Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert PHYSICS 2014 ***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Say2461 wrote: »
    mechanics predictions anyone?

I'd go with a question like 2009... force of friction and acceleration type question with vectors. Then again I won't do the mechanics question anyway.

And for electricity, I'd say a question on statics or else a circuit question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Say2461

FatRat wrote: »
    I'd go with a question like 2009... force of friction and acceleration type question with vectors. Then again I won't do the mechanics question anyway.

And for electricity, I'd say a question on statics or else a circuit question.

thankyoooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

[How To Tackle Mechanics]

Think like this: (1) What exactly is the question asking me to find (Velocity, distance, mass etc.)

(2) What am I given (Initial velocity, distance etc.)

(3) How would it be possible to get to the answer, what equations have both the variable I want and the variables I have (Got distance, acceleration and time, want initial velocity : S=ut+1/2at(t) )

Also for the particular question if you have no idea where to start: Write down ALL equations with at least one of the variables and then start filling everything in. You still don't see the answer? Finish off the paper and come back to the question. Still don't see the answer? Start equating the equations you half filled in.

Above all USE LOGIC. Think logically. Don't break out Q=eV when you're doing a question on pressure. Make sure you understand the actual concepts of the mechanics section

Now that you break it down Mechanics 1 isn't that bad. But during exam situations everything I know about mechanics flies out the sundown. :(
    ejayy wrote: »
    Thank you! I will most likely be asking you loads of questions this week ??:)

Random question; does anyone else do the three sciences?? Don't know why I did I don't even need one of them for my course :L

We were stupid enough to make such decision and the sad thing is I do accounting too. -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

We were stupid enough to make such decision and the sad thing is I do accounting too. -.-

I know and like i only took up physics this year as well :L...

Oh I feel for you... Monday and Tuesday definitely will be really hard for you :O

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

So my teacher shortlisted the experiments to 9 that he thinks are most likely to come up:

G by freefall/f=ma
    Joule's Law/resistivity
    F is proportional to root T/ F is proportional to L/Wavelength of monochromatic light
    Copper cylinder/Latent heat of water and ice

Thoughts?

• Advertisement

ejayy wrote: »
    I know and like i only took up physics this year as well :L...

Oh I feel for you... Monday and Tuesday definitely will be really hard for you :O

I am not that worried about accounting and physics to be honest. chemistry experiments are so not gonna kill me! it'll will be grand.

*sarcasm*
    So my teacher shortlisted the experiments to 9 that he thinks are most likely to come up:

G by freefall/f=ma
    Joule's Law/resistivity
    F is proportional to root T/ F is proportional to L/Wavelength of monochromatic light
    Copper cylinder/Latent heat of water and ice

Thoughts?

even though speed of sound in air came up in section B last year, it is very likely to come up in section a this year. Latent heat of fusion and vaporisation is very strong. freefall and f promotional to a is what will definitely come up in mechanics. Wait you could add conservation of momentum to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

even though speed of sound in air came up in section B last year, it is very likely to come up in section a this year. Latent heat of fusion and vaporisation is very strong. freefall and f promotional to a is what will definitely come up in mechanics. Wait you could add conservation of momentum to it too.

Ah, Conservation of momentum is grand to explain! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EoinHeinz

Hey guys, quick question. So I have the log tables with the blue cover. But obviously the examiners give us the brown ones. I noticed during maths there's some differences but I wasn't going to waste my time figuring out exactly what had changed. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the blue covered ones and the ones with brown covers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

A nice SHM/hookes law question would be lovely for Mechanics, the one in the examcraft mock would be great XD
    The examcraft mocks seem to very good at predicting the exams, to the extent that in 2008 the mock had a question almost identical to the pole vault q in Q12, so anyone who did examcraft, study that paper!

I'd say a heat exp is pretty much guaranteed for section A, as long as the sec play nice XD

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Say2461

aleatorio wrote: »
    A nice SHM/hookes law question would be lovely for Mechanics, the one in the examcraft mock would be great XD
    The examcraft mocks seem to very good at predicting the exams, to the extent that in 2008 the mock had a question almost identical to the pole vault q in Q12, so anyone who did examcraft, study that paper!

I'd say a heat exp is pretty much guaranteed for section A, as long as the sec play nice XD

where is that available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

The blue formulae and tables was published first and had an error or two in it.the maroon coloured one that you get on the day is the exact same layout,page numbers etc .i think the error was to do with Maths or economics not physics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Was that Q8 on the Examcraft mock? Talk about a shock extra mechanics question :p How did you get on with that mock?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

How are all of you studying for it? I have accounting on monday too so I cant dedicate all my time to physics :(
    Doing past papers is quite time consuming. No way will i have enough time to cover all the definitions now..
    A C is looking quite difficult atm. All ive done is exps, particle physics, modern physics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Was that Q8 on the Examcraft mock? Talk about a shock extra mechanics question :p How did you get on with that mock?

Ah it was graaanndd :)
    I got 92% :o hoping for something similar to that paper on Monday :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Teachm wrote: »
    The blue formulae and tables was published first and had an error or two in it.the maroon coloured one that you get on the day is the exact same layout,page numbers etc .i think the error was to do with Maths or economics not physics

There was this circular in 2009 outlining the changes from 2010 and onwards. Not sure when the blue one is from though, I presume it was the pre 2010 one.

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_92_09_Re_Formulae_and_Tables_Booklet.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

how much do i need to write for pass ? when i look at the answers online they have about 4 or 5 words and that it per answer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

LoveLamps wrote: »
    How are all of you studying for it? I have accounting on monday too so I cant dedicate all my time to physics :(
    Doing past papers is quite time consuming. No way will i have enough time to cover all the definitions now..
    A C is looking quite difficult atm. All ive done is exps, particle physics, modern physics

Yeah Im the exact same, I dont know where to start with it and I have accounting. I have electricity experiments particle modern and experiments done. Plan on doing Heat tomorrow and maybe a bit of optics if I have time....
    I think a head experiment/long question will definately be on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

caolan1996 wrote: »
    how much do i need to write for pass ? when i look at the answers online they have about 4 or 5 words and that it per answer ?

Usually the marking scheme for questions based on definitions or explanations shows only the key words that must be used. For full marks, they must be used in the right context.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

Look at marking scheme on paper.if there are 6 marks for a question it usually means they are looking for two points 3 marks each.if a question has 18 marks it needs a lot more.marking schemes only highlight main points so I would advise you not to abbreviate too much.as a general rule of thumb a sentence or two for every three marks.good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LC.student2014

Anyone have any predictions for ordinary level? Feeling a tad stressed now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

So screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 deadpixel

Not looking forward to this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Lol so many people are dreading physics..I didnt do much for it at all and I have accounting monday too And I want a high grade in that so physics has really been left behind and Ive only done like 11 expt, electricity about a month ago so im hoping it will come back to me and I still need to do particle physics so Yeah Im ****ed :p I'de be ok with a low C or High D though. Can you pass by just writing down Formulas which are 3 marks and then its like 3 marks for subbing in? would you pass by doing that and just using log tables and then get like 15-20% in section A?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

The electricity experiment "variance of I with potential difference" has come up the past 3 years so I'd say it will be measuring resistivity of nichrome this year.

The examcraft mocks seem to very good at predicting the exams, to the extent that in 2008 the mock had a question almost identical to the pHuole vault q in Q12, so anyone who did examcraft, study that paper!

could you by any chance give details of the examcraft paper? My school teachers make pre papers by themselves to prevent us from getting answers fr other school so I have no idea what's you are talking about. That is if you have time. :) please.. With cherry on top. :D
    Lol so many people are dreading physics..I didnt do much for it at all and I have accounting monday too And I want a high grade in that so physics has really been left behind and Ive only done like 11 expt, electricity about a month ago so im hoping it will come back to me and I still need to do particle physics so Yeah Im ****ed :p I'de be ok with a low C or High D though. Can you pass by just writing down Formulas which are 3 marks and then its like 3 marks for subbing in? would you pass by doing that and just using log tables and then get like 15-20% in section A?

Oh God as we approach the exams. I am feeling scared. Do you have any predictions for accounting?

I'd suggest you go over heat just before the exam. And perhaps optics too especially the definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

This might be a long shot, but if anyone who had the examcraft(I think) mock, would ye mind telling me what ye got for Q7 b (i) and (ii).? The heat gained by ice and the whole 30% heat loss part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

The derivation of the diffraction grating formula hasn't come up in a while. Dunno if they'd put it on tho since it's probably the hardest (imo) derivation on the syllabus.

Aspiring wrote: »
    The derivation of the diffraction grating formula hasn't come up in a while. Dunno if they'd put it on tho since it's probably the hardest (imo) derivation on the syllabus.

Yeah it is def the hardest derivation:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I'm leaving out the mechanics experiments... I don't have them studied and there far too much effort!

I could probably wing an SHM or Gravity one though if I'm stuck!

Not looking forward to tomorrow... I have the basics but that's about it!

• Advertisement

Are the Q 5's repetitive? like would they ask one question one year and the exact same one another?

Advertisement