Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Construction 2014 - all levels **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Colinted

Question 3 renovations and Q6 environmental impact could be two good ones to do

They come up every year and are basically the same every year with a few different bits in the b parts. There's a lot of common sense in these questions aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

Think the plan for me will be Q's 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7. Anyone have predictions for 1 and 7? My teacher said a chance of the fuel burning stove/chimney stack that came up question 7 last year being question 1 this year.
    Here are some links people might find useful:
    www [dot] constructiontechnology [dot] ie/
    davittcollege [dot] com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Construction-Drawings [dot] pdf

(Replace [dot] with . )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Hoping for a nice paper tomorrow, really need it. Im gonna do the Passive Housing, retrofitting, Uvalue, Q1 obviously but not sure about the last one. Anyone have any ideas/tips of what to study tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Drainage/Sewage - I don't think it ever goes 2 years without coming up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

what are the need to know things for passive housing?

FatRat wrote: »
    Drainage/Sewage - I don't think it ever goes 2 years without coming up!

I haven't notion on that so I've a long day ahead ha, how does one even study that??
    Badwulf wrote: »
    what are the need to know things for passive housing?

Read back a page or so someone explained it

Is it safe to say I failed my day one practical because

>it didnt fit together
    >I done a few joints in the wrong places
    >I didnt do the curves on the two shelf pieces

I did get all the right joints done at the end tho but it still wouldnt fit

>it didnt fit together

I would take this with a pinch of salt but I think if it's marked out correctly you get a good amount of marks, never assume you've it failed because you'd be surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

can some one tell me the timing for each question and what is the change of heat/water coming up again two years in a row ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

>it didnt fit together

Don't assume that you have failed. The majority of the marks are for marking it out correctly. There are only a few marks for the curves. You will get marks for what you have done no matter how it is put together. If you even looked at the drawings and tried to mark them out then you will get some marks.

Take a look at how last years practical was marked

http://examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2013/LC029ALP000EV.pdf

caolan1996 wrote: »
    can some one tell me the timing for each question and what is the change of heat/water coming up again two years in a row ?

About 30 mins per question. Spend a bit extra on the drawing questions if you need. Heat could come up again, then again it mightn't. I don't make predictions anymore, because the blame always comes back on me if it goes wrong!

But would I lose marks for having extra "accident" joints?

But would I lose marks for having extra "accident" joints?

Did you just add in random joints? You will lose some marks for the incorrect marking out of the joint(s) that you did wrong, but that's a few marks - you won't get penalised again for the mistake, although you may lose a few when it comes to the overall quality of the artifact.

Did you just add in random joints? You will lose some marks for the incorrect marking out of the joint(s) that you did wrong, but that's a few marks - you won't get penalised again for the mistake, although you may lose a few when it comes to the overall quality of the artifact.

I put one mortice joint on the wrong end then put it on the right end

I put one mortice joint on the wrong end then put it on the right end

So it ended up right in the end? You will get the marks for the joint being in the right place. Not too sure on where you will lose marks for the incorrect joint - I'm not too in tune with this years practical or the marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dylan_1996

With the project and the write up and practical done, can i afford to do pretty poorly in the theory and still pass? I only need a d3 because im not counting it as one of my subjects :p

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

About 30 mins per question. Spend a bit extra on the drawing questions if you need. Heat could come up again, then again it mightn't. I don't make predictions anymore, because the blame always comes back on me if it goes wrong!

When you say heat, are ye talking about the heating system? Like showing the radiator config/solar panel/boiler system?

Dylan_1996 wrote: »
    With the project and the write up and practical done, can i afford to do pretty poorly in the theory and still pass? I only need a d3 because im not counting it as one of my subjects :p

You need to at least pass the theory to pass the exam.

When you say heat, are ye talking about the heating system? Like showing the radiator config/solar panel/boiler system?

Yes heating system/water system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

You need to at least pass the theory to pass the exam.

Not necessarily... practical is worth 25% and Project is worth 25%... doesn't that mean that you could technically get 0% in the theory and still pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dylan_1996

Not necessarily... practical is worth 25% and Project is worth 25%... doesn't that mean that you could technically get 0% in the theory and still pass?

Not looking for anything spectacular marks wise, just dont want a fail on my report.
    Im quite confident with the theory of the exam

I was convinced that you needed to pass the theory side in order to pass the whole exam, I must be wrong though - I can't find anything to back that up. It's what I tell my groups anyway, scare them into studying! Realistically if one was to get the full 50% in the practical and project, obviously they are an outstanding student, they aren't going to get 0% in the theory side...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

What drawings should I focus on today? I can't learn all of them in one night but I can learn 2 or 3 pretty well! Also get a bit stuck on the U values question.. do you multiply or divide to get the resistance?

Saxo wrote: »
    What drawings should I focus on today? I can't learn all of them in one night but I can learn 2 or 3 pretty well! Also get a bit stuck on the U values question.. do you multiply or divide to get the resistance?

con(d)uctivity = (d)ivide

resistivity = multiply

so it would be thickness divided/multiplied by the conductivity/resistivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Dylan_1996 wrote: »

You hope - you are banking on something not going wrong somewhere else. Put in the effort now one last push why waste it.

seavill wrote: »
    You hope - you are banking on something not going wrong somewhere else. Put in the effort now one last push why waste it.

right ok what are some last minute tips you would give someone like what should i watch out for and different things to do in the exam ? thanks

If you have done no work up to now have a look at the common things, if you have a half decent idea of U-value practice a few of those tonight. Passive house, redesign of a house, and the environmentally sustainable design questions have come up for the last few years, the passive question is similar to talking about insulation etc. so knowing that can help other areas, the redesign and the environmentally sustainable design questions are a lot of common sense if you make sure to answer what the question is asking of you.

The essay question is always there also, again this is a general type question to assess your general understanding of the whole area od construction studies rather than a chapter you can learn off. If you are good are writing persuasive type essays this is a nice one to do. Again look at what it asks, it usually says discuss and then do something, most people just jump into the recommendations and forget to discuss the topic first. It would usually take me 3 reads of that long sentence to fully understand it so take your time and don't be put off by it.

For drawings know all the basics - size of strip foundation, walls, cavity, insulation, floor layers, rafter, joist etc. even if you don't know the specifics like a fireplace or something like that draw the basics and you will get marks for those provided you do them right

thanks i think i will do ten A instead the one about mvhr as i know it better and thats what i done my project on
    you see for the timing what would you recommend 35 each ? and see for example q 6 part B if it says for materials and labour how many points do i do as i tend to write to much and go over the time and other times i dont write enough so how much ?

• Advertisement

Generally I would suggest 3-4 points on anything - not the same point made 3 different ways as my lads love to do, 3 distinct points. Make the point and write maybe 2-3 sentences to explain what you have said.

Stick to your time even if in the middle of a question. Just stop leave space and move onto the next one. Once you go over in one all your times get thrown out everywhere.
    If you have time then at the end come back to that question you left half way through

Advertisement