Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert PHYSICS 2014 ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

james142 wrote: »
    Its a personal opinion I suppose.. I dunno what it is about the layout but it just annoys me..

Partical Physics? No thanks! Applied electricity all the way!
    Applied Electricity? So you're the elusive 2% :pac: A true masochist :p
    LoveLamps wrote: »
    Yep! Be silly not to, a nice particle physics,5,12, heat and the electron and I could get an A1

Horrible exps, horrible section b and I could get a D.....

What are you aiming for? Im only aiming for a C tbh

I need an A1 from this realistically. But I've done so little work the last few weeks.

I also do not really like electricity. Especially Electromagnetic Induction.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

According to Chief Examiner's Report - of the people who do the option question - 98% do particle physics

Normal electricity is bad enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sirwhy

I'm hoping for a nice B2/B1 here. Obviously higher would be better but I'd be happy with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

I love the electricity section! Hate mechanics :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It is horribly laid out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

I want a C hopefully but the marking scheme is so annoying you write out something that actually makes sense but you Havant mentioned a specific word or sentence..And make sure you write formulas they're worth 3 marks each formula I never use to cause you know your in the moment your just want to do the question but WRITE DOWN THE FORMULA!...and does anyone else think they should label the questions like (A) (b)(i)(ii) The amount of times I skip questions! Like why is so hard to label the questions for us!?would it not be easier for the examiner too?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

would it not be easier for the examiner too?

Isitthough?

Sorry >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Isitthough?

Sorry >_>

<_< apology accepted...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Chonaic17

Can't wait for the third week of subjects, starting with physics, all the subjects I love after the boring ones so far. I'm going to do all 12 questions like the mocks and try for a perfect score, but if you're trying to predict, then I would say.
    1. Mechanics
    2. Heat
    3. Light
    4. Electricity
    5. Everything
    6. Mechanics
    7. Waves
    8. Electricity
    9. Nuclear
    10. Particle/Applied Electricity
    11. Could be anything, maybe something on semiconductors if it's not covered before.
    12. Mechanics/Induction/Nuclear/Waves

Remember, always write down the formula for any question, and I tend to write down multiple variations of my sentence to ensure I get the one the marking scheme wants, they all mean the same thing, but sometimes those underlined words can be killer.
    Also make sure to count up the amount of marks you've answered on, the paper is horribly laid out and often they hide two questions in one and other. Another thing is to know a couple of real world applications for every section, people often forget about that part after the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

I got 9% in the mock, I'm dropping to pass on the day. I'm just hoping to pass tbh :/

Our teacher showed us the galaxy song last year XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Janeh9 wrote: »
    I got 9% in the mock, I'm dropping to pass on the day. I'm just hoping to pass tbh :/

Our teacher showed us the galaxy song last year XD

Pass for life!!!

Pass for life!!!

Woooooooooooo! I have no idea what comes up though our teacher just kinda let the pass people do whatever :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Janeh9 wrote: »
    Woooooooooooo! I have no idea what comes up though our teacher just kinda let the pass people do whatever :P

Yup, that is exactly what happens in my class. We're also segregated into half pass and half honours! :pac: ahh the course is grand. I could try find the predictions that I got if you want?

Yup, that is exactly what happens in my class. We're also segregated into half pass and half honours! :pac: ahh the course is grand. I could try find the predictions that I got if you want?

Ah sure predictions are useless I just don't know what I can leave out cuz my book is honours :P there was only 3 of us in pass in my class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

does anyone have predictions for pass physics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

ejayy wrote: »
    I love the electricity section! Hate mechanics :P

Same!:D
    Applied Electricity? So you're the elusive 2% :pac: A true masochist :p

I need an A1 from this realistically. But I've done so little work the last few weeks.

I also do not really like electricity. Especially Electromagnetic Induction.

Electricity is my favourite part of physics.. Well actually, its the only part of physics I enjoy, I aint no masochist! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

I'm learning all the experiments, heat seems to be a big one this year, as well as g by freefall and nichrome/joules law
    Gonna avoid mechanics as much as possible, and waves and sound, and I really amn't a fan of magnetism either
    Modern Physics is my baby so I hope that comes up loaddddss.
    Looking for a B1, but after some disastrous exams this week Im gonna put in the work in these few days off to push it up to an A (not getting my hopes up though)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Fiske wrote: »
    As someone who has been out of school for a ton of this year and the last and not got much study done, I think the exams so far (at least Maths, Irish, English and Biology, the ones I've sat) have been gorgeous. Nothing on Maths was mad cruel, Irish and English were predictable (and this is the first time I've ever got most of the answers on an Irish aural. Lovely tape was loooovelyyy). Biology was just plain nice. Still three exams to go but I'm already thinking of 2014 as the year that some great entity decided to have mercy on me and my soul! Let's hope it keeps up for Physics because my teacher's god awful so I'll be pretty much handling the whole course myself this weekend.

That's unfortunate,anyways if u need any help in physics such as experiments contact me,I have a good set of notes from online and stuff.You know about the tricks using the formula and tables in particle physics? apparently not a lot of people know about it going into the exams :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

LmnadZ wrote: »
    That's unfortunate,anyways if u need any help in physics such as experiments contact me,I have a good set of notes from online and stuff.You know about the tricks using the formula and tables in particle physics? apparently not a lot of people know about it going into the exams :(

The trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

Aww thank you :] Sure I'll take any help I can get, I'd be over the moon if I didn't have to repeat next year! No, I've never heard about the stuff with the tables. What's that about? :X

Tell us, o kind sage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Theres a trick? Tell me more Sensei

Aww thank you :] Sure I'll take any help I can get, I'd be over the moon if I didn't have to repeat next year! No, I've never heard about the stuff with the tables. What's that about? :X
    XtotheZ wrote: »
    Theres a trick? Tell me more Sensei

It's just that on pg 49 u have multiply the fractions of the quarks by electron volt value on pg 46 to get the charge of a particular quark.
    Also that There are some elements missing in the periodic table,you can find those missing ones in pg 82 in case u have to name the element or something

It's just that on pg 49 u have multiply the fractions of the quarks by electron volt value on pg 46 to get the charge of a particular quark.
    Also that There are some elements missing in the periodic table,you can find those missing ones in pg 82 in case u have to name the element or something

Oh, sweet, that's good to know. Thanks a bunch :]

Oh, sweet, that's good to know. Thanks a bunch :]

Np dude every leaving cert physics student need to know that I mean it's part of the syllabus and it's the teacher's responsibility to let the students know that anyways.

ah nice one thats handy, I knew about the page 82 as i always found it handier than the periodic tables

ah nice one thats handy, I knew about the page 82 as i always found it handier than the periodic tables

Yeah chemistry students would know pg 82 but i didn't know that until my physics teacher told me :0 and I have never used it in my chemistry questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sirwhy

I found part of the list of things my physics teacher told me to focus on. Much the same as others have said.

- g by freefall
    - Resistivity (Nichrome Wire)
    - Joules Law
    - Mutual and Self Induction
    - Pretty much the rest of electricity
    - Wave Nature of Light
    - Nuclear Reactions
    - Heat

And then Particle Physics. He said the rest is probably a broad range of mechanics and general physics (Q5 obviously). It's not all that helpful since he's basically saying 'Study everything but applied electricity'.

Yeah chemistry students would know pg 82 but i didn't know that until my physics teacher told me :0 and I have never used it in my chemistry questions.

our teacher told us about it but she is an unreal teacher

our teacher told us about it but she is an unreal teacher

My Chem teacher is mega too, she's like a twenty-something, permanently startled/stoned looking Walter White who teaches us what chemicals we need to steal from the chemistry lab if we want to get rid of our hair extensions xD We had a useless teacher last year though so she's spent a lot of her time picking up the pieces with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Could I have the physics experiment questions? You see I do physics on my own and don't know have the answers to the questions in the exam papers :)

Advertisement