Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Construction 2014 - all levels **

• 06-06-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭

Predictions... GO!!

I think sound will feature this year and please god.
    Who is doing Q.10 (A)? Lovely question. thoughts on what will feature?
    I think there will be a part on thermal mass on Q.5 part c/b
    And detail drawings I'm going in knowing them all as I'm planning on question 7.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

does any one have predictions for q1 or q7 as i am planning on doing them ?
    Golfanatic wrote: »
    Predictions... GO!!

I think sound will feature this year and please god.
    Who is doing Q.10 (A)? Lovely question. thoughts on what will feature?
    I think there will be a part on thermal mass on Q.5 part c/b
    And detail drawings I'm going in knowing them all as I'm planning on question 7.

what can come up on sound ?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

How toughly do they mark in construction? got 36 in my mock, my project was okay and the portfolio was okay but my practical test went fairly badly did not get it to fit together and we have done very little theory in class. Is there a good chance of me failing higher level or should I stick with?

How toughly do they mark in construction? got 36 in my mock, my project was okay and the portfolio was okay but my practical test went fairly badly did not get it to fit together and we have done very little theory in class. Is there a good chance of me failing higher level or should I stick with?

dont no how strict the marking is i would actually like to find out as well but i think you should stick with HL now your drawing and thats two qs covered and then your u value which is easy when u now the formula so if your struggling now them

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

Does anybody know the marking scheme for construction? Like in a 3 part question how many points should I write and how many marks are the sketches worth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Examinations. Ie has all the marking schemes for all subjects and years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

seavill wrote: »
    Examinations. Ie has all the marking schemes for all subjects and years

Yes but they're not very comprehensive. Its hard to tell how exactly they mark these tests, I find. Its the only thing I don't like about the subject. What exactly is the criteria for full marks? Take Q6 for example, the environmental question, how much points must you make and how detailed must they be? Its very frustrating not knowing.

The advice I tell my students is try to make 3 distinct points on each answer you make - not repeat the same thing 3 times just worded a different way but if you go back over all the marking schemes in general the max they look for is 3 points.
    Almost every part of every question asks for sketches, I viewed a scrpit of a student of mine last year when he wasn't happy as he was usually an A or high B student, he didnt sketch where required or he sketched but didn't write any notes with the sketch.

What is on examinations.ie is the best you will get anywhere. Again my students fall down writing waffly answers, write facts and you will get the marks, be as specific as possible. It doesnt have to be essay type answers, bulled points will do.

Where you pick up the marks is reading the question properly. Does it say explain, discuss, list etc. If it says explain or discuss make at least 3 points. Usually a sketch with each. The sketches don't have to be like a scale drawing but if you ensure there is a sketch with each you will pick up marks. Sometimes it says explain 3 reasons with notes and neat freehand sketches. Some people would do one sketch to cover all 3, I would encourage you to do 3 sketches.

How detailed? Look at your time. Plan your exam how long have you for each question? Use that time - that is how detailed you need to be. If you have 25 mins for a question and you answer in in 15 you havn't given enough detail for and A.
    The main thing I find even when correcting my own class exams is people making general statements that the dog on the street would be able to tell you not giving exact details that a construction studies student of 2 years should be able to give you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 markcahill02

Here's what I'm expecting and have covered well

-The door could be likely for the Q.1.
    -Expecting a retro fit question too based around thermal properties and glazing.
    -U-values question seems to come up every year.
    -Make sure you know the timber frame details as I think one of them could feature in the Q.7 as that has not been asked in the past years. Could make a surprise appearance.
    -Your always left with a broad range of topics in the remaining questions. I'll be hoping for something along the lines of air tightness, passive house standards, MHRV, Insulation as I don't have much of plumbing and electricity covered

i am planning on doing a few exam questions today how many minutes should i spend on each question say if its q6 theres an A and B part is it split 30 30 or 40 20 and the same say for q 3 there A B C is it split 20 20 20 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Colinted

Well lads and lassies,

anyone have any predictions what drawings might come up in question 1 or what ones I should study?

And predictions on any other questions if you have any

Cheers

• Advertisement

Here's what I'm expecting and have covered well

-The door could be likely for the Q.1.
    -Expecting a retro fit question too based around thermal properties and glazing.
    -U-values question seems to come up every year.
    -Make sure you know the timber frame details as I think one of them could feature in the Q.7 as that has not been asked in the past years. Could make a surprise appearance.
    -Your always left with a broad range of topics in the remaining questions. I'll be hoping for something along the lines of air tightness, passive house standards, MHRV, Insulation as I don't have much of plumbing and electricity covered

Door as in door threshold?

Colinted wrote: »
    Door as in door threshold?

ya as in a door threshold

Thanks a lot for that seavill! You cleared a few things up for me.

Does anyone know where I can find the construction details of a house that meet the passive house standards? Or can somebody give me a run-down of the extras added on to a passive house compared to a regular construction. I know theres more insulation but specific diagrams would be nice! My teacher skipped the whole section of passive housing and I'm worried a question like part c in the U-value question in 2012 might come up.

If you know anyone that has the new book from educate.ie get constructive. Failing that try one if the school book shops. Have a look at it there

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hontheroyalz

Would I be more or less sorted for an A1 considering my project,brief and practical were decent with
    All drawings
    Retrofitting
    Passive house (mvhr etc)
    Sewage
    Heating
    U values
    Wheelchair access

Would I be more or less sorted for an A1 considering my project,brief and practical were decent with
    All drawings
    Retrofitting
    Passive house (mvhr etc)
    Sewage
    Heating
    U values
    Wheelchair access

what have you covered in passive house apart from mechanical heat recovery systems. ?

caolan1996 wrote: »
    what have you covered in passive house apart from mechanical heat recovery systems. ?

Pretty much everything

Pretty much everything

ya but what topics i dont no them all myself i want to look over them

caolan1996 wrote: »
    ya but what topics i dont no them all myself i want to look over them

oh right em advantage+disadvantages in mvhr comes up alot
    So does how to cool a passive house in the summer
    Energy performance
    Air tightness
    Windows+glazing
    Foundations
    Solar gain+orientation
    Insulation
    Know the wall/window/eaves detail

That pretty much covers you for the passive house and retro fitting question as on the retro fitting just say you would change it to the above

oh right em advantage+disadvantages in mvhr comes up alot
    So does how to cool a passive house in the summer
    Energy performance
    Air tightness
    Windows+glazing
    Foundations
    Solar gain+orientation
    Insulation
    Know the wall/window/eaves detail

That pretty much covers you for the passive house and retro fitting question as on the retro fitting just say you would change it to the above

thanks probably the only thing i need to do is windows and glazing and thats it hoping for an A or high B

• Advertisement

Anyone going to do question 3 Renovations?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Colinted wrote: »
    Anyone going to do question 3 Renovations?

Most likely, its pretty much common sense :pac:

Badwulf wrote: »
    Most likely, its pretty much common sense :pac:

Is there much else other than ways to increase solar gain and thermal properties and increased sunlight that can come up in that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Anyone got any tips on how to do U values? Im a bit dodgy on them

A part or b part?

Remember the formulas and you're fine:

Dived the measurement they give you by 1000 to put it in metres.

T/k = R
    T×r = R
    U = 1/R
    Likewise R(total)=1/U (if it asks for the thickness of a material given its U value in part b)
    T = measurement in metres
    R = resistance
    k = conductivity
    r = resistivity

For the cost of heating question:

U × A × theta (highest temperature - lowest temperature)
    Multiply this answer by the time it gives.
    Divide by 1000
    Divide by the calorific value of oil given
    This is the amount of litres so multiply this by the cost of 1 litre to get how much money the heat lost cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Oconnor 2011

Hey does anyone have solid predictions and know what drawing might come up in question 1 ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 juke46

So I have the rest of the evening and tomorrow to study for this exam which is a middling subject for me, any advice on topics to study apart from passive housing and sewage?

Any chance someone can help me out with the part (b)'s in u-value questions as I am completely lost in them ?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

go over light, heat, sound thats what my teacher sad might come up and i personally think water systems will come up

• Advertisement

It is highly unlikely that both light and sound will both come up in the same year, there are at least 3 different construction threads already open you will find a lot of info there

Advertisement