Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert PHYSICS 2014 ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

What derivations should i learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

deadpixel wrote: »
    Real world physics has l in metres on y-axis vs 1/f (f/hz) Straight line, not through the origin as y-intercept is -.3d as stated above. Slope would be c/4 though from the formula c =4f(l+.3d)
    I'd say we're more to just be asked to figure it p
    out from the formula if the experiment does come up but good to know just in case.

This is correct.l on y axis versus 1 over f and slope x4 = c
    Plmko also correct if lambda on y axis versus 1 over f then slope = c

Did see it on a mock but think it a bit nasty if it came up however deadpixel is right to say better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

...Getting that Kepler's Law is the hardest for me...I don't know what's going on when I try to do it, I just plug everything in everywhere.

What is Kepler's Law?

LoveLamps wrote: »
    What derivations should i learn?

Equations of motion
    nlambda=dSin theta
    F=qvB (electromag)
    Resistors in series and parallel

The rest are in SHM and circular motion for the applied Maths students or those who love mechanics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

otpmb wrote: »
    What is Kepler's Law?

It's T^2= [4(pi^2)(r^3)]/GM

You get it by equating centripetal force and gravity and letting w^2= 4(pi^2)/T^2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Ive ignored Kepler and angular velocity. I know it but havent recently gone over it. Dont think itll come up tomorrow as it a question on planets came up last year IIRC. Either Hooke or SHM.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

Lara_15 wrote: »
    I thought physics was first, then accounting

Oh holy mother of God. Is it??

Oh holy mother of God. Is it??

Physics in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

Lol your fine for accounting then, do you know ratios? Im fine with everything but Im a bit dodgey on cash flows for some reason:( I dont know ratios and dont know whether I should do them I did them before but a long time ago...
    Oh and as Lara said Physics is 1st then accounting :p

I don't know my theory and that's the sad bit..now that I know we have accounting second I will just learn it during the break.

I am not doing ratio. I know the formula and all. But I only ever get max 85/100 in it. So I am better off knowing the rest. If you know the other 100 markers you should be okay. :) Is published likely to come up this year? It has come up twice in a row before. -.- I just realised that I haven't learned the notes bit on it.

Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

I don't know my theory and that's the sad bit..now that I know we have accounting second I will just learn it during the break.

I am not doing ratio. I know the formula and all. But I only ever get max 85/100 in it. So I am better off knowing the rest. If you know the other 100 markers you should be okay. :) Is published likely to come up this year? It has come up twice in a row before. -.- I just realised that I haven't learned the notes bit on it.

Ugh.
    It never came up twice in a row cheaking from 1997...You almost gave me a heartattack :....I didn't get time to do the ratio's shame really Im actually good at accounting I just didn't plan well..Hopefully all the good stuff will come up and I Dont know theory either but some of it is fine and you get attempt marks for common sense Ill just read through some tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Well.. I'm ready to fail this **** exam.

kn2k10 wrote: »
    Well.. I'm ready to fail this **** exam.

Im actually ****ing bricks at this stage Im so scared Ill fail and if I fail this Ill most likely have to repeat:( I really hope its a nice exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Lads, what's the point worrying and saying how badly you're going to do on here, go cram.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Lads, what's the point worrying and saying how badly you're going to do on here, go cram.

I haven't been able to 'cram' for the last two years. Physics makes no sense to me. I was falsely lead to believe that it was a fun practical subject, not another maths subject.
    **** teacher doesn't help either, he didn't even finish the course, but I won't rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

kn2k10 wrote: »
    I haven't been able to 'cram' for the last two years. Physics makes no sense to me. I was falsely lead to believe that it was a fun practical subject, not another maths subject.
    **** teacher doesn't help either, he didn't even finish the course, but I won't rant.

The whole course material and syllabus are available online. In much more detail than any textbook or teacher will ever have.

Aspiring wrote: »

Cramming atm Ill do it till 12 then going to bed Studying till 4 am wont work for me:p

Stupid question, can you pass using the log tables? Lol

Also it's a bit late for any new course material now, sorta wish I knew that earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

aleatorio wrote: »
    Ok, cos the one we learned was the mechanical one, so Ill just learn the electrical too just in case :o

The mechanical one? :eek: What's that? Is it using hot copper or something? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

The mechanical one? :eek: What's that? Is it using hot copper or something? :confused:

Yeah you heat a lump of metal up in a water bath :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

aleatorio wrote: »
    Yeah you heat a lump of metal up in a water bath :P

What are we, Archimedes? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

yes please share your knowledge, I only know the joulemeter one

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sirwhy

I finished up study there. Get a good sleep in and do some in the morning before the exam. I've found study in the morning to be most helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

anyone have any final experiment/derivation predictions before tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

I've been doing pass since March but I'm pretty certain there is no difference so I'm taking the honours paper tomoro :P

Last min advice.
    Go in and do section a first.dont look at section b till your 3 exp q are done
    CHOOSE YOUR Questionscarefully
    If you are using a formula for a definition,explain what each letter means.
    Make sure you answer every part of q

Use every min of three hours

Good luck again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

G by freefall, latent heat of vaporisation/fusion, snells law/speed of sound/wavelength of light/sonometer and Joules law/Resisitivity
    Induction, SHM, Nuclear reactions, Pair production/annihilation and a nice Q5

Hopefully I'll get some of this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Ah gad I'm doomed! Know nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

What a beautiful paper <3 fairly confident for an A1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    What a beautiful paper <3 fairly confident for an A1 :D

I got an A1, but I remember coming on here afterwards and having people like you depress me like hell! :D Glad it went well fo you. Were there any interesting Qs? Joule's Law? What did Q6 involve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Joules law, conservation of momentum, speed of sound in air and snells law were the experiments. Q6 had derivation of F=ma, difference between vectors and scalars, then the calculation was based on a golf ball being hit (find initial speed and Max height)

Advertisement