulemeter

mcratsix wrote: »
    Should the velocity not be getting smaller with each oscillation? Like the spring won't keep oscillating at the same speed forever. I've googled it and you're right, just doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully that won't cost me an A

In damped SHM it would decrease over time but true SHM continues indefinitely say like a pendulum clock or the tides.sure you can afford to lose 40 marks out of paper and still have an A1

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

Well they both have heating coil,insulated calorimeter ,digital thermometer so you will get some.however will lose something for not having joulemeter

Crap, I drew an ammeter and a rheostat... Is that okay...?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

romanita wrote: »

Yeah thats the right experiment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Same, that's the drawing we have for joules law. No joulemeter, which teachm suggested above was necessary for the diagram? :confused:

Yeah,they are in it too.didnt want to emphasise what other person had omitted

Sorry lads.my error .no joule meter needed.brain on holiday.
    Sorry to give ye palpitations.
    Joules needs coil.therm ammeter,rheostat calorimet

Sun has affected the brain

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

Yeah, the problem with my diagram was that I did draw a joulemeter, instead of an ammeter and rheostat. :P

Looking at past marking schemes, I should at least get a few marks for the heating coil and possibly the thermometer, so it shouldn't be too bad. I kind of freaked out when I first realised it though. Desperately need to keep within that 40 mark loss, so I can get an A1. The thought of losing the full 12 marks for that mistake really worried me there.

Thanks anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

FHB wrote: »

Probably . You only forgot to draw an ammeter and a variable resistor . You should get something for the calorimeter etc I'd imagine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Probably . You only forgot to draw an ammeter and a variable resistor . You should get something for the calorimeter etc I'd imagine .

I put the power supply as a variable power supply, that's ok instead of a rheostat isn't is? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

aleatorio wrote: »
    I put the power supply as a variable power supply, that's ok instead of a rheostat isn't is? :eek:

No idea sorry :) I always learned it with a rheostat .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 februaryair

aleatorio wrote: »

Yeah, it is :)

In damped SHM it would decrease over time but true SHM continues indefinitely say like a pendulum clock or the tides.sure you can afford to lose 40 marks out of paper and still have an A1

Ya but I got the last part of the sound experiment wrong, that's 7 marks gone, I forgot to draw a thermometer in my joules law apparatus diagram, that's probably another 3 marks gone. Between those 3 mistakes, I lost almost 20 marks, and I definitely lost another 20 between a dodgey q7 and just general small mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lcy

I've become very worried, only realized that I never labelled my graph paper in relation to the question. I did q2 and q4, Drew both graphs correctly, both x-axis and y-axis labelled correctly, On my written paper I wrote 'See Graph'. Will I get my marks for my graphs? Any response would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

Lcy wrote: »
    I've become very worried, only realized that I never labelled my graph paper in relation to the question. I did q2 and q4, Drew both graphs correctly, both x-axis and y-axis labelled correctly, On my written paper I wrote 'See Graph'. Will I get my marks for my graphs? Any response would be appreciated.

I reckon you will, the correctors will genuinely want to give you marks and won't take marks off for not writing questions numbers if it's clear what question it comes from.

• Advertisement

Lcy wrote: »

Don't be worried, I always do that and usually it's absolutely fine, as long as you've labelled which graph refers to which q

Advertisement