Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Construction 2014 - all levels **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Supersonic42

For q6a you need to make sure you have a sketch to go with each of the 3 points you make. The sketches doesn't have to be fantastic but half the marks are for the sketch so you need them. For part b you don't need to write loads. Just make a clear point and explain fully. If it's something like materials and labour you need to explain the importance of both. Only explain 1 of them will get you half marks tops.
    Also for q1 don't forget to label everything, have at least 4 dimensions on the drawing and clearly label part b with a red pen. Failing to identify part b will result in no marks even if you have it correct on the drawing. Btw quality of draughtsmanship isn't overly important so , speed over accuracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

For q6a you need to make sure you have a sketch to go with each of the 3 points you make. The sketches doesn't have to be fantastic but half the marks are for the sketch so you need them. For part b you don't need to write loads. Just make a clear point and explain fully. If it's something like materials and labour you need to explain the importance of both. Only explain 1 of them will get you half marks tops.
    Also for q1 don't forget to label everything, have at least 4 dimensions on the drawing and clearly label part b with a red pen. Failing to identify part b will result in no marks even if you have it correct on the drawing. Btw quality of draughtsmanship isn't overly important so , speed over accuracy.

thanks great help

need help to elaborate some points in the Q6's which it says show how this house has low environmental impact..I usually say:

lots of windows
    -south facing (les glazing less north and more on south)
    -triple glazing argon filled windows
    - then I go about explaining how this reduces the bill/costs and reduces the dependency on Fossel fuels to heat the house

solar panel:
    -south facing, pitch of roof 45degrees for maximum benefit from the sun
    -reduces costs because it can heat the water...

rain water harvesting:
    -can be used for washing machine or toilets
    -environmental impact is that it doesn't waste filtered water on toilets and washing machines
    -I would also say it's good because they are bringing in the water charges and stuff

isn't this how your supposed to do it? with more details and diagrams ofcourse

am I missing anything? if so please point it out and I hope I contributed some of my ideas too

need help to elaborate some points in the Q6's which it says show how this house has low environmental impact..I usually say:

lots of windows
    -south facing (les glazing less north and more on south)
    -triple glazing argon filled windows
    - then I go about explaining how this reduces the bill/costs and reduces the dependency on Fossel fuels to heat the house

solar panel:
    -south facing, pitch of roof 45degrees for maximum benefit from the sun
    -reduces costs because it can heat the water...

rain water harvesting:
    -can be used for washing machine or toilets
    -environmental impact is that it doesn't waste filtered water on toilets and washing machines
    -I would also say it's good because they are bringing in the water charges and stuff

isn't this how your supposed to do it? with more details and diagrams ofcourse

am I missing anything? if so please point it out and I hope I contributed some of my ideas too

ya well thats how i do it i also put in
    a stove i say they bun wood which is carbon neutral and it is 70% to 80% effective than an open fire which is 30% at best then i go about saying it reduces costs on fuel and lowers bills

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

Anyone have any ideas about what drawings to go over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Colinted

Anyone have any ideas about what drawings to go over?

Somebody said earlier they think door threshold could come up and to know timber frame details. I'd also look at roofs and the stove chimney stack from Q 7 last year.

Colinted wrote: »
    Somebody said earlier they think door threshold could come up and to know timber frame details. I'd also look at roofs and the stove chimney stack from Q 7 last year.

why the stove one from last years?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

Anyone have a link to door threshold drawing? Dont seem to have it done

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mossintor

any last minute things to look over apart from drawings?

Think the plan for me will be Q's 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7. Anyone have predictions for 1 and 7? My teacher said a chance of the fuel burning stove/chimney stack that came up question 7 last year being question 1 this year.
    Here are some links people might find useful:
    www [dot] constructiontechnology [dot] ie/
    davittcollege [dot] com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Construction-Drawings [dot] pdf

(Replace [dot] with . )
    Mayo4sam14 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to door threshold drawing? Dont seem to have it done

There are most of the drawings there.

There are no timber frame ones though, does anyone have links to those ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

Is there a chance they could put the water meter for the question 1 drawing?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

http://constructionstudiesq1.weebly.com/

I shoulda posted this sooner :pac:

omara95 wrote: »
    Is there a chance they could put the water meter for the question 1 drawing?

What do you mean by the water meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

I swear to god, if this exam pulls a BIO 2014 on me and dosn't have two drawing questions and a U values question ima flip my desk and cartwheel out the window

water meter? havnt seen that one EVER so If I see it im holding o mara responsible and I will skin him

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

What do you mean by the water meter?

A drawing that shows the mains water supply which goes through the water meter and into the house. We did it last year just taught it might come up considering the water meters are being installed at the moment.

Would love a handy timber 1st floor or window detail :D

Would love a handy timber 1st floor or window detail :D

Would that be the timber external wall with the window head details and the join between external wall and first floor details?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Does anybody have the formula for the seconde part of the U value where you have to multiply by days hours etc.?

Is fire placed ground floor tipped?

Is fire placed ground floor tipped?

twitter [dot] com/LC_Stats/status/473872414536105984

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

im fuc#ked

Does anybody have the formula for the seconde part of the U value where you have to multiply by days hours etc.?

U-Value x area x temperature difference = watts

ans x 60x 60 x (hours) x 7 x (weeks) = j's

ans/1000= kj's

ans/35370 = litres

litres x (cost) = €

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ziggy Stardust

I'm ready to make U Values and Passive Housing my bitch.

Other than that, the other questions are fit to **** me right up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

I'm ready to make U Values and Passive Housing my bitch.

Other than that, the other questions are fit to **** me right up.

Same here , we did **** all theory in class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

U-Value x area x temperature difference = watts

ans x 60x 60 x (hours) x 7 x (weeks) = j's

ans/1000= kj's

ans/35370 = litres

litres x (cost) = €

That's provided it says in the question the heating is on 7 days a week otherwise subsititue 7 for the number of days in the question

• Registered Users Posts: 16 K1ultra

Did anyone get roughly €23.18 for the heat loss calculation? It seemed very low when I got it but I double checked everything. The u-value was fairly low so that could be it or else I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

How did ye find the exam guys? Haven't and probably won't get a chance to see the paper until it appears online.

K1ultra wrote: »
    Did anyone get roughly €23.18 for the heat loss calculation? It seemed very low when I got it but I double checked everything. The u-value was fairly low so that could be it or else I'm wrong

I got €49.61 and so did a girl in my class, could be wrong though, I didn't double check, just assumed it was right since it wasn't like €.000001 or €1000000

Also question one was tricky for me, it was Timber Frame wall with concrete block outer leaf with a prefabricated roof, slated.
    Part (b) was airtightness between the roof and the wall...I said "Téip Ceadaithe" at the joint and circled it in the drawing. Possibly something like "Sealing Tape" in English.

• Advertisement

How did ye find the exam guys? Haven't and probably won't get a chance to see the paper until it appears online.

it was grand..q1 was timber frame and eaves tiles to ridge that may have put people off but I it wasnt that bad

q10 no MHRV :o nevertheless luckily I prepared further into passive house in the morning at 6:00am (paid off well)

q7 was window casement (I didn't attempt it)

q2 was wheel chair access nothing too bad

q6 like usual 3 details reducing environmental impact and stuff

q5 U-Values just like normal parts a, b and c were just perfect

anyways personal thanks to you for helping me out it really did help! finally I'm FREE

Advertisement