Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert PHYSICS 2014 ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Whenever I try to study physics I end up just watching brian cox documentaries

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

Ejayy .do you know about fab site "the physics teacher.ie".if you google this and go into interactive and click on word,you have solutions to all exam questions including experiments at the end of the chapter they are relevant to.if you post up specific questions I will answer them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

ejayy wrote: »
    I love the electricity section! Hate mechanics :P

Finally someone who despises mechanics. :D everything is easy in physics EXCEPT MECHANICS! I can't explain my hatred for it. I could write more than 100 pages for an essay if the title was; "Why you hate Mechanics?"

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Whenever I try to study physics I end up just watching brian cox documentaries

Well atleast you manage to watch "documentaries." I look at the notes, then, lift my head, check out my surrounding...then repeat the process till my dear brain says, "that's enough studying for today love."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Well atleast you manage to watch "documentaries." I look at the notes, then, lift my head, check out my surrounding...then repeat the process till my dear brain says, "that's enough studying for today love."

Wow you described me in a nutshell:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Mechanics is the easiest section :D

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

:eek: how dare you!

nope
    just nope

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Seriously, what's wrong with it? :p

It..It..mind****s you :(

• Advertisement

You never know where you are with it, you could study it for hours and still get a bitch of a question.
    Modern physics is lovely though, only part I like (apart from heat, hear is a piece of piss)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Robbyb525

I have physics Monday. I've done no study for section B yet. But I did do all the experiments and exam q's on them about 4 weeks ago, but then I concentrated on my earlier exams. Any tips on what topics to study? I'm gonna really try get close to full marks in the experiment section. Need a C1/B3 , also I'm doing it through Irish! Anyone that could help me? Predictions,advise, topics to focus on etc!

Robbyb525 wrote: »
    I have physics Monday. I've done no study for section B yet. But I did do all the experiments and exam q's on them about 4 weeks ago, but then I concentrated on my earlier exams. Any tips on what topics to study? I'm gonna really try get close to full marks in the experiment section. Need a C1/B3 , also I'm doing it through Irish! Anyone that could help me? Predictions,advise, topics to focus on etc!

Definately the option, maybe elecricity cos that makes up a huge chunk, heat is likely to come up too... and the long qs are similar enough to the experiment qs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Go to the physics teacher, and go to the physics section. I'd download the word file with all the definitions. It'd only take you a day or two to learn most if not all of them off. This would be hugely beneficial. After definitions there's really only calculations and other small bits, and then the experiments which you already said you're good with.

Thanks a million guys! Im pretty stressed atm, I was really focusing on biology was aiming for an A and it went really bad worst paper ever. So I've gotta make up for it with physics, full 4 days off and no other subject to study for! Ju think with experiments, definitions, modern physics, particle physics and bits of electricity maybe heat , and with the bonus irish I could pull off the B3? I have to at this stage after how Biology went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Thanks a million guys! Im pretty stressed atm, I was really focusing on biology was aiming for an A and it went really bad worst paper ever. So I've gotta make up for it with physics, full 4 days off and no other subject to study for! Ju think with experiments, definitions, modern physics, particle physics and bits of electricity maybe heat , and with the bonus irish I could pull off the B3? I have to at this stage after how Biology went.

You could probably pull of anything you want depending on your short term memory and if the right things came up to suit you. There's not much to learn in physics thankfully, usually the answers are just one or two words. Read back over all of the question 5's, they're an easy way to pick up marks. I'd avoid q11 if you can, marked very hard compared to others.

Aspiring wrote: »
    You could probably pull of anything you want depending on your short term memory and if the right things came up to suit you. There's not much to learn in physics thankfully, usually the answers are just one or two words. Read back over all of the question 5's, they're an easy way to pick up marks. I'd avoid q11 if you can, marked very hard compared to others.

Thanks for the advice :) It's gonna be a long 4 days haha. Memory won't be a problem I'm ok in that area, just more of breaking down the section B section to something I could pull off with 4 days.

Teach,me your ways senpai. How do I deal with a mechanic question? Is there like any tips you can give us all?
    Wow you described me in a nutshell:D

Glad to know that I am not the only one. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Definitions aren't bad for most of them you can just give the formula straight out of the F+T book

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CelestialKing

Teach,me your ways senpai. How do I deal with a mechanic question? Is there like any tips you can give us all?

[How To Tackle Mechanics]

Think like this: (1) What exactly is the question asking me to find (Velocity, distance, mass etc.)

(2) What am I given (Initial velocity, distance etc.)

(3) How would it be possible to get to the answer, what equations have both the variable I want and the variables I have (Got distance, acceleration and time, want initial velocity : S=ut+1/2at(t) )

Also for the particular question if you have no idea where to start: Write down ALL equations with at least one of the variables and then start filling everything in. You still don't see the answer? Finish off the paper and come back to the question. Still don't see the answer? Start equating the equations you half filled in.

Above all USE LOGIC. Think logically. Don't break out Q=eV when you're doing a question on pressure. Make sure you understand the actual concepts of the mechanics section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Just finished modern physics this morning . Hopefully a good few questions on it will come up.
    A photoelectric effect question and fission and fusion question would be nice .

Is it 20 minutes per long question ?

Anyone have good electricity notes? willing to swap other notes??

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

I would say that Doppler effect would come up, and its a lovely one
    Years it came up: '03, '05, '06, '07, '08, '10, '11
    So it wasn't there on 04, 09, 12 and 13, very likely to come up in our LC :p

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

What about the experiments? Do they always ask one on light and electricity? and then heat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Nicke011 wrote: »
    I would say that Doppler effect would come up, and its a lovely one
    Years it came up: '03, '05, '06, '07, '08, '10, '11
    So it wasn't there on 04, 09, 12 and 13, very likely to come up in our LC :p

I predict q5 will be short questions do 8.
    Just a hunch :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Teachm wrote: »
    Ejayy .do you know about fab site "the physics teacher.ie".if you google this and go into interactive and click on word,you have solutions to all exam questions including experiments at the end of the chapter they are relevant to.if you post up specific questions I will answer them here.

Thank you! I will most likely be asking you loads of questions this week ??:)

Random question; does anyone else do the three sciences?? Don't know why I did I don't even need one of them for my course :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Thank you! I will most likely be asking you loads of questions this week ??:)

Random question; does anyone else do the three sciences?? Don't know why I did I don't even need one of them for my course :L

I do two, and know about half the chem course because I had intended on studying it outside of school because my school doesnt offer it but then I didnt have enough time for it anymore :pac:
    If my school had offered all 3 Id have done them! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

I do the three. I'm mad about all the sciences, and I thought every other subject option was crap, so here I am.

Plus I guess first year Science in college will be easy now if I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

aleatorio wrote: »
    I do two, and know about half the chem course because I had intended on studying it outside of school because my school doesnt offer it but then I didnt have enough time for it anymore :pac:
    If my school had offered all 3 Id have done them! :o

Chemistry is definitely the most interesting out of the three! Organic is a babe!

I do physics on my own :) and I left school in like November so had no teachers for my other subjects :L

What you think of bio??:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

I know nothing for this. How tragic.

Such a doable subject if you put in the work too.

A1 next year I hope. :o

Advertisement