Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert PHYSICS 2014 ***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Yeah it is def the hardest derivation:pac:

It seems they're trying to make physics easier aswell to get more people to do it. Compare recent years with many years ago, tis quite obvious. Also the log tables have changed what comes up a lot, no point them asking a lot of things we can pull straight from the log tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Cakes. wrote: »
    I'm leaving out the mechanics experiments... I don't have them studied and there far too much effort!

I could probably wing an SHM or Gravity one though if I'm stuck!

Not looking forward to tomorrow... I have the basics but that's about it!

Just read through them lol..Some of them Im able to remember from doing them in class so I get like half marks for them :p

Are the Q 5's repetitive? like would they ask one question one year and the exact same one another?

I think the Doppler effect has come up a few times there.

Aspiring wrote: »
    It seems they're trying to make physics easier aswell to get more people to do it. Compare recent years with many years ago, tis quite obvious. Also the log tables have changed what comes up a lot, no point them asking a lot of things we can pull straight from the log tables.

Damn those log tables were gonna pass me!:P And I like it easier I think it will attract those that are interested in physics and the way things work but arnt good at maths

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RP77

Predictions:Q1 g by freefall, Q2 latent heat/heat capacity, Q3 speed of sound, Q4 joules law, Q6 SHM, Q7 Something from light..possible wavelength of light exp or mirrors, Q8 Magnetism/ EM induction, Q9 Circuits ..maybe wheatstone or capacitors, Q10a Pair production/annihilation, Q11 something from modern physics.

• Advertisement

I think the Doppler effect has come up a few times there.

Ty Im expecting to do Q5 but I never do them/practice them:confused:hope a optics Q comes up or heat for Q6 and 7

RP77 wrote: »
    Predictions:Q1 g by freefall, Q2 latent heat/heat capacity, Q3 speed of sound, Q4 joules law, Q6 SHM, Q7 Something from light..possible wavelength of light exp or mirrors, Q8 Magnetism/ EM induction, Q9 Circuits ..maybe wheatstone or capacitors, Q10a Pair production/annihilation, Q11 something from modern physics.

Id love that paper :D

Damn those log tables were gonna pass me!:P And I like it easier I think it will attract those that are interested in physics and the way things work but arnt good at maths

You can still do a lot with the log tables. A lot of question 5 answers can be plugging numbers into formulas in the log tables. Yeah but still it's very heavy on the definition side of things now.

Just noticed SHM hasn't come up in mechanics for a while. Circular motion came up last year and linear the year before so it could be a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 galpal123

Would the diffraction grating derivation be likely seeing as the wavelength of a monochromatic light exp. is due up? It'd be too long/difficult to appear as 7 marks on Q5 either
    I think it was actually easier years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

romanita wrote: »
    This might be a long shot, but if anyone who had the examcraft(I think) mock, would ye mind telling me what ye got for Q7 b (i) and (ii).? The heat gained by ice and the whole 30% heat loss part.

Its DEB.
    10133J
    Mass water 0 .552kg

• Advertisement

You can still do a lot with the log tables. A lot of question 5 answers can be plugging numbers into formulas in the log tables. Yeah but still it's very heavy on the definition side of things now.

Just noticed SHM hasn't come up in mechanics for a while. Circular motion came up last year and linear the year before so it could be a possibility.

:eek: Ok ill try looking at that Im a bit pushed for time though Have Accounting 2morrow too and Im doing modern physics atm and I still have to do like 8 more expt.:( Ty for advice It really does help me :pac: I did SHM a while back hopefully it will all just come back to me

galpal123 wrote: »
    Would the diffraction grating derivation be likely seeing as the wavelength of a monochromatic light exp. is due up? It'd be too long/difficult to appear as 7 marks on Q5 either
    I think it was actually easier years ago!

If this exp comes up in Sec B then its very likely that the derivation will be asked

• Registered Users Posts: 18 galpal123

If this exp comes up in Sec B then its very likely that the derivation will be asked

Would the experiment not be more likely to come up in Section A? There was a 12b question on wave nature of light in 2013 and a full question in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Are yous all leaving out the 4 experiments that came up in last years paper in section A?

ejayy wrote: »
    Are yous all leaving out the 4 experiments that came up in last years paper in section A?

I am they wont come again its never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 20 deadpixel

I am they wont come again its never happened

Electricity has been variations of one experiment 3 years in a row which is a little odd. Other than that it'd be very unlikely.

Thanks guys :)

Teachm wrote: »
    Its DEB.
    10133J
    Mass water 0 .552kg

Heat gained by ice=heat lost by water and heat lost by jug and heat lost to room
    2100x.025x8 and .025x3.3x10 5 and 4180x.025x14

10133J

10133=70%

14475.7=100%
    14475.=4180xmx6 + 510 x .2x6
    14475.7-612 =25080m
    25080. = .552kg

Thanks guys :)

Can a graph be asked for the speed of sound in air question? Its in my text book but not listed in the exam paper graph breakdown so I'm not sure. Doesn't seem too complicated anyway just checking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

deadpixel wrote: »
    Can a graph be asked for the speed of sound in air question? Its in my text book but not listed in the exam paper graph breakdown so I'm not sure. Doesn't seem too complicated anyway just checking.

I was thinking the same earlier. Its in my book too but not in my reviswise
    I just thought because the revisewise is so ****e they might have forgotten it but maybe not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

For the measurement of specific heat capacity do we need to know how to do it the electrical way as well as the mechanical way or??

aleatorio wrote: »
    For the measurement of specific heat capacity do we need to know how to do it the electrical way as well as the mechanical way or??

Both can come up .mechanical 2007 q2.
    Energy lost by hot copper =energy gained by water +energy gained by calorimeter
    390x.032x78.5=cx.0455x4.5 + 390x.0557x4.5
    979.68=.20475c + 97.7535
    979.68 - 97.735 = 0.20475c
    4307.42 J/kg/K
    Must write unit other way

If its a joule meter your left hand side of equation will just have a value eg.2345J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

aleatorio wrote: »

Yes you need to know both . They don't have to give you an option . It's basically the same anyway just different energy source .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Yes you need to know both . They don't have to give you an option . It's basically the same anyway just different energy source .

Ok, cos the one we learned was the mechanical one, so Ill just learn the electrical too just in case :o

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

The derivation of the diffraction grating formula hasn't come up in a while. Dunno if they'd put it on tho since it's probably the hardest (imo) derivation on the syllabus.

I think it's probably the easiest :o I think when I draw the diagram it suits me...Getting that Kepler's Law is the hardest for me...I don't know what's going on when I try to do it, I just plug everything in everywhere.

deadpixel wrote: »

Yes there is a chance that the graph could come up for this question. It appeared on one of the mock papers a few years back. Length on y axis versus 1/freq on x axis. The slope gives c, the speed of sound. The y intercept gives a value for -0.3d where d is the internal diameter of the resonance tube. 0.3d is the end correction ( the location of the antinode).

Yes there is a chance that the graph could come up for this question. It appeared on one of the mock papers a few years back. Length on y axis versus 1/freq on x axis. The slope gives c, the speed of sound. The y intercept gives a value for -0.3d where d is the internal diameter of the resonance tube. 0.3d is the end correction ( the location of the antinode).

Is it not lambda on y axis?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Teachm wrote: »
    Is it not lambda on y axis?

Yeah you're correct

• Advertisement

Real world physics has l in metres on y-axis vs 1/f (f/hz) Straight line, not through the origin as y-intercept is -.3d as stated above. Slope would be c/4 though from the formula c =4f(l+.3d)
    I'd say we're more to just be asked to figure it p
    out from the formula if the experiment does come up but good to know just in case.

Advertisement