Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert PHYSICS 2014 ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Fuuuuuuucked!!!!
    Gonna do experiments, modern physics, heat, particle physics and definitions - in that order
    Maybe something else if i have time

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

What experiments do people think are coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

Uncharged electroscope.
    Bring a positively charged rod close to cap.(Perspex)
    Electrons will move to cap and positive charge down to leaves which will diverge/rise as like charges repel
    If you then very briefly touch the cap the electrons travel from ground through your finger to cancel out positive charge on leaves and they collapse.
    (charge on rod holds charge on cap)
    Remove the rod and the negative charge moves all over GLE and leaves diverge/rise again.
    You have just charged GLE NEGATIVELY by INDUCTION using a POSITIVE rod

For 2thousand14

If a negatively charged rod (polythene) is brought near an uncharged GLE
    Positive charge moves to cap
    Negative charge moves to leaves and they diverge
    Now when you touch cap briefly with your finger the electrons on the leaves go to ground/earth
    (the positive charge is held on cap by rod)
    Remove rod
    The positive charge moves all over GLE and leaves diverge
    You have just charged GLE POSITIVELY by INDUCTION using a negatively charged rod which was initially charged by friction.

Hope this helps but we'd b much better with diagrams

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Teachm wrote: »
    Uncharged electroscope.
    Bring a positively charged rod close to cap.(Perspex)
    Electrons will move to cap and positive charge down to leaves which will diverge/rise as like charges repel
    If you then very briefly touch the cap the electrons travel from ground through your finger to cancel out positive charge on leaves and they collapse.
    (charge on rod holds charge on cap)
    Remove the rod and the negative charge moves all over GLE and leaves diverge/rise again.
    You have just charged GLE NEGATIVELY by INDUCTION using a POSITIVE rod

For 2thousand14

If a negatively charged rod (polythene) is brought near an uncharged GLE
    Positive charge moves to cap
    Negative charge moves to leaves and they diverge
    Now when you touch cap briefly with your finger the electrons on the leaves go to ground/earth
    (the positive charge is held on cap by rod)
    Remove rod
    The positive charge moves all over GLE and leaves diverge
    You have just charged GLE POSITIVELY by INDUCTION using a negatively charged rod which was initially charged by friction.

Hope this helps but we'd b much better with diagrams

Thank you very much!!

No probs.physics teacher on hols so feel free to post questions.i won't give predictions tho as you never know .forgot to say
    PolytheNe gains Negative
    PersPex gains Positive charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

Does studying electromagnetic induction make anybody else but me, want to tear their hair out and curl in a ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Fuuuuuuucked!!!!
    Gonna do experiments, modern physics, heat, particle physics and definitions - in that order
    Maybe something else if i have time

can you only study that much?? :O like your leaving out both mechanics and electricity??

Just curious like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

otpmb wrote: »
    Does studying electromagnetic induction make anybody else but me, want to tear their hair out and curl in a ball?

....yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Teachm wrote: »
    No probs.physics teacher on hols so feel free to post questions.i won't give predictions tho as you never know .forgot to say
    PolytheNe gains Negative
    PersPex gains Positive charge

Btw, a means of remembering which material does which; 'Perspex' ends in X and X is like a + on its side. + being positive!!
    Flickka wrote: »
    Realistically need an A1 in this subject but hate it so much I have done absolutely nothing these past few months. Better start cramming...

What actually is mechanics?
    Lol you dont want to know:p just pretend its not there...mechanics-the branch of applied mathematics dealing with motion and forces producing motion...If your good at maths and problem solving its fine

Mechanics maths isn't that hard! It's all formulas and logic. It could be much worse.[\I]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Just out of interest. Is the applied electricity option for HL difficult? We did particle physics, which I've always been glad of :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Aspiring wrote: »
    Just out of interest. Is the applied electricity option for HL difficult? We did particle physics, which I've always been glad of :D

I have only ever met one person who ever did it, and they did Electrical Engineering so they were quite biased :P
    I did particle physics as well, my teacher said it wasn't necessarily difficult but that particle physics was just so much easier that it was pointless to do applied electricity (purely in terms of the exam)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

Do any physics teachers know if it's possible for more than one electricity experiment to come up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Ompala wrote: »
    I have only ever met one person who ever did it, and they did Electrical Engineering so they were quite biased :P
    I did particle physics as well, my teacher said it wasn't necessarily difficult but that particle physics was just so much easier that it was pointless to do applied electricity (purely in terms of the exam)

Id say anti matter , pair production , pair annihilation and family's of particles have a good chance of coming up this year .

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Id say anti matter , pair production , pair annihilation and family's of particles have a good chance of coming up this year .

Not much else that come up really apart from them and mass/energy conversions and fundamental forces, and cockroft and Walton.

Not much else that come up really apart from them and mass/energy conversions and fundamental forces, and cockroft and Walton.

The whole particle accelerator area was on last years paper so I'd say it will be more like pair production calculations and antiparticles this year .

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    The whole particle accelerator area was on last years paper so I'd say it will be more like pair production calculations and antiparticles this year .

Ah yeah, all lovely stuff anyway compared to the thoughts of applied electricity :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

what should i study i am doing pass and dont no what to look over ?

caolan1996 wrote: »
    what should i study i am doing pass and dont no what to look over ?

Take a look at the syllabus http://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/a789272e-823f-4d40-b095-4ff8f6f195e4/SCSEC27_Physics_syllabus_eng.pdf.

You should study whatever's on that for pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Just study all of particle physics, its only 1 chapter and its guaranteed to come up. Its easy to get 56 marks in it.

Particle physics is not on ordinary level.probably best bet is to study using past papers and your book.when you get stuck ,solutions on state exam commission website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Robbyb525

Looking for about half marks in section B , what should I really focus on? Particle physics short q's and maybe Q 12 and attempts at others could surely get me 140 marks ?

Robbyb525 wrote: »
    Looking for about half marks in section B , what should I really focus on? Particle physics short q's and maybe Q 12 and attempts at others could surely get me 140 marks ?

I'd study waves. Same kinda thing always comes up. Seems to be kinda following a pattern of sound,light,sound,light over the last few years. But it wouldn't take long to look over both. Easy to understand all the wave stuff too so it's not too hard to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Robbyb525

I'd study waves. Same kinda thing always comes up. Seems to be kinda following a pattern of sound,light,sound,light over the last few years. But it wouldn't take long to look over both. Easy to understand all the wave stuff too so it's not too hard to learn.

Okay thanks! I'm having a look at sound waves light now and maybe modern physics too? What do ye think will come up in modern physics this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

Anyone have an idea where I can get a video or comprehensive explanation of standing waves in open and closed pipes? Or just standing waves in general? I can't get my head around it...:(

Anyone have an idea where I can get a video or comprehensive explanation of standing waves in open and closed pipes? Or just standing waves in general? I can't get my head around it...:(

Haven't watched it but the like/dislike ratio looks promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,802 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well it's easy to think that for an open pipe the waveform will finish touching the edges of the pipe and for closed ends the waveform meets in the middle of that endcap

And the mechanics is too simple to neglect but I'm biased doing mechanical engineering. SVAT relationships come up a lot though (position velocity acceleration time) and not just in physics but college level math will relate back to it also, just a heads up
    Nicke011 wrote: »
    I would say that Doppler effect would come up, and its a lovely one
    Years it came up: '03, '05, '06, '07, '08, '10, '11
    So it wasn't there on 04, 09, 12 and 13, very likely to come up in our LC :p

Good old '06 '07 that takes me back

Open pipes produce all harmonics . Antinode at each end and node at centre .

Closed pipe produce only odd harmonics . There is always a node at closed end and then antinode at open end .

Just learn definition of standing wave . You don't need to understand it just reproduce definition . Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1 evan11811

What should I study tonight and tomorrow? I literally just need to pass this subject to be safe for college! I know the experiments , but what's likely to be big on long questions?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I think we're looking at a 2008 type particle physics question. God I hope there's a long question on heat though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Say2461

mechanics predictions anyone?

oh and electricity predictions??

Advertisement