Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert PHYSICS 2014 ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Fiske wrote: »
    I do them all. I'm mad about all the sciences, and I thought every other subject option was crap, so here I am :P

Plus I guess first year Science in college will be easy now if I get it.

Science is fun you have to admit it like!! But I love history too (except after yesterday I now hate the subject! And Germans pretty cool to :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

ejayy wrote: »
    Chemistry is definitely the most interesting out of the three! Organic is a babe!

I do physics on my own :) and I left school in like November so had no teachers for my other subjects :L

What you think of bio??:)

Biology is my favorite :D Want to study it next year :') The paper was 'unusual' this year though.. :o

I do them all. I'm mad about all the sciences, and I thought every other subject option was crap, so here I am :P

Plus I guess first year Science in college will be easy now if I get it.

Onhh where you thinking of doing science??
    aleatorio wrote: »
    Biology is my favorite :D Want to study it next year :') The paper was 'unusual' this year though.. :o

Biology is defiantly the easiest :) where??:D if I don't get psychology I'm looking at general science in dcu ! Yeah it was weird, fingers crossed I got my a1 since history was a disaster yesterday :(

Biology is defiantly the easiest :) where??:D if I don't get psychology I'm looking at general science in dcu ! Yeah it was weird, fingers crossed I got my a1 since history was a disaster yesterday :(

Biomedical Health and Life Science in UCD, have Human Health and Disease in TCD second and then General Science in UCD :o

Yeah Im hoping for the A1 too, hopefully the bell curve will treat us kindly! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

Science is fun you have to admit it like!! But I love history too (except after yesterday I now hate the subject! And Germans pretty cool to :D

SCIENCE fkmegm. With Phys, I like all the little things that you learn about how sh*t works, in Chem I like Molecular Structure, all the hydrocarbons and organic chem and that stuff. And in Bio, I love Genetics. I've always been into heredity and all that, I think it's awesome. Fun in every subject :D

I did German back in my old school for the JC and I loved it!!! But then I moved to a new school in 4th year and they didn't have enough for a German class so they made me stick with French instead. T.T I'm planning on taking it back up myself actually, once this is all over!

And I want to do Science in Trinners, it's the easiest to get to from where I live, I like the campus and the libraries, plus I know a lot of people who did it there and loved it. General for me because I'm not sure exactly where I want to go with it, yet. Narrowing down the subjects in 1st year will be the hardest thing if I get in, especially since I love Computer Science as well T.T

Also what happened in the History exam? I haven't heard from any of the girls who were doing it.

• Advertisement

SCIENCE fkmegm. With Phys, I like all the little things that you learn about how sh*t works, in Chem I like Molecular Structure, all the hydrocarbons and organic chem and that stuff. And in Bio, I love Genetics. I've always been into heredity and all that, I think it's awesome. Fun in every subject :D

I did German back in my old school for the JC and I loved it!!! But then I moved to a new school in 4th year and they didn't have enough for a German class so they made me stick with French instead. T.T I'm planning on taking it back up myself actually, once this is all over!

And I want to do Science in Trinners, it's the easiest to get to from where I live, I like the campus and the libraries, plus I know a lot of people who did it there and loved it. General for me because I'm not sure exactly where I want to go with it, yet. Narrowing down the subjects in 1st year will be the hardest thing if I get in, especially since I love Computer Science as well T.T

Physics for me has to be electricity :) chemistry organic and organic reactions and all that jazz and bio I love me some human systems :D

Get a penal from Germany they help you so much!

Awh I was going to go there like last year but changed my mind and yeah as I said in an above post if I don't get psychology I will be heading for general science in dcu :D

Also what happened in the History exam? I haven't heard from any of the girls who were doing it.

We'll for me is that I learned like 25 essays and completely went blank (never in my life happened to me so idk what happened I hadn't eaten anything that day so maybe that was it)

And I can tell you the topics that people were expecting that didn't come up :P

Mussolini was a no show, technology of warfare was a no show, as was hitler, Nuremberg, hitter foreign policy .

And NO treaty for the document question :P just goes to show don't rely on predictions :)

So annoying because the other two girls that do history as we'll learned five essays in total and they new them perfectly :(

Physics for me has to be electricity :) chemistry organic and organic reactions and all that jazz and bio I love me some human systems :D

Get a penal from Germany they help you so much!

Awh I was going to go there like last year but changed my mind and yeah as I said in an above post if I don't get psychology I will be heading for general science in dcu :D

Ooh, maybe I should get a penpal.

Haha, my dad's an electronic engineer so I work extra hard on the Electricity just so he can be like, *sniff* "You truly are my daughter...."

That sucks about History, I knew a lot of people were expecting Hitler and Mussolini, I think this year has been a bit hit and miss with the predictions. Irish and English were right on target, other subjects not so much.

aleatorio wrote: »
    Biomedical Health and Life Science in UCD, have Human Health and Disease in TCD second and then General Science in UCD :o

Yeah Im hoping for the A1 too, hopefully the bell curve will treat us kindly! :o

Awh cool :D

Hopefully yeah otherwise I'm scrwed !

Where yous all going out for when yous finish the leaving cert?
    Ooh, maybe I should get a penpal.

Haha, my dad's an electronic engineer so I work extra hard on the Electricity just so he can be like, *sniff* "You truly are my daughter...."

That sucks about History, I knew a lot of people were expecting Hitler and Mussolini, I think this year has been a bit hit and miss with the predictions. Irish and English were right on target, other subjects not so much.

Do I have one and he is so nice, I would actually say he is better than I am at English :L

Awh that's so cool, I would say you pick up a lot of little bits of information when your around him :)

Yeah its so annoying because I knew the essays but just couldn't get myself to concentrate at all!

My bed :<
    Awh that's so cool, I would say you pick up a lot of little bits of information when your around him :)

I do yeah, and it's so cool having green boards and soldering irons and that around the joint! Apparently when I was a little kid I used to go through all his magazines and blab to him about C compilers lol xD I'm going for science but I absolutely have to find a way to fit programming in as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Awh cool :D

Hopefully yeah otherwise I'm scrwed !

I do yeah, and it's so cool having green boards and soldering irons and that around the joint! Apparently when I was a little kid I used to go through all his magazines and blab to him about C compilers lol xD I'm going for science but I absolutely have to find a way to fit programming in as well...

With posts like these ye should join us in the off-topic thread :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90813851

Are ye just doing exam papers are reading through the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rocco123

How leniant is the marking schemes exactly, they allow many alternate answers once they make sense right, not just those actually used as an example in the marking scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Does anyone else get that feeling stuff they learned like 2 weeks ago they have already forgotten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Does anyone else get that feeling stuff they learned like 2 weeks ago they have already forgotten?
    Yeah thats why you cram last minute;) completely forgot all of mechanics

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Yeah thats why you cram last minute;) completely forgot all of mechanics

Ya on the bright side though, I felt the same for biology and when I looked at the stuff the night before it came back very quickly.

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Ya on the bright side though, I felt the same for biology and when I looked at the stuff the night before it came back very quickly.

Figures crossed :D But I still have to do all the experiments...:(

With posts like these ye should join us in the off-topic thread :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90813851

Are ye just doing exam papers are reading through the book?

I comment here and there on that thread :)
    Bit of both , revise from book then go to exam papers :) wbu?

I comment here and there on that thread :)
    Bit of both , revise from book then go to exam papers :) wbu?

Ive been working my way through the exam papers, do it without the book, correct it and then write out all the corrections on a sheet and keep them in a folder, have a nice big pile of crap i dont know :pac:

Over the next few days Im going to motor away at every exam paper in my papers, and section from my book each day :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

Does anyone know what the deal is with continuity of answers? If I get a value wrong in the first section and continue using that value correctly for the rest of the question will I merit full marks? (Obviously barring what I lost earlier) It would soothe my poor soul knowing I could mess up and still get something :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Does anyone know what the deal is with continuity of answers? If I get a value wrong in the first section and continue using that value correctly for the rest of the question will I merit full marks? (Obviously barring what I lost earlier) It would soothe my poor soul knowing I could mess up and still get something :P

I know for applied maths you are only penalized once but if your incorrect answer in an earlier part makes the rest of the question much simplier you get a bigger deduction. Might be the same for physics

• Advertisement

depends they get a marking scheme and answer that have / mean they cant be carried on and answers that have // can be carried on so if you get 1st part wrong and carry over you will get full marks. For the majority of the exam it is carried:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

depends they get a marking scheme and answer that have / mean they cant be carried on and answers that have // can be carried on so if you get 1st part wrong and carry over you will get full marks. For the majority of the exam it is carried:D

Cheers! Did the 2004 paper and through my own pure stupidity misunderstood a part of Q.6 and miscalculated the velocity of the second object. The difference in marks was scary (92 vs 89% ooouuch)

So that's my mind a tad more at ease- I'm the worst for stupid errors -_-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

Realistically need an A1 in this subject but hate it so much I have done absolutely nothing these past few months. Better start cramming...

What actually is mechanics?

Flickka wrote: »
    Realistically need an A1 in this subject but hate it so much I have done absolutely nothing these past few months. Better start cramming...

What actually is mechanics?

Lol you dont want to know:p just pretend its not there...mechanics-the branch of applied mathematics dealing with motion and forces producing motion...If your good at maths and problem solving its fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Mechanics could be done using just the formulas but if you don't understand what's going on you could mess it up. Circular motion can be a bit tricky too in mechanics.

Which experiments are predicted just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

What do ye think of proofs.? One of them likely to come up.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

romanita wrote: »
    What do ye think of proofs.? One of them likely to come up.?

One could creep on alright, but they're nice enough, nothing too tricky. ThePhysicsTeacher has them all done out in a handy revision .pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Siffo

Gonna drop down to ordinary on the day, anyone got any tips on what to study for it? Really cant deal with the HL paper :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

The proof for s=ut+1/2at^2 came up on our mocks I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Could someone please explain the Gold Leaf Electroscope to me?
    Notes are not helping
    Thanks

Advertisement